Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GPS Sustainability

Re: GPS Sustainability

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    "The military ..esp the USA..probably already has their own sats in operation"

1. Military in exactly the same situation, probably even a little more. NO such think as their own satellites.
    do you think they would make it public knowledge if they did have their own?

1. GPS signals are and I quote "delivered free of direct user fees for peaceful civil, commercial, and scientific uses worldwide."

2. If Nokia charge a fee then this is something solely to do with Nokia and Nokia alone as rest assured Nokia is not paying any fee for access to GPS.

3. The economy and flow on based on the civil side of GPS is simply staggering and increasing multi fold year to year. The military side of the system is nothing compared to the civil market. This is what the "commercial operators" tried to do with Galileo, build a system then build and market products to suit that system. That is a licence to print money as witnessed by the growth realized through GPS.

"do you think they would make it public knowledge if they did have their own?"

1. IF they did we would know it was there, obviously would not be able to use it, but certainly know it existed. Not even the US can launch satellites without somebody knowing something.

2. No it would be 100% certain a separate US sole military navigation system along the lines of GPS does not exist.

I think I sense some scaremongering .
    Satnav, do you have something up your sleeve that you think we should be investigating? And maybe outlaying our hard earned on
    I find it hard to believe that this system will degrade to a point worse than say 10 years when it worked fine for most users

Does this mean we have been ripped off upgrading our EPIRBS???
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse that last line was what I was thinking but satnav will have a clear and valid answer that will be correct and we shouldnt argue
    As satnav (satelite navigation) obviously depends on the satelite part does this mean he will become less reliable to the point we cant hear him anymore.

Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

SatNav I assume you are referring to the following. http://groups.google.com/group/sci.g...24e9019a34430f#

I suspect it is more a two pronged tactic for securing either defence or private sector funding rather than a real probability of degradation or failure.

I wouldn't worry too much, there are far bigger fish than us fishos in the commercial sector with an interest in the continued viability of the system who simply won't sit back and let it fail. Google have already backed a broadband satellite network, why not GPS to complement their mapping and digital imagery stable.

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid View Post
    Horse that last line was what I was thinking but satnav will have a clear and valid answer that will be correct and we shouldnt argue
    As satnav (satelite navigation) obviously depends on the satelite part does this mean he will become less reliable to the point we cant hear him anymore.

Craig
    So you are saying that the satelite service quality may have already degraded such that "satnav" him self might be on the fritz ......that might explain a few things .

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

1. NO this is not about scaremongering

2. NO there is nothing else that can be investigated

3. NO you haven't been ripped off with updating EPIRB's which in essence primarily use a totally separate and quite different system

"I suspect it is more a two pronged tactic for securing either defence or private sector funding rather than a real probability of degradation or failure.”

NO goes much deeper than simply funding

“the commercial sector with an interest in the continued viability of the system who simply won't sit back and let it fail.”

NO commercial sector has any control or say in this regard at all and is one reason for Galileo as the Europeans expected the US to allow part "civil" control of GPS and that was not on, was not on then, is not on now. The commercial sector can only sit back and wait, no option.

No the commercial sector can do rather a lot more than sit back and wait.

Commercial intetrests in the US are an incredibly powerfull lobby group, I can not see them sitting back and letting their ability to navigate get pissed up against the wall.

remember the US is a capitalist economy an very much dependent on trade and shipping.....not to mention their ability to move and navigate their massive miliraty.

so untill I hear differently from a reliable source, I will treat this thread as little more than a "puff piece".

Regardless there is nothing any of us can do about it.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

1. Probably a good time to reiterate the original question as a few are beginning to wander off course a little and getting a bit tied up .

Question?

1. IF GPS availability got down to a level where current normal everyday accepted capabilities could no longer be delivered what affect would this have on this user community?

2. This may sound a hyprthetical question but would suggest this is becoming increasingly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Probably a good time to reiterate the original question as a few are beginning to wander off course a little and getting a bit tied up .

Question?

1. IF GPS availability got down to a level where current normal everyday accepted capabilities could no longer be delivered what affect would this have on this user community?

2. This may sound a hyprthetical question but would suggest this is becoming increasingly possible.

1.discussion is part of a forum and sometime questions need to be adressed before an answer can be given.

1.1 Minimal,people would adapt back to oldschool navigation,we did it before gps was commonplace,a few locations would get less fishing pressure.

2.refer to answer 1

Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

give up on the questions..if you have information (and valid information at that), then share it..if not don't bother with the guessing games..not interested

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav;1016038
    [FONT=Verdana
    NO commercial sector has any control or say in this regard at all and is one reason for Galileo as the Europeans expected the US to allow part "civil" control of GPS and that was not on, was not on then, is not on now. The commercial sector can only sit back and wait, no option.[/FONT]
    NO one has a monopoly on the provision of GPS. And besides the return is in the sale of receiver systems. Just as everyone now has to buy new epirbs, so to it could be possible that GPS receivers may need to be changed/upgraded as new GPS systems are implemented - not necessarily by the US.

Current GPS is merely another stepping stone/version 1 of more advanced and sophisticated navigation systems, just as communication systems have evolved.

It's not the end of the road but just the beginning and the private sector will be there adapting military and space age developments as they always have.