14 21.88%
  • bit of both

27 42.19%
  • currently spearo but interested in fishing

1 1.56%
  • currently fisho but interested in spearfishing

22 34.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spearo's section right here on Ausfish!

Spearo's section right here on Ausfish!

Well, we now have our own spearfishing section right here on Ausfish! Sweet! (thanks mods). So, I was wondering how many out there partake in this wonderful sport and please do NOT turn this in to a debate as all this does is cause problems. As some of you already know I'm from WA and absolutely love my spearfishing, it's just such a different experience underwater and everyone should give it a go at least once. I look forward to future reports and pics from everyone.

Cheers guys
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Spearo's section right here on Ausfish!

Diving really is a wonderful activity..I did it for many years starting at about 14 through to around 27..Some really good things to see and remember for a life time..
    We did both as a mate of mine we would always team up as a pair for safety,but we spear fished and we had our own tanks.not at the same time.
    We entered spear fishing comps too..Most time spent in the water one day was non stop was 7 hrs.And I can tellya I could barely walk after that for 2 days.

Very good for the body too health wise in fitness etc.
    In the end I had to give it up,as I got older I started to have some real problems trying to pressurize my ears and gave up..

Had the chance to spend time with Rodney fox during the 70’s , plus we had our fair share of sharks too..Just remember to have a look behind oneself every so often as we learnt which does help to keep you alive.The more you dive the greater the risk.
    Once the outlay in purchasing one’s diving gear after that the cost aren’t to bad..

These days I still spend time on the water instead and every so often see divers and think back of some enjoyable years..

Looking forward to this section and peoples views ............... There are some greta local spearing vids on youtube and have been watching a lot of late . Interesting how they secure the camera to guns for a first action view .
    Cheers JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Yep this will be good.

Im getting right into me spearfishing, only been the once but the adrenaline rush and just how much there is to actually see whilst you are under the water is an awesome thing.

Lucky i got the mods to start the spearfishing thread ay lol, didnt think it would be this big of a hit.

regards,
    Chris
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

I used to be into it fairly heavily once, was doing scuba at the same time but that just left a person wondering why bother at the end of the day, so dropped it completely as it couldn't compete, was pretty but thumb twiddling, spearfishing was much more fun.

Been out of it for a long time now and just tooling up again, I still have my old basics and they still work, have not long ago bought a new wetsuit and gun, now looking for a knife and a new weight belt, for some reason the old belt is a bit short

Bit worried about it, new area I have never done it in before, the thought of easing back appeals.

Anyone from Cairns region who could be interested in heading out for a play over the side somewhere cleanwater but intermediate let me know.

cheers fnq

About bloody time. I do both but I enjoy spearing a lot more and here around the Keppels there is a big choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    I used to be into it fairly heavily once, was doing scuba at the same time but that just left a person wondering why bother at the end of the day, so dropped it completely as it couldn't compete, was pretty but thumb twiddling, spearfishing was much more fun.

Been out of it for a long time now and just tooling up again, I still have my old basics and they still work, have not long ago bought a new wetsuit and gun, now looking for a knife and a new weight belt, for some reason the old belt is a bit short

Bit worried about it, new area I have never done it in before, the thought of easing back appeals.

Anyone from Cairns region who could be interested in heading out for a play over the side somewhere cleanwater but intermediate let me know.

cheers fnq
    now looking for a knife and a new weight belt, for some reason the old belt is a bit short
    Was it short only at one end or both ends.??

Hi everyone, we now have a spearing club in gladstone and may be having an event in early in july. Water should be clean. I usually fish in the warmer months and start spearing from here on in through the colder months. Heres a couple of photos of some fish i have speared to make you all keen

Some Awesome fish mate. Been looking at a few of Wayne Judges Movies
    They are some horse spano's
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Ok a quick glance through this section shows there is a glaring ommison, all of Doug Hannings sp? reports should be in here.

Quote Originally Posted by straddie View Post
    Ok a quick glance through this section shows there is a glaring ommison, all of Doug Hannings sp? reports should be in here.
    Done. Thanks
    Regards

mod5

Quote Originally Posted by warti View Post
    Hi everyone, we now have a spearing club in gladstone and may be having an event in early in july. Water should be clean. I usually fish in the warmer months and start spearing from here on in through the colder months. Heres a couple of photos of some fish i have speared to make you all keen
    Top fish mate. What gun do you use for those bad boys? What gun does everyone use? Looking to get myself a good one real soon.

Good to see a lot of people already interested.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

My dive kit
    1.4 Carbon twin 16's
    1.2 alloy Rabitech 20mm
    memo fins stiffness 6
    3mm wettie that serves me all year round

hoping to get out this weekend and will try to get a report together

1.3 rob allen, single pelaj 18mm rubber, cressi gara 3000s, (which i hope to replace with some DIVE-R fins, and a 2.5 wettie which i also need to upgrade.