Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Netting At Monduran

Re: Illegal Netting At Monduran

Paul,
    No sweat, drop a PM or an e-mail and lets have a chat.
    Cheers,
    JM

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post
    Heard that 4.5 tonnes of barra were netted in Kinchant a couple of years ago, just before the Nov closure...
    Some people will do anything for a quid. BA#@$%DS!!
    It should be compulsory that, when caught, ALL gear including vehicle and boat, be confiscated; not just a slap on the wrist as usually happens...

In Victoria, if you are caught EVERYTHING gets taken off you, and you walk home.
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by BarraBandit View Post
    In Victoria, if you are caught EVERYTHING gets taken off you, and you walk home.
    I believe is is the same in NSW and NT too.

I always thought QLD was a bit backward

I am totally against this but is it true black fellas can net anywhere??

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post

Roo, lol.

I think QLD should take the same actions... that will show those good for nothing netters!

We get the odd few netters who net trout down here... I couldent count the people I have seen breaking the rules... And I go get regos ect, alittle payback. Always have a knife on me for the ones down in the river...

Another big problem we are having down here is long liners... I seem to have a way of making them *dissapear*, with all fish going back where they belong.

I may be 14 but I have seen a hell of alot so far, and I am in touch with what happens with/around the waterways I fish... Dad is also a Policeman down here in Victoria so the good old flash of the badge to fisherman doing the wrong thing normaly does the trick.

Bandit.
    Cheers, Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by jesse148 View Post

As far as I know, no they cant.
    Cheers, Bandit

I think you will find that the aboriginal sector does have strong support with the law when it comes to netting. You'd be suprised what they can do. Fitzroy River- nuff said!
    JM

Had a long talk to one of the big boys in Fisheries in Brisbane over this one and since the Fitzroy River Saga Laws have been changed Indigenous people are no longer allowed to use nets in areas closed to netting unless they have a permit from the gov.This permit will only be granted if there is going to be a large rathering for a major cultural event.
    There is only being one of these issued since the new laws come in and it is only for about a week so they can gather enough tucker for the event.
    So any netting by Indigenous in any lake will more than likely be illegal.

If you see it, report it and let the fisheries sort it out you don't have to tell them the colour of there skin.
    Always Think Like A Fish - No Matter How Weird It Gets

Hey Foxie, thanks for proving the numbers. Do u know if they are 24 hrs contacts?

Be bloody frustrating if u came apon some illegal activity and could not get through to them.

Pete.

Was up on Monday last Mon/Tue Wed.....met up with a bloke in his 50+ and I mentioned to keep an eye out for set nets.....told him the story you conveyed and he got a smile on his face which I thought was odd.....I asked him if he was from the Fisheries and he said yes....although with further questioning he told me he worked as a Butcher and was like a voluntary part time associate of Fisheries...I should have asked him for some ID that would reflect that......If he is scouting around for the Fisheries that's GOOD....But I can't help feeling he's a bit of a story teller.....He lives on the southside of Brissie...I hope he is associated with Fisheries at least they are trying to do something....Cheers Whitto PS: You will be all pleased to know people are still fishing in the Basin at night trolling and not a Nav light within a Bull roar of any of them.....D**k***DS
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Thanks Foxie for the update on the law, re; Indigenous Netting- Law Changes.
    I'm glad that happened. It was getting out of hand in the Fitzroy. Mono nets certainly are not traditional means. Thanks for clarifying that one; I knew it was in court, but hadn't heard any outcome. (Do you mean they can still net in areas that are not closed to netting?)
    That's a win for everyday anglers, or is it? So there you go, any nets seen in impoundments are almost certainly illegal unless attached to a DPI, or Government based operation.
    Thanks,
    Johnny Mitchell

Exclamation Re: Illegal Netting At Monduran

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post

Brave man there Roo
    Don't judge us all by the background in the misses avatar!

As a matter of interest I think you will find the same applies here in Gods country.

Daryl

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    although with further questioning he told me he worked as a Butcher and was like a voluntary part time associate of Fisheries
    Sounds unlikely. The fisheries people are employees of the Department (public servants). You are one or you're not. They may well have some part time employees, but that would be because they have family commitments etc, not because they have other jobs. An associate fisheries officer is certainly a newy to me. He was probably the one responsible for the nets

Fisheries do have volunteers who are associated with them, but they are in no way a fisheries officer. They have no enforcement powers but are sanctioned by fisheries and are out there to try and keep and eye out and educate the public. I read about it on the fisheries website a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Man View Post
    Fisheries do have volunteers who are associated with them, but they are in no way a fisheries officer. They have no enforcement powers but are sanctioned by fisheries and are out there to try and keep and eye out and educate the public. I read about it on the fisheries website a few months back.
    Thats the impression I got about this bloke.....He claimed he had no powers whats so ever....If this is the case it has to be a good thing....Observe and report
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless