Thread: Old Woman's Island

Old Woman's Island

Hi am heading out of Mooloolaba this week for the first time and was thinking of going to Old Woman’s Island.

It has been suggested to cast into the white wash to try for kings but am curious as to what other species are caught there.

Dave

Re: Old Woman's Island

I caught a wobbegong

caught snapper,happy moments ,mackeral , happy moments over the years just watch for the unexpected wave !
    Cheers Tezza

I was going to say Snapper, cod and sweetlip based on what I have been told, but I've never fished it I have to say. So I found reference to it here which backs up what I have been told by another fisherman http://coastbeaches.com/web/information/fishing.php
    "Old Woman Island for catches of snapper, pearl perch, cod, sweetlip and other reef fish"

Another reference to pelagics and good numbers of reef fish
    http://www.sunshinecoastfishingcharters.com/about.html

Have to try it myself soon.

Scalem

Thanks for the replies guys.

Scalem thanks also for the references.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,
    I used to fish there many years ago, it used to fish quite well, have no idea what it is like now, however here's a list of species i have got there.
    Snapper to 20 pounds, throwing pillies into the washes.
    Tailor to 8 pounds doing the same.
    Spanish Mackerel to 40 pound ditto.
    Huge Long Tom's to about 5 feet long as thick as a man's thigh.
    Big bronze coloured bream flicking cut baits into the washes.
    Aso the odd long tail and shark mackerel just out a bit on the Northern side.

A couple of mates and myself also used to swim into the island from a boat and fish overnight for some spectular results.

Once again mate i would not have a clue what it's like now, been twenty years, good luck and as some one else said be careful and watch the waves.

Cheers,
    John.

I also used to catch huge longtom along the front of the island - many over 5 kg in weight. They are great fighters but watch out for the teeth. They are very good eating too but often have a few worms in the flesh like jew. I was throwing pilchards into the washes along the front of the island looking for tailor but couldn't get past the longtoms most times. Also big dart in the washes if you want to have some light tackle fun
    Cheers Freeeedom

Hey Dave,
    Still catch Large Long Tom there - almost without fail. They can be a pain in the backside sometimes when you are chasing bertter quality fish.

Great fun on light line though.

There is a big drop off on the north western side of the island - 4m - 14m - Just off from where the waves meet. Good spot for reefies @ dawn/dusk and night. Mainly pickers during the day.

Live bait works pretty well for the bigger stuff...........

Mark

Thanks guys.

Mark have you caught many snapper there in the recent years?

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Dave,
    Yes, mainly in the 2-4kg range. They can be pretty hit and miss though. I usually get a few on the way back in from somewhere else. It just seems to work out that if we don't catch much elsewhere, we will catch enough at old woman to make it worthwhile. Conversely if we do well out further, we rarely catch more at old Woman.

Strange I know, but it may have something to do with the "Woman" part of it.

No rhyme nor reason - you just can't pick um! Hey - that almost rhymes!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    Hey Dave,
    Yes, mainly in the 2-4kg range. They can be pretty hit and miss though. I usually get a few on the way back in from somewhere else. It just seems to work out that if we don't catch much elsewhere, we will catch enough at old woman to make it worthwhile. Conversely if we do well out further, we rarely catch more at old Woman.

Strange I know, but it may have something to do with the "Woman" part of it.

No rhyme nor reason - you just can't pick um! Hey - that almost rhymes!

Mark
    PML