Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you people getting on with Fisher?

Re: How are you people getting on with Fisher?

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    So who designed the Fisher MkII??

I always thought Col himself, personally, owned the design rights, or intellectual rights, to Fisher boats not the company.

I suppose this will be another pertinent question not answered
    The answer of the above question might shed a bit of light on how the Fisher MkII can be better and cheaper then the Fisher MkI and also give some credibility to the new mob especially if a well known and respected marine architect's name pops up.
    Well??
    More selective reading and answering
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Just reread the old Fisher thread and was wondering how Buddy Mania was getting on receiving his unfinished fisher, i hope all is well mate and you get or got your boat asap!!! I personally have some fears for you but i hope i'm wrong!

Ian

Ps. Someones done a good job getting all the ausfish threads way down ( and i mean way down) the list at Google!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Col & Nancy
    It seems that the new owners of your buisness must be part chinese!.
    Copy something that already works. cut a few costs here and there, change a few autocad drawings that fisher boats were already doing 7 years ago, call it the MK2 make a better profit margin and pat ourselves on the back on how buisness is and what a great job we've done.
    On the outside still looks like a boat. but at the end of the day a boat builder hasn't built the hull or had any input into.

What background does fisher MK2 have in boat building i wonder?
    How would the interview go?

Dug a couple of holes!
    Used to work for a boat builder once!
    I once went fishing with a boat builder!

But But.. i know how to use autocad........

I reckon every time Fisher-Too posts on here he sells one less boat.

I would like to make one last honest admission before I let this lie (of course unless i read anything seriously stupid again).

When I first read about Fisher boats going under, I was a pretty average Aussie bloke sitting in Baghdad on my seriously bad internet and couldn't believe what I was reading. My last and pretty much only dealing with Fisher boats (colS) was months behind me and a million things were running through my head as to how this could have all come about. Fisher boats were FLYING when I dealt with them and even through this economic mess I took a backward step and looked unbiasedly at Fisher boats and decided they were a good bet. There were a couple of minor problems, I think due to miscomunications due to Col attending a Suzi conference while the work being carried out (and me being in Baghdad) but everything was sorted out by Col 110% on his return a few days later.

I consider myself and intelligent bloke just like White Pointer, but it was THREE days before the penny dropped that my old outboard was still on consignment there.

Don't ask me why my own financial situation was put in the back ground as I contemplated how this could have all gone about because I'm still slapping myself for it. Luckily through PM's i got the right contact info and got my outboard back via my other half who dealt with Mick (who I will admit at the time did the right thing under the circumstances by me). The second hand info I was getting from my other half at the time from Mick left a real weird weight in my stomach. The good will i had recieved from Mick on returning my outboard at the same time he was making statements about honouring customers orders/debts/whatever or words to that effect had me feeling very uneasy why?

I had dealt with ColS, I had outlayed serious cash to him (for me anyway) and walked away another seriously happy Fisher customer, then I hear all this talk on the other side of things and I bought it all up!!!!!! I had never been conned in my life and was thanking my lucky stars that ColS didn't conn me and I had got away with a bit of luck. No Aussie likes to be conned and at the time I felt like a fool that was just lucky he had a dealing with a shark and didn't get biten. Such was the compelling story I got from my other half that was dealing with Mick at the time.

You know what made me sit back and take stock of it? It was Kingtins post a long way back about gut feeling. I didnt actually meet ColS until i picked up my boat from its 50hr service and had a quick chat about a couple of mods to my Webster. I drove out of the old fisher premesis with the gut feeling that I had just dealt with a genuine bloke and he was definitely going to get my repeat business. I didnt think about that until Kingtins post and started looking at things more black and white.

Sure I could have it all wrong, ColS and nancy(who I am yet to meet) could be a Bonnie and Clyde con artist couple that spent 7 years setting up this big sting on people and Mick Sanderson could have saved many from dispair in the nick of time and a couple of people are cannon fodder in the process (no offence lads).

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A LIKELY STORY TO YOU ALL???????

Until I am PROVEN otherwise (which i think is highly UNLIKELY considering the new managments track record) I'm going to stick with my gut and put my faith behind Col. Mate if you start up again please PM me your new details as I want to be one of your first customers. I really hope I am right in all of this because im not sure where one gets their gut re-calibrated this late in life.

Nancy, could you please ask Col to email me to give me a recommendation on who I should go to to get the Suzies 100 hr service? By the way it is going great guns and the Hydro steering and fitout is still in fantastic shape!

cheers

chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hi Chris

Makes you wonder why your old outboard ever left the old premises. It was nothing ever to do with Fisher II so why did he ever have posession of it?

Having assets in your posession that you don't own and have no right to be in posession is called something Th.........and ends in t in my eyes or was it just being held safe for you.

I think anyone who walked away from this mess with what they started with or work completed last year was very lucky mate. You dodged a bullet no matter who was holding the gun.

Doesn't matter where you drop it for service these days but with the way things read maybe we should all be getting a reciept when we drop it in in case the place goes belly up and at least we then have a receipt showing that our boats and motors were just there for service and not an asset of the company servicing it. Perhaps the servicing company should leave us with a deposit the same value as the boat in case they go boke !!!!!!

Prepay for anything ever again in my life before I have posession - not likely after seeing how folks got burnt

Hard to know who to trust with here one day and in administration the next businesses

Cormorant- I am going to get a boat started within the next month or so.

In regards to the comment on never pre paying for anything again is very hard to take for someone in my situation.

Can you tell me one boat builder in Australia that will NOT require large progress payments on my new boat????????????????

I don't like the idea of outlaying big wads of cash anymore then you do , but is there anyother way? I am not having a go at you but I am genuinely concerned as this will be the first boat that I will have had built.

Someone mentioned trust funds ect, what is the likely hood of the builder agreeing to this?

Nick

Nick

I think a soliciter is the answer as no website forum can give you any advice on your situation and an accountant for a quick opinion on the company you are dealing with.

Agree to trust funds etc- why wouldn't they- if they build a boat as contracted the trust fund is forced to pay and as the money is already in there they are guaranteed of payment. So a little bit get wasted in fees but seriously from the boatbuilders side they get guaranteed payment.

If you aren't comfortable with the deal or the company I wouldn't do it

From what is said here I would have every part of my hull stamped with my hin before making any progress payment and a receipt showing that you own the partially completed work outright and unencumbered at least then you can take it elsewhere to finish and administrators and recievers have no access to your boat. I would purchase all accessories such as motors by a payment direct to wholesale marine company ( even if organised by builder to get discount) and take posession of them with serial numbers etc even if it only meand courier truck comes past your huse then goes to boatbuilder.

Some basics would be in the contract you sign but I seriously don't know all the legalities I just know that in these times there is plenty of mongrels out there and plenty doing it tough who may be good blokes or builders but get closed for a variety of reasons.

If it was you on the other post like I said there is a bit of good vaue in 2nd hand rigs at the minute and a cash buyer could get a great deal and then do any mods required.

Best of luck and please let us know what advice you get and what we can all do to stop getting screwed either by the system and more specifically by fraud or unfortunate circumstances.

No deal is ever too good you can't walk away from and some are just worth staying away from.

Cormorant thanks for your wise words. I definitely wasnt the one that dodged a bullet though I would hate to think of where I would be right now if I had just spent 21 hours in the air from Baghdad to find out that some snotty nosed suit(ballbag liquidator) was in legal possession of my property...... legal or not it would not have been there long.

Nickstock you have to ask yourself in light of the recent events in the boating industry, if a builder doesnt have the capital behind them right now to be able to leave your deposit and progess payments in a trust account until your 100% happy with the product they are ready to deliver, are they the sort of company you want to have building your boat? At the end of the day if the answer is yes they do have the capital to do it but wont agree for any other reason they are mad because the discracefull laws will allow a company to become insolvent and they get off scott free. You have the cash that they want and if they want your business then thats what they have to agree too.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I'll tell you a story nickstock...a few years ago I was looking for a new boat..I spent months looking and test driving etc. I decided on the boat..the importer here had a build spot reserved...I got the boat built with the options i wanted on it. I did not sign a contract..all on a handshake..gut feeling was good. I received a fax from the factory so I could sign off on the items I wanted. I sent it back..boat arrived 12 weeks later as promised...and that boat was built in the USA...all I gave them was $5000 deposit and the remainder payable on collection of the boat.

It all went without a problem.

I posted in a thread earlier in the piece that i wouldnt buy a boat on the progressive payment type deal & still hold that veiw, if that meens no new boat so be it.
    The people i feel sorry for, other than those who have been dudded in this saga, are the other boat builders who will loose customers who are now suspect of this type of deal, that would have previously signed on the line. Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by nickstock View Post
    In regards to the comment on never pre paying for anything again is very hard to take for someone in my situation.

Can you tell me one boat builder in Australia that will NOT require large progress payments on my new boat????????????????

Nick
    Cruisecraft!
    Payed 10% deposit & the balance on pickup...
    They even gave me a receipt for the electronics I gave them to fit.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

I suppose we should look at the other side of the coin for boatbuilders. They can get stiffed by a dodgey customer, they outlay a lot for materials & staff labour only to have the customer decide they don't want the boat or just disappear leaving them with a problem. Has to be a bit of give & take, it's ok to mention small deposits & large companies that make boats, what about the new fella, we all have to start somewhere & there are a few good small builders out there that need to be given a chance. Do your research...this whole incident has left a sour taste in lots of mouths, don't let it stop you from getting what you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Hi Chris

Doesn't matter where you drop it for service these days but with the way things read maybe we should all be getting a reciept when we drop it in in case the place goes belly up and at least we then have a receipt showing that our boats and motors were just there for service and not an asset of the company servicing it. Perhaps the servicing company should leave us with a deposit the same value as the boat in case they go boke !!!!!!

Prepay for anything ever again in my life before I have posession - not likely after seeing how folks got burnt

Hard to know who to trust with here one day and in administration the next businesses

Aint it the truth...!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Cruisecraft!
    Payed 10% deposit & the balance on pickup...
    They even gave me a receipt for the electronics I gave them to fit.
    well they have been a class act for about 30 years so this doesnt surprise me frankly..... but sadly cormorant is right and anyone can go broke now.