View Poll Results: Should we be looking at a different date?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • should we look at a different date?

1 8.33%
  • 10th 11th 12th

1 8.33%
  • 24th 25th 26th

11 91.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: SOMERSET SESSION Midyear Muster 25th July

Re: SOMERSET SESSION July Midyear Muster

Hi

Seems it's all coming together ( apart from dates )..

Did someone want to circle on this map the location of the desired camp site?

Steve
    Last edited by stevelcqld; 02-05-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: more text

From experience with this mob I would say area "B" looks good

edit (changed my mind!)

Red face Re: SOMERSET SESSION July Midyear Muster

Steve, Kilcoy is ten minutes away and has everything.

We camp at 'B' The amenities are where 'fish cleaning' is written on the map.

As for a good tent if the budget will allow, you can't go past the Oz Rv range. I have the RV4 and have had it in some fairly nasty weather. As many on here will attest I seem to attract nasty weather. I started three weeks leave on Friday. Officially finished the shift at 1500hrs and that is the exact time it started to rain.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Wink Re: SOMERSET SESSION July Midyear Muster

here:-

For those who may not have been winter Bassin Before.

"it wasn't that long ago that many a fishing writer was claiming lake bass (Australian) were a "summer only" prospect and that they would never be found much deeper than 30 feet. Recent years have seen feet pried from some mouths and previous theories blown out of the water, pardon the pun.
    Probably the first bass waters to prove the pundits wrong were the twin lakes of Wivenhoe and Somerset in southeast Queensland.
    "

In fact, winter is the best time to be out on the bigger lakes if big bass is what you are after.

"Jigging for big bass is certainly one of my favorite styles of fishing being right up there with surface luring for bass and barramundi. With a little effort to work out some of your own tricks on catching big winter bass, I'm sure it can be one of yours as well." Fitzy
    @
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/HeavyMetalBass.htm

"Top water fishing has got to be about one of the most exciting methods (or patterns) of bass fishing there is for just about any bass angler who loves the sport of bass fishing."
    @
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/TopWaterFishing.htm

Regards

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

cant wait to get out there only fished it once and caught good bass and yella bellys along the drop offs but mainly i want to get some red claw and some more of kimmys rocky road

Nip, the beuty of winter is the Bass school up, in big schools. Not nesecellry on the edge or points. If you can get onto a school it is great.

As long as you skirt the edges you can can have a few punters around the school all fishing and provided no idiot is revving boats or bashing tinnies it is great as you can fish in the same patch and share the thrill of the catches. The trick is to be quite, drift in if possible. The other theory is once found give the sounder a rest. A fleet of boats pinging the school doesn't help. Diplomacey and protocol dictate that if a fisher is onto a school you don't charge in but wait for the wave of approval. If they don't want you there then they tend to wave with one finger only.

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Nip, the beuty of winter is the Bass school up, in big schools. Not nesecellry on the edge or points. If you can get onto a school it is great.

As long as you skirt the edges you can can have a few punters around the school all fishing and provided no idiot is revving boats or bashing tinnies it is great as you can fish in the same patch and share the thrill of the catches. The trick is to be quite, drift in if possible. The other theory is once found give the sounder a rest. A fleet of boats pinging the school doesn't help. Diplomacey and protocol dictate that if a fisher is onto a school you don't charge in but wait for the wave of approval. If they don't want you there then they tend to wave with one finger only.

ah ice jigging sounds like fun to me

Well nice day for a drive I will go and have a look

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

i will stay home and drink some um soutern comfort yesturdays rough ride at bribe took it out of me but fish for luch tomorrow and crabs
    and yeah nice day for it

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Mike you used to be able to get fuel at the Dam Wall end at Somerset......If we are camping at Kirkleagh it would be just as close or closer to go to Kilcoy
    Yeh Whitto they still sell juice at the village below the dam wall but it's about 8k further down to there than it is from the camping ground at Kirkleagh to Kilcoy. They can shut early in the arvo down at the wall too where as you can still buy fuel till late on Fri & Sat nights at Kilcoy.

Hey Darylive-- section B is prob the only place a large group can leave their boats in the water and camp right on the edge beside them, make sure you camp right up the inlet though as skiers are always taking off and comming in at the ramp and of that section, pain in the A.
    Any date yet Darylive? Only pushing you because I need a month or two arrange both Sat & Sun off work.

Cheers
    Mike

Somerset #101

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

G'day Daryl, I've spoken to a few of the boys and looks as though we've got 4 bodies, 2 boats interested. 3 of us have fished Sommerset before, 2 of us regularly, might even sneak over to Big W for a day whilst we 're up there, I've never camped there but I'm keen, I have heard it gets blooooooody cold though!!!! Will have to bring my good mate JD with me to warm the heart. I'll keep checking back to see when you've locked in some dates, Cheers, Jamie.
    My PB's - Have Photos of most of them.

Flathead - 98cm - Bait - Tweed River
    Spottie Mackerel - 105cm - Bait - Palmy Reef
    Australian Bass - 48cm - Spinnerbait - Spot X
    Yellowbelly - 48cm - Yellowbelly - Jackall - Sommerset
    Bream - 38cm - MF40 - Nerang River
    Whiting - 40cm - Bait - Nerang River
    Jack - 40cm (Pitiful I Know) - Live Bait - Coomera River
    Barra - 104cm - Storm Pro Paddle Tail - Mondy

We need a date Dazza .... we need a date !

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

24th 25th is good?

Talking Re: SOMERSET SESSION July Midyear Muster

For those who are interested I will be Fishing at Somerset on the on

The 24th 25th 26th of July

I did have delusions of spending my 50th at some remote location catching big Barra; but the lotto people have let me down so Somerset it is, with 'The Muster Mob'
    Last edited by darylive; 04-05-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: meglamania

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............