Thread: Gary Howard Surf Classic Heavy + Alvey 6500BCVRR Reel

Gary Howard Surf Classic Heavy + Alvey 6500BCVRR Reel

Looking for anyone's feedback on the new Rod & Reel I am about to purchase. It is a Gary Howard Surf Classic Heavy 13'6" 2P LM 8~12kg with an Alvey 6500BCVRR reel and 10kg line. I intend on using this Rod & Reel to fish Tailor on Fraser Island. Very new to surf fishing and I want to make sure I am investing in the right gear from the start. Thanks in Advance

Re: Gary Howard Surf Classic Heavy + Alvey 6500BCVRR Reel

I fish a Gary Howard North Shore, and the same reel in a 6000.
    Lighter outfit than some, but being lighter means it doesn't hurt when I fish it for hours.
    I was talked into it by the guys at tackle warehouse and havent looked back. I walked in there to buy a g.h. greenback and a 6500.
    Might be worth having a chat with Gordie.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    I fish a Gary Howard North Shore, and the same reel in a 6000.
    Lighter outfit than some, but being lighter means it doesn't hurt when I fish it for hours.
    I was talked into it by the guys at tackle warehouse and havent looked back. I walked in there to buy a g.h. greenback and a 6500.
    Might be worth having a chat with Gordie.
    I went in to the Tackle Warehouse yesterday, not sure who I spoke to, and the North Shore was the rod that was recommended. I then went in today, spoke to someone else and he recommended the Surf Classic heavy.

Yes, I seem to remember I bought mine on a Tuesday.........
    Mate I dunno what else to say.

There are some beach focussed dudes around here - I'd like to hear their opinions too.

Mate that's a heavy rig for tailor of the beach. Try 6kg line with a 10kg leader, you'll cast further for longer periods. Try having a spare spool with heavier line if the need arises. Is the Gary Howard rod heavy to hold, 8 - 12kg is a lot of rod.
    The advantage of an Alvey reel is you can get a lot of line on to play a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jerson View Post
    Mate that's a heavy rig for tailor of the beach. Try 6kg line with a 10kg leader, you'll cast further for longer periods. Try having a spare spool with heavier line if the need arises. Is the Gary Howard rod heavy to hold, 8 - 12kg is a lot of rod.
    The advantage of an Alvey reel is you can get a lot of line on to play a bigger fish.
    Thanks for your comments. It didn't feel heavy at all to hold but I was worried it was too heavy as I want to catch other species and not just Tailor. Will have to see how much a spare spool would cost for the Alvey, probably not that much cheaper than and entire new reel. I was thinking of dropping back to the Surf Classic Medium, what do you recommend?

maybe the surf classic heavy might be too big for a starter? especially if you plan on using it as an all rounder. I got a north shore and it is light but I like it for chasing bream in the surf (I just use one of those light surf alveys for that)
    if it's reasonably calm and windless I just wack a bigger reel on as the end of the day approaches and I want to have a crack at a tailor. I think the north shore is a good all rounder for light/med work, get more use out of it too if it will be the only surf rod you have for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSI View Post
    Thanks for your comments. It didn't feel heavy at all to hold but I was worried it was too heavy as I want to catch other species and not just Tailor. Will have to see how much a spare spool would cost for the Alvey, probably not that much cheaper than and entire new reel. I was thinking of dropping back to the Surf Classic Medium, what do you recommend?
    The rod might not feel heavy now but once you chuck one of those ancient round pieces of plastic they call an alvey on & start fishing you will definately start to feel the weight. I prefer spinning reels off the beach so I'm going to recommend a Nitro Surf assassin with a 4000 size reel with 20lb braid. Not saying alveys aren't good, I'm sure they will last allot longer in the surf but for me I'd rather have my spinning outfit anyday & my arms sure feel allot better after a nights fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSI View Post
    I use a 7" alvey without any drag, just use your hand as a drag, you will catch very big fish using this method, it will also teach you a lot about playing any fish no matter where or what rod & reel combination you use. The reel is about 25 years old so i don't know what the model number is. You won't find any egg beater reels used on the beach that will last like that, as for the weight, the alvey is on a much shorter butt putting it closer to your body so you won't find it to heavy. The new models also come in much lighter materials than mine.
    The feeling catching a good fish with one of these reels is special.
    Hope you get a few.
    Don't forget, Tailor flesh makes great bait in a deep gutter late at night.
    The big ones will eat their cousins.

Stick with the alvey on the beach mate.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

I had the Gary Howard Surf Classic Heavy custom made for an eggbeater late last year. I bought it for the sole purpose of chasing Jew off the beach. I’m 6’2” and don’t have any issues hanging onto it for long periods (6 hrs) with a baitrunner 6000 on it. It’s not back breaking and quite comfortable. I throw heavy baits and large sinkers and it does the job fantastically. It loads beautifully under strain, has plenty of low end grunt and is a pleasure to fish with. It’s the best fishing related purchase I’ve made in a while and would recommend the rod to anyone wanting to do the same.
    However I would not use it to fish for bream, whiting and tailor. It is too powerful and for me would not be pleasurable. I have quite literally skull dragged an 8lb Jew with it thinking it was a chopper tailor. If I were just starting out and looking for a rod to chase tailor and other bread and butter fish in the surf, I would be looking at something in the 6-10kg range. It is much more fun to feel the bites and really have to work to get a larger fish out of the break. Alveys are indestructible and are always good choices off the beach. Everyone will say the same. Off the beach you really don’t need much more than 15lb line for most fish. There are usually not many snags and you have time to wear a big fish out provided you have the line capacity. With finer line you also don’t have to contend with wave action and sweep as much. Meaning lighter weights and better feel. Just use a heavier leader to prevent bite offs and wear. Over time you’ll get more use and better catches on a rig of this type than loading up with heavy gear straight away. That’s just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

Thanks for every ones input. I think after reading everything that i will buy the Gary Howard Surf Classic Medium 6~10kg and get 2 x Alvey Reels with different line on each. Now I just have to find the outlet that will give me the best deal!

Gordie from the Tackle Warehouse on Old Cleveland Rd, Camp Hill sorted me out with the Surf Classic MED and Alvey 6500BCVRR Reel. Absolutely stoked with the Rod & Reel and can't speak highly enough of the excellent service & advice Gordie gave me on each and every accessory I purchased right down to choosing the right catch bag. Will head out for an early Sunday morning cast this weekend

There'll be sweet dreams tonight mate - congrats.

Ill second that mate, good decision. I have a plethora of surf rods. My tailor rod is a medium surf classic with an alvey 650 C. for light work i have a 625 B matched to a snyder mag bream white tip. and for the really heavy work i have a ft5162 with a 700 E5 alvey and 30lb line. not to mention an mt7144 for rock work, and a new one under construction is a ft8144 prototype for the heavy rocks for jew and lbg.

cheers

Owen