Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: courtesy on the dams

Re: courtesy on the dams

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid View Post
    Whitto,read old mates comment correctly,he states the fish hit hard and fast then went off the bite after a bit of noise was made,after a period of time the fish came back on the chew after they had had some quiet time.Sounds a lot like he agrees with the concept of this thread and gave a real life account.
    I agree that people moving in and making noise when you are fishing a location is disrespectfull and wrong.
    Some comments on this thread like dont come into a bay if someone is in there are extreme in the opposite dirrection.
    The idea of education at the ramps is great and would be a lot more usefull than a sticker.
    If a permit is required people should be handed a flyer with fishing etiquite practices printed on it along with regulations and bag limits etc..when they get their permit.
    There will always be a section of society that will not adhere to any rules,sensibility or courtesy as they believe the world owes them something,these people should be culled at the earliest convienence.

Craig
    What whitto was surgesting is that its not always noise as a rule I think the fish them selves react to being caught regardless of noise as a fish is caught they put of a vibration which spook other not to mention a few being caught out such a hole in which intern puts the bite off...

As a fish is caught it either does one of two things it stimulate reaction hence multiple hook ups then it dies and they go off or the later puts them off completly... let me know Whitto if I am off the mark

Another rule could be

Dont go between the bank & another angler - Go around - quietly!!!!
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

what about a big "MAROON" flag to put up while your in steath mode, it may get in the way a bit while casting....but..with a big "GET BACK YOUR HUNDRED"..on it....may be seen a bit better than a stika..... and of course any NSW fishoes will know they CANT get over that line...
    deano...
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by hkconc View Post
    A few years ago, we droped into the mostly dry condermine river at cecil plains.
    Found a few holes around 30 meters round. Threw a lure in and you could see the yellas from all direction hitting the lure. After a few releases and plenty of noise, they went quiet. We moved onto the next hole further on, same thing. We later moved back to the holes we hit previously, same hits. Proves that the more noise you make the fish go off.
    hkconcs original post,he would appear to me to be a relatively new member who is making a statement that agrees with the sentiments set out in this thread,if not through a slightly different situation.read the last line of his comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    What it proves Mate is that the yellas are Land locked and have a poor food source....You could have thrown a hook with a piece of rag attached and caught fish......nothing to do with noise at all.

Whittos response,to me reads like someone disagreeing for the sake of it.in my opinion he has completely missed the point of the post and possibly discouraged hkconks future participation in this thread which is a shame.
    If whitto was meaning to say something different he should come out and make his point clearly or did he just have to be right.

Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    What whitto was surgesting is that its not always noise as a rule I think the fish them selves react to being caught regardless of noise as a fish is caught they put of a vibration which spook other not to mention a few being caught out such a hole in which intern puts the bite off...

As a fish is caught it either does one of two things it stimulate reaction hence multiple hook ups then it dies and they go off or the later puts them off completly... let me know Whitto if I am off the mark
    No that's good Nath.....for a moment I thought I must have been talking some other language......Now back to Courtesy on the Water
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Tony,

Thanks, just recovering from back op and progressing well, just can't wait to get back to fishing.

Regards

Trev
    Trev

Mate, I hope the recovery is speedy. It was really nice to meet you guys in March....hope the rest of your time was as enjoyable for you.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Another slogan, but this one is Johnny's personal calling card:

Stealth, Respect, Courtesy, Distance

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Tony,

Thanks, just recovering from back op and progressing well, just can't wait to get back to fishing.

Regards

Trev
    Make sure you keep up your exercises and you'll be sweet as,from one who knows.
    As regards the courtesy problem,some people just don't know their being a pain in the arse,sad but true.Others I feel believe they're entitled to be wherever THEY want. Unfortunately, they're the ones you ain't going to shift.And some people couldn't be quiet if you gaffer taped their gobs shut and filled their tinny with styrofoam
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    what about a big "MAROON" flag to put up while your in steath mode, it may get in the way a bit while casting....but..with a big "GET BACK YOUR HUNDRED"..on it....may be seen a bit better than a stika..... and of course any NSW fishoes will know they CANT get over that line...
    deano...
    Good Man Deano.......Always flying the Flag

Just to throw a fly in the ointment - how much distance do you give to trollers either in the main basins or the main channels? The difficulty is that we are all trying to get to a fishing spot and the trollers are often on the main highways of the water. Do you slow down if there is little space or go around them by 100m if there is? I try to but sometimes it is difficult...

What about those casting points and weedbeds on or adjacent to the main highways? Whenever we fish the weedbed in A most people roar past 100m+ away but the odd twit roars past 15 - 20m away......

Monduran also has a number of very narrow channels and cut-throughs which are very popular fishing spots so you may be forced to pass within 20m of others.

More stuff to ponder....

Pete

Hey Pete

It's an interesting question you pose. My rule of thumb is pretty simple. If I can safely pass at least 200 metres away, then I will maintain course and speed. If I am within that imaginary buffer, I will slow right down. I know that in my boat, I will generally cause less wash when I am up on the pad, but that's not the point for me. I would rather do the right thing by all and just slow down to avoid any subjective calls on my etiquette.

If I feel that my boat wash will cause any issues/discomfort with trollers or stationary boats I am passing, then I know I am too close, and it is "idle" for me.

Same thing for the cut throughs and other narrow channels, if there is a troller or caster working the area, it is definitely "no wash" speed, take in the scenery, a quick social wave, and once I am a respectful distance past them, then I am off like a scared cat.

Anyway, that seems to work for me. I am on the water to have a good day, not one filled with testosterone-fuelled agro.

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    No that's good Nath.....for a moment I thought I must have been talking some other language......Now back to Courtesy on the Water

I wish you well in your endeavours however i think your arrogance will block any real progress

Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid View Post
    I wish you well in your endeavours however i think your arrogance will block any real progress

Craig
    Craig.....Do you know a bloke called 2Manylures......doesn't matter if you don't.

I'm thinking the idea of a sticker is not to be used as a tool for boaters on the water like a flag on a pole, but as an eye catching sticker that gets seen at the ramp, the park, at the servo, on the highway stops, in the shed etc etc. The more it gets seen, the more it gets read; atleast the words circulate in some fashion.
    I'll formulate the responses into one group this week, select the positive friendly ones that are sharp and sweet, and then we will fine tune a sticker and ring the printers. Hundreds of stickers are like small message boards, a thousand times better than what is already available. If it influences just a handful each week to think twice, it's a winner. It only takes one boat to spoil a scene, and it may only take one sticker to fix?!
    Any more slogans would be appreciated. The more the better.
    Laminated print outs will also asisst.
    Worth a shot for certain, even if it is bare feet to lead the way.
    Action speaks loud than words.
    Cheers,
    Johnny

Good work JM, my two bobs worth....... The sticker could be reflective(night time) and a size that we could also put one on the boat trailer.

Pete.