Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Townsville spearo's

Townsville spearo's

Hey all,
    Interested to see just how many of us from Townsville or nearby that are in to or keen to start spearfishing and what some places are that they have/do spear on?

Me personally, have only gone the once but want to go again, best adrenaline rush and fun ive had in a while.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Re: Townsville spearo's

Gilli, Join the Townsville Skindiving Club. Contact Adam Smith, he works at GBRMPA. They have heaps of club trips out to the reef, palms and the cape etc.

Oh ok, never knew that we had a skindiving club here in t'ville, ill give him a call.
    thanks mate,

cheers,
    Chris
    Gilli

GO326Q

hey gilli they have a web site too mate just google it townsville skin divers but been to the reef and around some of the islands and its great like the reef alot more and also away from mud gekkos i can live with sharks

have a good one
    casey

I just looked them up, gonna give them a call tomorrow as soon as i can. thanks for the info mate, sounds like the go.

cheers,
    Chris
    Gilli

GO326Q

Hi Gilli, I used to do a bit of spearfishing before I moved up here, and loved it. I sold all my gear before moving here because I was only a little concerned (only a little, I swear!) about everything that wants to eat or sting you.

Would love to get back into it though, but have to start from scratch and get all new gear.

haha yeh there is a few critters out there that like human flesh, but what can ya do, shoot them lol..nah just stay out of their way. Ive only just bought me first gun the other day, so keen to head out when the weather is good to give it a burl.

regards,
    Chris
    Gilli

GO326Q

Hey Gilli,
    you are lucky that the Townsville club has Adam S and a number of really top spearos. Adam is one of the best spearos in Australia but very humble and unassuming. He is one of my closest friends...

Mike

Come along to our next club meeting if you're keen - held on the first Tuesday of every month at the Arcadia Surf Lifesaving Club at the Rockpool on the Strand commencing at 7.30pm.

I've been diving for a few years but have only joined the club recently.

They are a great bunch of blokes more than happy to help out.

See you there!

If you want any more info check out the website skindiving . org

Thanks for the info fellas,
    I have been keen, along with a mate of mine, to get into it, we both have all the gear just i have been off work as i had surgery and that sort of restricted me but not im pretty much fully healed ill come along next week more than likely.

cheers,
    Chris
    Gilli

GO326Q

I'd like to get back into it up here, I wanna get my hands on one of those crays I hear so much about.

So what does a new kit cost these days? And I'm talking new fins, wetsuit, mask, gun, everything.

Mate.... how long is a piece of string ?

It's the same as fishing gear.... you can get the target specials... or the loomis calais combos.... it's up to your budget (and missus!)

At the very least... you should spend no less than

$200 on fins
    $400 on a good euro style gun (rob allen, edge, rabitech)
    $100 on a stinger suit (for summer diving) or a wetty for winter
    $150 on a mask & snorkel
    say $100 for bits n pieces (knife, float rope, weight belt, gloves)

And of course a boogie board as a surface float is a must for reef diving.

I've picked up some amazing deals off ebay.... but you need some patience.

Otherwise, there is a new spear/dive shop opening on Charters Towers road in July (or maybe sooner).... it would be worth checking that out.

Another option is some specialty spear shops have full kit combos for those starting out, they might be worth checking out but it would be around 1K plus straight up....

hope that helps, if you need more info let me know

mick

thanks, hasn't changed much, I thought it would cost a lot more to get back into, given the last time I had all the gear was 8 years ago.

Rather than having a stinger suit for summer and wetty for winter, I was thinking just to get a wetsuit, even for summer, stay in the water long enough and you'll start to feel cold.

It's hotter than it is cold up here though.... go a 1.5 or 2mm wettie... it will last you 9 months of the year....

I spent 5 hours in the water on saturday in a 1.5 and was nice n toasty

Guys, dont forget we have Aquasports NQ on Ingham Rd, in the Alsafe Building next to Ingham Seafoods. This is a hardcore Spearos Store. Speak to Sean. Good value and top products.