Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Monduran - mini muster, monster bust-offs & baby barra

Re: Monduran - mini muster, monster bust-offs & baby barra

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Cheers for the vid guys, please no comments on rod technique from any one, my fragile ego couldnt stand it

Ginger wine Easter egg shots, yeah, seemed like a good idea at the time funny enough, Im sure Darryl has horns hiding under that hair cut!
    Least I left the Sambuccas alone, was that a cold or a massive hangover Tony?? .
    Your right about the surface thing though, think Ive found a new love in my life, and its called "walkin the dog" - woof woof lol

Interesting shots on the side imager Rod, banged ya an email mate.
    Stevo, Im lovin the company car mate, that is quite the tow vehicle, give me a yell bout the shed when it starts to happen, see if we can get a trench by the concreters in for the power conduit prior to slab down?
    Ripper Vid B, thanks for sharing Roo................more bloody fuel on the fire..............I can't stand it

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Cheers for the vid guys, please no comments on rod technique from any one, my fragile ego couldnt stand it Your right about the surface thing though, think Ive found a new love in my life, and its called "walkin the dog" - woof woof lol
    Awesome video footage Roo...you were Johnny on the spot all right. The technique looked fab Brian, and as Nagg says, all the more special being by yourself. The net and you work as a good team mate.

Go the dog turds. I do remember Harro touching on the subject at some time and he could not stress enough about the importance of maintaining some slack line. To quote the great man, and I hope he doesn't mind me doing so, he said: "...barra (like bass) have a phased response to surface presentations. Sometimes they just want to piss the thing off, but when killing and eating is the motivation, the impact is like a six inch knockout punch....there's a hole in the water...the lure is gone.

In making the best of things, can I suggest fishing a high rod angle with a sag of line between tip and lure. Use this slack in conjuction with the tip to work a stop/start retrieve cadence. The reel ONLY comes into play so's to keep the sag at a managable level. When there's a strike, having that slack on hand is a real bonus with implosion feeders like barra. But it important to wait until there's weight before doing anything. By all means lower the rod, but don't rear back with one of those drama queen hooksets you see on ESPN....."

I still p*ss myself everytime I read that....Harro has such a unique turn of phrase...love it.

Anyway, excellent work Mr Teflon....you are having a good season mate. I hope to be up there for a weekend in June.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Ok, I should put my hand up and admit it was Kim that took the footage....she just isn't Kompoota illegitimate enough to upload it
    If only Johhny on the spot had a video feed running constantly to catch the initial strike and jump.....that was like a piece of Skylab falling to earth. Not just a boof, the lure was absolutely Monstered! and Brian Quips...Thats a Hit!!!

The side image sounder was certainly everything I expected and more. I am wrapped in it's ability to show me what is down there and why some places are so popular.....also highlighted how little bits of log can be all they need to find comfort and safety. Some of the spots we did well on in September were exposed to see what where and why they had fish in them....sneaky sneaky sunken lantana was one of our success spots but another which produced all week was fairly non de script to look at underwater....not much to attract your attention in the way of structure...but plenty to see when you put the lessons of water/food flow into perspective. Trees/snags are not everything. A simple depression in a expansive flat can be an access way from weedcover to deepwater that on a 2d sounder may show as a slight dip, but the Side Image will show up as a drain. I may be making some assumptions here but I reckon given the choice to swim up onto the flat in an extra few feet of water...I'd reckon the fish might just choose that every time, especially if they are the creatures of habit that some many fish are.

anyway, had a ball playing with the new tool and learning a thing or 2. Great to catch up with all the crew again.

Cheers Roo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    My God it's a bad disease......

Just left Mondy on Sunday morning and have read & re-read all posts about the mini muster, viewed the pics, relived a few moments and helped Brian land his surface barra over and over again on Roo's video......

Which reminds me, I ran into Brian a few times over the weekend. The first time, while we were talking he just stopped mid conversation and said "I just love Monduran". The second time he did the same thing and said "I just love barra fishing". Sort of sums it up really....

Can't wait to get back for another crack....surely I'm not alone??

Pete

no Pete ..... you're most definitely not alone -
    I was concocting my next sortie on the way out of North B

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've got dates set in place. lock it in Eddie!

nice footage ladies and gents i think my next trip up will be early june at this stage may take 2 days hols

shane

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post

The side image sounder was certainly everything I expected and more. I am wrapped in it's ability to show me what is down there and why some places are so popular.....also highlighted how little bits of log can be all they need to find comfort and safety.
    Rod, I run a Lowrance lcx28c and a 510c and I love them, but I was blown away at the top of the Mondy ramp in December when a fellow fisho showed me an image he captured on his 'Bird "side winder". I sauntered over for a look see and lo and behold his captured image showed the full definition and outline of a metre plus barra resting near structure. It could have been published on a magazine cover it was that clear......

Mind you it still didn't help him capture that lone fish. That being said, I was mightily impressed. Smart units they are.
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Hi Pete and Kyle,

Well mate i almost missed meeting you pair, if it wasn't for the chance meeting at the camp we would have missed.

Great report mate, you both did well, always makes the return trip to the Lake very easy to make.

Cheers,
    John.

Cheers John,

Sorry we were not more social but by Saturday night we were exhausted and still fishless. We had to get up early Sunday for one last crack and fortunately it was successful....

No doubt we will have more time for a chat at the muster in September.....

Pete & Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    Kim could you pm the recipe for the rocky road
    Done Simon....I'll trade you for the smoked chicken recipe, that was yummy!
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Hi everone who attended the mini muster last weekend it was good meeting you all.
    Have read all reports its good to see a few fish were caught in what i feel was a tough going.Trish dropped one fish after a bit of a battle in the trees i didn't get one hit will have to get a guide for a day, can't have the wife out fishing me on a regular basis. I can't beleive how different it is to fishing in salt water.
    Sorry we didnt spend much time with you lot at night i was ready for bed by 10 pm every night, just had a week of partying at a footy reunion.

Peter.