Thread: courtesy on the dams

Re: courtesy on the dams

"Blowflies will cop a spray"

"Come closer, so I can get a good shot at you"

"Would you like me to move to let you fish my spot"

"I have a rare social disease, would you like to share it"

"YOUR IN MY PERSONAL SPACE, PISS OFF NOW"

Just a couple more for the list.

Believe we have all at some stage made mistakes ourselves, but we should have realised our mistake, and tried not to copy in future.

Life is a big learning curve.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    If you can read this sticker you're within casting distance of the large metal slug tied to my line!

(bit long I know)
    I must agree Tony my boats not that long
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Ssssh! Barra boofing zone ahead

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    Lets produce a list of short slogans; 'cut and paste', add your own idea, etc. Then we'll short list it, and come up with a sticker. It won't be hard. By the end of next week we should be on the way to the printer.
    Add your 'words' if you want to be a part of it.
    JM,
    I'll start.

"Shhh, we are hunting"

All the slogans in the world wont stop the common bloke zooming past, if there is anything we could put a thing in the camp kitchens and kiosks at each dam for all to read but that still wont stop the odd bloke who is hell bent on getting up there at a hundred miles an hour go wizzing past .

If any slogan was to work it would have to be in every fishing thing in the country, tackle shops kiosk's, camp grounds, ramps etc

haha some classics there Steve!! I like Dean068's!!

You make-a-da noise - you f*&ka da spot!!

On a serious note I think Nath has a good point - education prior to getting on the water may have more impact.

Anyway - back to the test match and a Bundy red

Kev

Well, ya gotta start somewhere. If ya don't start the ball rolling, it just lies there. I'm starting, its up to everyone to do their bit in the big circle of things. One step at a time.
    Full steam ahead!! I'll get stickers started, and hands up anyone who wants to secure an area and see that it gets a clear message attached.
    JM

i got one

COME OVER HERE I WANT TO SEE A LEAD SINkER DINTS YA HULL
    I Reckon dpi FIsheries sticker may do just as good a job as well
    or Put
    IN smallish writing Barra Then in big writning PATROL

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post

If any slogan was to work it would have to be in every fishing thing in the country, tackle shops kiosk's, camp grounds, ramps etc
    Exactly! But as Johhny says you have to start, and then the re-education of the ignorant and education of new fishos will see staying away from others space and a quiet approach become more the norm. Sabre rattling and chest beating never achieve anything.
    I think a good start as suggested would be a clear sign at the ramp and stickers.
    Im in, how do we help JM.
    Flatzie

Sounds like this idea is gaining some momentum...

I believe a combination of signs and stickers is the best start.

Signs at the boat ramp with bullet points (so there isn't too much to read) about acceptable behaviour such as:

*Maintain a distance of 50m (?) from other boats while fishing
    *Please slow down (6 knots?) when passing other boats fishing
    *Many fisherman rely on stealth to catch barramundi - so please keep noise to a minimum
    *It's a big dam - if someone is fishing in a spot you like, go somewhere else!
    *etc

Stickers could be handed out wherever there are points of sale near by. There could be stickers with a range of slogans such as those suggested and a 'formal' sticker that reiterates the ettiquette points of the signs.

At a place like Monduran the signs would be at the concrete boatramp and at the top of the hill at the intersection for the dirt ramp. Perhaps outside the kiosk as well.

Stickers could be available from Foxies in Gin Gin and at the Monduran kiosk as well as any other servo or accommodation. Perhaps a sticker is placed in each cabin and holiday house as well....

A similar process could then be repeated at every impoundment from Tinaroo to Awoonga with the same signs & stickers.

Just my thoughts.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Sounds like this idea is gaining some momentum...

I believe a combination of signs and stickers is the best start.

Signs at the boat ramp with bullet points (so there isn't too much to read) about acceptable behaviour such as:

*Maintain a distance of 50m (?) from other boats while fishing
    *Please slow down (6 knots?) when passing other boats fishing
    *Many fisherman rely on stealth to catch barramundi - so please keep noise to a minimum
    *It's a big dam - if someone is fishing in a spot you like, go somewhere else!
    *etc

Stickers could be handed out wherever there are points of sale near by. There could be stickers with a range of slogans such as those suggested and a 'formal' sticker that reiterates the ettiquette points of the signs.

At a place like Monduran the signs would be at the concrete boatramp and at the top of the hill at the intersection for the dirt ramp. Perhaps outside the kiosk as well.

Stickers could be available from Foxies in Gin Gin and at the Monduran kiosk as well as any other servo or accommodation. Perhaps a sticker is placed in each cabin and holiday house as well....

A similar process could then be repeated at every impoundment from Tinaroo to Awoonga with the same signs & stickers.

Just my thoughts.

Pete
    i like it polite but to the point and a few options for all well done i would want the one that say " Its a big dam if someone in ya spot go else where "

Oh yeah, and all tackle stores in the major cities and regional centres should have the stickers as a giveaway as well......

Hi guys i remember talking to Johnny about the signs idea and A4 posters everywhere to get the message across a couple of years ago. I think i've even written it up on Ausfish before.

That's why we put it in the book e.g. at times stay kilometres (1000m plus) away from people fishing.

People: Adults like kids need some rules. If you want a kid to run 10 meters you will have to put cones out to the 20m mark. If the cones are only 10m away they will start slowing down at the 5m mark. The same applies to the 50m rule. Most wouldn't have a clue what 50m is, so it will soon become 15m. Basically you have to double the distance you really wanted or they would take the soft serve option like most of society these days.

Bass & Electrics: Then throw in to the mix some of the southern bass guys, one of which said to us " We can put 40 boats next to each other and catch bass".

Answer: Bass ain't Barra, please stay from other boats. This guy was in the abt comp doing circles around us when we were anchored, he was so close we could cast over him e.g. less than the 30m rule. My mate on board wanted to thump this guy as he kept motoring over our fishing grounds thinking he was Mr Stealthy as he was on the electric.

Boat Presence: So in this sign the notice needs to read " Boat Presence, even if it's under electric power, stay away from those that don't want to chat, and if they wave you over then travel over using the electric".

One Liners: You will need to say something like, " Stay a football field length away (100m+)from other boats that are fishing, and if possible dont' even enter the bay or fishing area and stay 500m to 1000m away."

That's why when writing the book i suggested not to be too conservative. E.g. say this etc " Stay 100m - 500m and 1000m away from other boats if possible, especially on a big impoundment with a 5000m wide main basin".

The problem is that it's not just yobbos, or the ignorant that need training in this area, it's also some barra guides. (Fact).

So if the public see high profile people doing this, what are they expected to do?

Fast boats have added another problem to the water these days. With fastnesssss you don't always get Barry the cougar Stealthinessss. Our last trip to Mondy with the Ausfish boys was a classic example of this with us all sharing many yarns at the end of each day e.g bad experiences on the water.

Saying nothing to kids (Adults) that are naughty will result in them turning out to be less than desirable adults in the future with one of the current generations known in HR circles as the un-hire-ables. Saying nothing won't get the message across on the water, it will just let the idiots doing all the wrong things think they are doing the right thing.

Learning Styles: Body language is good, but remember that many don't register body language these days. If it was registered they wouldn't have entered your personal space in the first place. You only have to walk past a pub on a friday night to see this as the skinniest guy in the pub is usually argueing with the 6ft5, 120kg Maori bouncer displaying angry body language that isn't registered by skinny, until too late. Then Whammo!!!!

Solution: To have a hand sign displayed on the boat ramp/camp sign and A4 sheet that lets them know they are not wanted in the area. No not the holding one finger up and waving sign, although it would probably work. Maybe a couple of quick waves pointing them away etc. Quick waving e.g. like saying get lost etc but politely. Or a one liner saying " If you see someone waving you away, please leave them alone".

2 Waves: One waving people away, one calling people over for a chat.

1. Wave Away: Maybe a shew Blowfly wave, that would be a good line.
    2. Wave Over: A waving hand action calling them over for a chat etc.

Remember many of those that have no manners don't read, so actions will speak louder than words for these guys. Everyone learns in different ways.

History: It took fish handling about 15-20 years to get the correct holding of fish message out and the releasing fish message really got going with Rex back in the early 90's etc so things take a while, but we have to start as it won't get any better if we don't and the fishing isn't getting any easier.

Cheers Lyndon.

simple solution..ban all outboards on all the dams..end of problem

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    simple solution..ban all outboards on all the dams..end of problem
    Fair Dinkum Mate.......Is that your name
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless