Thread: Ima Leader knot

Ima Leader knot

I found this on one of the japanese online stores. They call it the ima leader knot & its used as a braid-leader connection. Anyone use this knot before??

By niz180 at 2009-04-27

Re: Ima Leader knot

never seen that one, but it looks a bit like a slim beauty except there is "self-locking" between the wraps and the figure8, so it's possible that it could slip...

I tested the knot as best as i could & even without the locking knots at the end it didn't slip at all. I have tried tying the slim beauty & it slipped everytime

P.E Zillions come with a diagram for this knot in the instruction sheet.
    Have not tried it though.

Would hate to try and tie it in a hurry or in the dark! Think I will stick with the Ted Donelan's leader knot with 8 wraps - takes about thirty seconds once you have a double.

I tested the knot as best as i could & even without the locking knots at the end it didn't slip at all. I have tried tying the slim beauty & it slipped everytime
    I am no evangelist of the slim beauty but I've never had one slip with the braid/leader combination that I use, tested up to breaking point (30 lbs). If I had more time I would play with the GT knot or try to make some wind-ons, but until then I'm happy with this simple one.

Obviously it's not working for you, so I guess it just shows that you should test your knots for your particular application.

I use the knot when jigging for samson fish & aj's.
    Very strong knot - but is a pain tying it in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    I am no evangelist of the slim beauty but I've never had one slip with the braid/leader combination that I use, tested up to breaking point (30 lbs). If I had more time I would play with the GT knot or try to make some wind-ons, but until then I'm happy with this simple one.

Obviously it's not working for you, so I guess it just shows that you should test your knots for your particular application.
    i think its more the way i tie it. I have seen a few variations so i guess i just haven't been shown properly.

Looks far too complicated for my light line estuary fishing. I even reckon the double uni is a pain in the arse to tie so this would be way out of the question.

Its the improved albright all the way. Easy to tie blindfolded.
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post
    Looks far too complicated for my light line estuary fishing. I even reckon the double uni is a pain in the arse to tie so this would be way out of the question.

Yeh I use the improved albright exclusively for light line applications. Its just when you start using heavier braid/leaders the albright becomes too bulky to pass thru guides without catching. The above not has a really small profile & the leader tag faces backwards so it looks as tho it will pass thru guides nicely. I'm going to put it to the test this weekend so will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post

Yeah mate, I am the same as you. When on the water I always use the improved albright. Just so easy to tie and "ok" strengh. I am starting to tie doubles when targeting larger fish in the bay, due to a few lost good fish to knots. However if I do get busted off I can't be stuffed with with fiddley knots on the water.

Ben

Just one thing boys, i do use the improved albright on heavier line classes too, say 20lb braid and 30lb leader max, but instead of my usual 10 turns i use 5 or 6 turns. The heavier the line the less turns needed to bite in on itself.

It still comes out very slim and never gets caught up on my guides. I've never had knot slippage either??? Works for me but everyone is different.
    Savvy Fishing Blog

The Albright (and improved versions of) can have the habit of unravelling unexpectedly - depending on the braid and leader used in the knot. You should always try and lock the tag end of the braid as this tends to work loose with lots of casting.

Ted Donelan's leader knot snugs up like and improved Albright, but has no tag end in the braid. This has got to be better. It's a great casting knot and simple to tie.

This then leads to a discussion about what knot to use for the double in the braid (12, 20 or 70 turn Bimini or a simple 4 turn overhand knot?), but that is another story

What if you don't use a double in the braid. I tend to never use a double???

I prefer single strand to single stand connections... horses for courses
    Savvy Fishing Blog