Thread: Mud Island Live Bait

Question Mud Island Live Bait

Can anyone tell me if there is a reliable live bait ground around Mud Island. (yellow tail or slimy mac)

Re: Mud Island Live Bait

I usually try the beacons out from the entrance of the Brisbane river on the way out with a bait jig.
    Often get yakkas sometimes slimeys, sometimes nothing.

Plan B for me is to burley up while out there and see what is around, throw some bread on the water and then castnet over it, assuming you have a boat you can do that from,
    Don't let it sink to the bottom or that might be the last you see of it.

If you go into the shallows of Mud you can pick up plenty of pike on small soft plastics.
    They were so thick and aggressive there one day, we were catching them on a jighead with no tail on it.
    Marty.

There are big schools of hardiheads in close through the winter. You can get some in a cast net although most will escape through the mesh. Berley up with soaked pellets or bread crumbs then cast over them and retrieve the net before it reaches the bottom. I was out there on Monday and there were thousands of them plus a few gar.
    Cheers Freeeedom

what side of the island were the hardys on

I was on the northern side just around the north-east corner
    Cheers Freeeedom

Most of the northern bays have hardi, but the two closest to the river are the better.