Thread: Pilbara Spearing

Pilbara Spearing

G'day

Good to see a spearfishing section,

Anyway summer is over here and the water temp is starting to drop. This means the water clears right up and you can jump into the water for a dive.

Last neap tides we headed south in search of Barcheek Trouts and Tuskies. We headed out to the islands in serch of some structure and do a bit of a tow. It wasn't long before we came across a rocky ledge with a few fish hanging around so the anchor went over. There were a few trout around but I was looking for a bigger one to come into veiw, I swam down and was greeted by one around 600. It wasn't long before it occured brain damage with a 7mm shaft hanging out of its head. With a few more in the esky we went out a bit wider in serch of some tuskfish country.

It was a bit clearer out wider and we were getting towed for about 20 minutes when we came over a bit ground. My mate swam off in hot pusuit of a good Tuskie and I went looking for some more. I was in about 5m of water when I swam over a small ledge with a few trout hanging off it. Previous times i've hovered in the spot for a few minutes and Tuskies swam in so I did the same at this spot. 2 minutes later there it was 600mm of Tuskie comes in. You only get one shot on these things in shallow water and I muffed it! I got it too high up and it came off the spear stright into the ledge. I had just reloaded about to look for this tuskie when his brother comes in. After a slight spinal injury I took it back to the boat to put on ice.

We got another small one before it was crayfish time. We cruised into one of the islands and found a few hiding in bombies. We got 7 and had about 5 more get away. I also noted the amount of Red crays we saw not big ones but unusual to see up this part of the world.

I didn't take any photos of this trip but got some photos from previous trips.

Re: Pilbara Spearing

Barcheek trout

Gday Luke...is that first piccie a Bald chin grouper???good sized fish!!!...that trout is a CRACKER!!!...cheers for the piccies and report

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

Blackspot Tuskfish mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
    Blackspot Tuskfish mate
    Rate them highly as an eating fish Can do some damage to shafts too.

Good trout, also love hunting the blueys. The big ones are always one step ahead of you.

Lol great report Luke. Nice fish!

Top work mate, keep it up.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"