Thread: Your thoughts on the humble mullet...

Your thoughts on the humble mullet...

Hi all,

My first post and I thought I would try to share an obsession as well as try to glean any information that members would like to share.

It all started about 12 years ago when fishing with a few mates and my Dad up at Middle Creek. We we sitting in close to the bank in deeper water and I cast a yabbie, with a poxy little outfit, out onto the shallow water behind.

When it hit I naturally thought it was a ray and just played a while trying to get it to the boat. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a cracker of a mullet. I can honestly say I never enjoyed catching another fish as much as that one.

I live on the Northside of Brissy and mostly fish either the Bribie Passage or inside Moreton. I often see large mullet jumping in the Passage but have been quite unsuccessful in hooking any.

So, does anyone target these things when they go out? If so, are you willing to share your trade secrets so I can indulge again.

Really look forward to seeing if there's any interest / opinion out there.

Cheers,

Steve

Cool Re: Your thoughts on the humble mullet...

gday, nice mullet there

dont have any advice on the others youre talking about maybe flys or small lures or bread..
    CHEERS BRAD

Re: Your thoughts on the humble mullet...

my dad used to say you feed em up on pollard for a few days..and get em coming round. then you mix some epsom salts in the pollard and it cleans em out and makes em hungry. then you try and catch them as they will eat any suitable bait......

cheers.

Mullet can be very tricky customers to catch, especially the bigger ones (bullies) but they do go like buggery when hooked, make good bait or are OK on the plate, a lot can be caught on flies, but that is a whole other story, for the bait fisherman, the trick is to try to get the eating by burleying with bread, then cast a very small hook with no weight and some bread into the feeding school, they can also be taken reasonable regularly on small live Squirt worms, and believe it or not Maggots! but you need small hooks, light line and skill, unless you just happen to snag one like you did!

Hey Chris, I chase mullet for livebait for jacks. Quite often the mullet r too big for our preferred bait size but geez they r fun to catch on light gear, we might have to catch 20-30 to get 8-10 suitable sized ones, the rest usually end up as crab bait.
    The method is, top of the tide, they don't feed well with lots of run unless u can find a calmer eddy, sandy bottom.
    I use a mono 2 hook padenoster rig with small fly hooks down to a small cork float. Burley with bread to get em going then bait the hooks with a small triangle of fresh bread, threading the hook through one corner of the triangle and then pinching it onto the top of the hook. I find they don't feed as well balled up bread on the hook.

Hope that helps.

Pete.

Thanks guys for all the tips.

I'll hopefully get to spend some more time on the water now that work isn't so flamin crazy.

Maybe I'll get to post some more pics soon.

Best regards,

Steve

Billy Ray had the best mullet.....