Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your best Tailor recipes

Whats your best Tailor recipes

Hi all,
    With the Tailor season soon upon us i was looking for some new recipes to try. I have mostly filleted, crumbed and deepfried them in the past ( thats where my screen name came from ), smoked a few or just do them with butter and lemon juice with a bit of lemon myrtle oil. How do you all cook them, any favourites that you want to share. By the way the olive oil with lemon myrtle oil added is sensational with fish, well worth a try.

Cheers
    Scott

Re: Whats your best Tailor recipes

Crush up Corn Flakes
    Flour, egg wash then the Corn Flakes
    Shallow Fry, cant be beaten

Whole slab, 8o hook and catch a snapper . No just kidding, 2 part flour 1 part curry powder,dust fillet place in hot pan and oil, yum.
    Cheers

Cheers guys will give them a go. Hey chong if i had a boat i would give them a go as snapper bait but i will have to wait for that.

this one is pretty good
    marinate tailor fillets (skinned) for 15-30 min in
    4 tablespoons worstershire sauce, 2 tablespoons bbq sauce,
    cook some chopped bacon on the bbq
    cook marinated fish top with chopped bacon and a bit of chopped parsley
    cheers
    dazza

This is what Im hoping to cook up tomorrow night:
    Scale well (Or keep scales on) and fillet tailor, Keep skin on
    Place fillets skin side down on a plate.
    Mix wasabie sauce, Salt and pepper to taste, Lime juice(out of the bottle) together and a dash of X Virgin olive oil.
    Brush or finger the mix over the flesh, Cling wrap and put in fridge for twenty min.

To Cook:
    Place fillets skin side down on a hot pan with X virgin olive oil just starting to smoke.
    You need to cook the skin side till dark golden crispy and fast.
    Turn fish over and immediately turn heat down to Medium.
    Cook till light golden and serve on a plate skin up and a further dash of wasabie and Lime over the crispy skin.
    An Asian salad goes well with this but I just cut up an entire cucumber and have that as my salad.
    Cucumber goes well with the flavour of this dish.
    This flavour also goes well with Kingfish

will post a brekky dish tomorro when im not so tired

dazza and flybloke,
    Thanks for those. Will give them a go for sure. Both are ideas i haven't done before with any fish.

dazza that one sounds a bit like a kilpatrick Tailor. Great with oysters, will be interesting on a Tailor fillet. Its one that i should of tried a while ago as i make kilpat oysters a bit. Thanks for the idea.

Greg at 2 in the morning i would be way too tired to post a recipe as well.

flybloke, how does the bloodline go when the skin is left on. I would normaly skin and clean the bloodline out. Have you cut the main bloodline out with the skin on and used the two narrow fillets left ( still with skin on ).

Good question,

I actually like the bloodline in tailor Morwong is another. Trevs, No So you could certainly split the fillets or even do it skinned. The skin just helps keep the soft flesh together.And the crispy skin adds dimension and flavour

Cheers mate i might try it both ways. I do like the sound of the crispy skin, been a while since i have tried any fish done with the skin on.

Ok - this one is an old favourite from the days of camping out over night on the beaches around the Woollongong/Nowra/Narooma areas. It works with one of those wire fish cooker thingies over an open fire (hot coals), or under the grill at home. This was our standard brekky on the beach over a fire (in the days you were allowed to have an open fire on the beach).

Whole tailor gilled gutted and scaled (head on or off - your choice)
    Make a few deep cuts through the skin on each side (top to bottom).

Make up a basting mix of extra virgin olive oil, squeeze of lemon juice (about equal to a whole lemon), two teaspoons of crushed garlic, one teaspoon of crushed ginger, and a splash of soy sauce.

put the fish in one of those wire thingies and baste the fish with this mixture, turning and basting frequently. depending on the size of the fish ...should take about ten minutes for a chopper of about 1kg.

Or alternatively fillet and skin the fish and put it under the grill on a non stick tray, and baste the top of the fillet frequently (if i am doing it this way i like to put a sprinkle of grated tasty cheese and some onion rings on it just before it is done - but that is optional).

Great with buttered toast or crusty bread for brekky.

I have a mate who does the fillets this way and then soft poaches an egg and puts it on it with a light hollandaise sauce, then serves it on a piece of toasted sourdough bread ( a bit overpowering for my taste - but i know a lot of people that love it).

Cheers
    Greg

Cheers Greg. Will be camping in four weeks and will give that one a try then. I like the sound of the hollandaise sauce and poached egg. mmmm eggs beny my favourite breaky.

first off, Tailor need to be fresh, not 4 days old or frozen, a simple fillet, leave skin on, a dust in flour, and into some hot oil for a jiffy, turn over and served with some simple salad and a few chips, how good is that??

G'day Noelm,

Bloody oath keep it short and simple, buts its nice to experiment with other ingredients also.

Peter

I agree with NoelM about tailor being fresh. I only keep enough to do a couple of meals. I do NOT freeze it. Its best eaten the day after it is caught (needs a bit of time for the meat to 'set'). The ones used in my method are all caught the night before.....hence the 'brekky' tag. I am mystified by people who catch heaps of tailor to stock their freezer.....i find tailor one of the best eating fish when fresh...but sit at the bottom of the table when frozen. Would rather bream or flathead in the freezer....at least the flesh stays firm and is still tasty.

Greg