Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cant regain my MOJO

Re: cant regain my MOJO

WOW he has a big set!! The perfect accessory for everyone's saltwater pool!!

I have a little experience with drugging fish..legally, I wonder how a pharmaceutically lazy and well fed Great White behaves.

Not doubting the authenticity of what they are betraying in any way, it's a cracker of a vid, someone must have a powerhead handy.

cheers fnq

maybe you just got older and smarter its always the younger telling you to get in they have less to lose

Quote Originally Posted by reel scream View Post
    Speared as a lad for years out of SA. Had a strange swim back with fish one day and got pretty f'n spooked for no apparent reason. a lad got chomped and dead by a white bastard the next week. This is all at Aldinga SA.

Have since worked the majoriy of my life on boats I(trawlers/charter) and now, in a completely diff industry, am looking at getting back in for a swim.

I have had the bloody fear in me since the swim back from Aldinga when I was 17. I am now 37. I have never speared since. I loved it.

I went and bought a Hawian and some fins before our Yamba trip 2 weeks ago.Never went in ....Dirty water......spose i was saved by the shitty weather. I just cant get myself into water above my waist now and it shits me.

Had a dive/ snorkel up north but cant do it anywhere around here.

Can anyone reccommend someone to yarn to??

Cheers Scott
    Scott
    Try doing a scuba diving course - they're cheap as chips at the moment. Get used to the feel, the sights, the water again, controlling your breathing etc and without spearing anything. Spearing things is like holding up a big sign to toothed creatures that says "Look at me - I'm competing with you for your food - have a go you wus".

Once you have your mojo back under control through scuba diving, well, then you can dump the tank and have a go again with the spear if you feel the need.

But I've got to tell you, while I still let the odd spear fly - more and more rarely these days, there's nothing like swimming with sharks with a tank and shooting with a camera; and of course, catchin your fish from a boat.

There's also that spear fishing place over in Deshon Street at Buranda - can't remember their names - but just drive down the street and you'll see it on the left. They're hardcore.

Regards
    SUPERDAFF

There are some raving loonies spearfishing in South Africa!
    Honestly, it's just par for the course for those guys, GWS are local predators and they dive regardless, although with the greatest respect for, their local apex predator.There is a SA spearo site somewhere, http://www.spearo.co.za/ some of the stories the lads tell are bloodcurdling!
    Interesting theory FNQ, sharkie is behaving very calmly, not like picnic day at the seal colony..................
    Have to agree, it's the one you don't see that's the real worry.
    Apparently the big fellas like to attack from below..........
    Cheers!

After leaving SA then leaving Tas, i ended up in cairns. Did the Scuba thing up there a couple of times and felt OK. Saw some reefies and all was ok. It's this bloody colder water thing with whites that i can't get out of my head.
    Had a 4mtr Tiger take a spanish off me at the side of the boat about 4 years ago in the bay here so I dont even go out past my bloody waist off the beach anymore. Shits me.

Anyway, thanks for the help/replies. Will post up if i get back in.

Cheers Scott

Growing up and growing old mate.

I afraid I am going to die from getting so bloody sensible as I age!!!!

I haven't got the nuts to do half the stupid sh!t I used to do on bikes/cars/water etc etc.

You've had a couple of close calls, seen a few few things and the brain files all that info in the 'don't go back there' folder, then dredges it all back up when the triggers hit (pulling on fins etc?).

Luckily I've got rational mates who dive and who can recite facts about the numbers of shark attacks which calms me down enough.

They do silly things like tech diving, diving off atolls (3 km deep!!!), swimming with whales, sharks (deliberately) and other unthinkable crap that God never intended humans to do in the water - so it makes my occasional snorkel at Flinders more bearable.

Good luck, but I reckon your brain has reached a balance point where it says 'swimming around with a dead bleeding fish is just not worth the risk.'

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDAFF View Post
    There's also that spear fishing place over in Deshon Street at Buranda - can't remember their names - but just drive down the street and you'll see it on the left. They're hardcore.
    Adrenaline are their name. I get all my gear from them - amazing store to walk around. http://www.spearfishing.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by boney-leg View Post
    Adrenaline are their name. I get all my gear from them - amazing store to walk around. http://www.spearfishing.com.au/
    Their mail-order service is excellent, they are very well informed, helpful and efficient.

I bought my Beuchat 1.5mm suit from them a month or so ago, there was a period between my initial contact order so they could ring me as I had a couple of questions, in between this time and when I did place a serious order over the phone, the special on the suit was finished for over a week yet they gave me the special price anyway, just took my word for it, no problem.

The saving would in effect pay for a full days spear fishing on the reef, was quite substantial. So ATM they are on the top of my list for upcoming spearfishing purchases.

Try getting that level of service in a walk in shop! at least I haven't yet.

cheers fnq

Agreed - now I think we should all get something for this shameful promotion

Was hoping someone would mention Rutzen...he's a true genius! Mate as has been said, it's always the one you don't see. If you're in water with great vis and have a buddy or three, you really have VERY little to worry about! I'm always more worried about shallow water blackout when skin diving. Even then the chances are miniscule, especially if you're mindful of POTENTIAL dangers, like you are. Small steps with biggers numbers (people) and I reckon you'll be back on the proverbial mate. It's great that you're aware of the dangers...now it's time to put them back into perspective a little and give yourself another chance to enjoy the briney! Go for it...you WILL get that feeling back. Good luck mate and keep us updated.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by reel scream View Post
    Can anyone reccommend someone to yarn to??

Cheers Scott
    G'day

Not really mate, but a wise man I know always tell me that courage is only the mastery of your fear. Work on that and you'll be ok.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ozbee View Post
    maybe you just got older and smarter its always the younger telling you to get in they have less to lose
    older yes, smarter
    cooks rocks this time of year or sunken reef are great, nice and clear, water is bloody cold though, hope my wetsuit will still fit.
    what about whitpatch drop off, banksia drop off
    cheers
    dazza

If you get in Dazza i will follow............your the biggest target lol for the bullies and tigers around there. I was thinking more like the shallows around the oyster jetty on the mainland side in 2 ft of water, getting flatties......................oh geeze iv'e gone soft . shit!!!! .

I know once i get back from Rainbow comp fishing outside Fraser i will never get back in.

Have fun the rest of you.

Cheers

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by boney-leg View Post
    I dropped in there last week for some advice on a small gun and they were just great.

They answered Margo's and my questions without any spin or hard sell.

Very impressed when I buy I will buy from them

Re the Mojo thing it is a fact of medical science that the male brain does not really comprehend the concept of it's mortality untill about the age of 25.

This does vary depending on the person and situation but on average before you are 25 you believe you are immortal and cannot be hurt, harmed or killed.

Every year after 25 you become more aware that you are mortal and can be hurt or killed.

This is why so many young men die in road accidents and why armies like recruiting young soldiers.

Do what you are comfortable doing, do what you enjoy doing, if you feel uncomfortable or in danger don't do it !

Trust your feelings.