Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: courtesy on the dams

Re: courtesy on the dams

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    Does anyone have any more slogans or short points to add for use on a sticker or A4 sheet?
    JM

You can add my earlier quotes if not already:

Ssssshhhhhh..........Angler at work
    If you can read this, you are fishing waaay to close

And maybe one more:

Courtesy IS everything.

I will think of more.....
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

A point...... Stay well clear of any angler that is hooked up to a fish.... If you are trolling the bloody basin run a stern light aswell as Nav lights to avoid being run over!....

SILENCE = CHROME

We all, must remember that Courtesy on the Dams, extends to the boat ramp and caravan park.

Its not something that should just happen out on the dam, courtesy to your fellow fishers and campers should be a given.

Sometimes we all make mistakes, its the follow up that counts.

Only wish it was me up fishing, but still recovering and have been able to put boat in river just for a little while. All good and looking forward to end of year.

If stickers are to be made, put me down for a $50.00 donation toward costs.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

I hope it's nothing serious Trevor - swift recovery to you!

Well said re learning from mistakes, as none of us are immune to mistakes (thankfully, or we'd never learn anything)

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post

Well said re learning from mistakes, as none of us are immune to mistakes (thankfully, or we'd never learn anything)

Cheers
    Tony
    Hell....my day is played out with a long succession of mistakes that eventually work out OK just before bed time.

I like the slogan by Big Ren ...Shhhh ....Angler at work. Simple and short, thats what you need in a sticker.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

Having trouble with boaters not obeying the rules on the water ring the 1800 fisheries hotline tell them your location, boat in question etc if they get enough complaints about a boat or problem area they have to deal with it.
    Always Think Like A Fish - No Matter How Weird It Gets

Cheers
    Tony
    Tony,

Thanks, just recovering from back op and progressing well, just can't wait to get back to fishing.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    What it proves Mate is that the yellas are Land locked and have a poor food source....You could have thrown a hook with a piece of rag attached and caught fish......nothing to do with noise at all.
    Whitto,read old mates comment correctly,he states the fish hit hard and fast then went off the bite after a bit of noise was made,after a period of time the fish came back on the chew after they had had some quiet time.Sounds a lot like he agrees with the concept of this thread and gave a real life account.
    I agree that people moving in and making noise when you are fishing a location is disrespectfull and wrong.
    Some comments on this thread like dont come into a bay if someone is in there are extreme in the opposite dirrection.
    The idea of education at the ramps is great and would be a lot more usefull than a sticker.
    If a permit is required people should be handed a flyer with fishing etiquite practices printed on it along with regulations and bag limits etc..when they get their permit.
    There will always be a section of society that will not adhere to any rules,sensibility or courtesy as they believe the world owes them something,these people should be culled at the earliest convienence.

Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid View Post
    Whitto,read old mates comment correctly,he states the fish hit hard and fast then went off the bite after a bit of noise was made,after a period of time the fish came back on the chew after they had had some quiet time.Sounds a lot like he agrees with the concept of this thread and gave a real life account.
    I agree that people moving in and making noise when you are fishing a location is disrespectfull and wrong.
    Some comments on this thread like dont come into a bay if someone is in there are extreme in the opposite dirrection.
    The idea of education at the ramps is great and would be a lot more usefull than a sticker.
    If a permit is required people should be handed a flyer with fishing etiquite practices printed on it along with regulations and bag limits etc..when they get their permit.
    There will always be a section of society that will not adhere to any rules,sensibility or courtesy as they believe the world owes them something,these people should be culled at the earliest convienence.

Craig
    Craig

As Lyndon mentioned ..... the big shhhhhhh does not apply across the board - bass fisherman will happily fish a school of fish with several boats fishing within easy casting distance ........... motor up & away you go.

Barra ...... no way Jose!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Craig
    You've raised a good point there Craig, and I agree that a brochure on fishing ettiquite handed out with the Stocked Impoundment Permit would be the ultimate way of getting word out.

DPI (or whatever they're called now) may well be interested in helping to make this happen, although I wouldn't be surprised if they've copped a budget hit so who pays for it? Wouldn't hurt to ask though!

In the meantime I agree with Johhnys view that at least this gets the ball rolling and is a lot better than just grumbling about it, you never know it might just change a few peoples behaviour...

In your last paragraph "Culled" might be a strong word though..... Let's substutute "Educate" for that and it helps keep us all calm!

Cheers
    Tony

You've raised a good point there Craig, and I agree that a brochure on fishing ettiquite handed out with the Stocked Impoundment Permit would be the ultimate way of getting word out.

DPI (or whatever they're called now) may well be interested in helping to make this happen, although I wouldn't be surprised if they've copped a budget hit so who pays for it? Wouldn't hurt to ask though!

In the meantime I agree with Johhnys view that at least this gets the ball rolling and is a lot better than just grumbling about it, you never know it might just change a few peoples behaviour...

In your last paragraph "Culled" might be a strong word though..... Let's substutute "Educate" for that and it helps keep us all calm!

Cheers
    Tony
    No doubt tony doing something is better than nothing but by the time you get close enought to read a sticker you would be pretty close unless it is a huge sticker.
    The group I refer to in my last paragraph,unfortunately I dont think any amount of educating would help,culling would work.(I do understand what you say).

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Craig

As Lyndon mentioned ..... the big shhhhhhh does not apply across the board - bass fisherman will happily fish a school of fish with several boats fishing within easy casting distance ........... motor up & away you go.

Barra ...... no way Jose!

Chris
    Gday chris,in most places there would be no problem in working out what people are fishing for by where you are(Impoundment location),unfortunately there a a few locations like monduran where both barra and bass are a real possibility.
    Not sure how to approach this one.

Craig

I had a guy come up to me at Mondy camp kitchen last weekend and ask "Is that your boat over there" yes, why, "just wanted to say thanks for backing off the throttle and giving me a wide berth today"

Cool,

Pete.

Gday chris,in most places there would be no problem in working out what people are fishing for by where you are(Impoundment location),unfortunately there a a few locations like monduran where both barra and bass are a real possibility.
    Not sure how to approach this one.

Craig
    Here is the honest truth ...... I've never met anyone who was targeting bass at mondy in 8 trips - I know they are stocked in numbers & the odd bass tourni is held there ........ but outside of that , do people actually target bass

I guess you just give everyone a wide berth ( football field length minimum ..... under that idle speed)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Here is the honest truth ...... I've never met anyone who was targeting bass at mondy in 8 trips - I know they are stocked in numbers & the odd bass tourni is held there ........ but outside of that , do people actually target bass

I guess you just give everyone a wide berth ( football field length minimum ..... under that idle speed)

Chris
    Mate i wouldnt argue with what you say at all.I have only fished monduran once.
    I dont know anyone who goes to monduran to target bass but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
    The point was made that if bass fishing a wide berth is not required,with barra fishing it is.
    Monduran is one of only a few dams where both bass and barra are found so it cant be taken for granted what people are fishing for.
    I do agee if you dont know then giving a wide berth is nothing more than common courtesy.

Cheers Craig