Thread: Pot thieves

Pot thieves

Spent the Sunday prior to Easter till Easter Sunday at YAMBA. Took 4 pots down. Regs are 1 each. Rewrite names addresses etc. The 3 of of us VENTURE FORTH......... First night all stolen.

Not happy.

Rest of trip spent with the kids ,,,,,, having a ball. Wet at times. My 3yo caught his first 20 bream. go Jackaby

scott

Re: Pot thieves

Quote Originally Posted by reel scream View Post
    Spent the Sunday prior to Easter till Easter Sunday at YAMBA. Took 4 pots down. Regs are 1 each. Rewrite names addresses etc. The 3 of of us VENTURE FORTH......... First night all stolen.

Not happy.

Rest of trip spent with the kids ,,,,,, having a ball. Wet at times. My 3yo caught his first 20 bream. go Jackaby

scott
    Scott,

Nice to see the 3yo catch his first fish, memories of a lifetime.

Hope the other aspects of the family time together were good.

Those pot stealing mongrels, take their boat and all associated gear of them. Then they can't take anymore. No idea of what and why they would do it. Just low lifes. Very hard to explain to the young ones as well.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by reel scream View Post

Not happy.

scott
    Good ay Scott,
    You are a gold member so you have been around for a while,

I have tried to understand why people set leave thier pots for 24hr? soaks, instead of using them & taking them home.

Can you enlighten me , because as an "X" pro crabber (unfortunately) I just could never carry all my pots on board at once, the designs we make were not around then.

Drop in some time to our shed.

Mike

I will give you an example of the mentality of some scum bags...

Recently, a family of unashamed bogans move into the rented home beside me... A nice home in a nice area...... I still wonder HOW they afford to leave in it when neither of them go to work - and he can be seen sucking on tallies on his front verandah from 11am in the morning.

Anyway - I digress... (sorry I do that a bit lol)

My close mate towed his boat down from Townsville so we could go fishing together over Easter....

We were rigging up the boat in my drive, putting on the canopy etc after the big trip down... and the neighbour waddles out - half tanked..... and starts making comments about "how lucky" we are to own a boat (so "lucky" to work 60+ hour weeks on roatating shift work after 7 years of study lol)... MY blood boils on the inside but I refrain, as he continues to make stupid small chat and I do my best to ignore him..

Then sensing his annoyance - he pipes up and offers to loan us "some crab pots from my massive stash"... I explained that we had 9 as it was between us, and therefore had to leave one at home as regs were 4pp max. He then went on to tell me how shit my BCF ones were, (Dont say a word Trap 'em lol) and how some of his were professional quality and didnt cost him a cent. He then went on to tell us how he "collects pots", and went on to explain how he was down at Jacobs well recently fishing from a jetty. He told us how he was fishing there in the rain with "his missus" (*shudders* - poor wife)... and noticed three crab pots within wading distance to the pylon.... His justification was "It was raining hard, and we assumed they were other peoples on the jetty, but when they left, we thought they were fair game, and so we took them".

I honestly couldnt believe that this scum bag could justify in his head that he had the right to take someone else's property - just because someone hadnt been next to them.

I lost it - and did my lolly - (he already had borrowed my wheelie bin without asking that week for a party, and returned it with someone's vomit it in and smelling of same - without asking!)

He soon went home with his tail between his legs - but not before saying that if he didnt take them, someone else would of.

I am kind of stuck in a rock and a hard place now - For fear of retribution to my house and property - I dont want to antagonise the situation - as it wouldnt be too hard to work out who called the boys in blue - if indeed they would even be interested.... he could just change his story...

I guess it just goes to show that with toothless bogans around, who justify in their head the world owes them a living, and anything and everything is fair game if not in possession - the days of being able to leave your pots unattended are all but over.

Braddles I am an unashamed toothless bogan
    My only point is that not all toothless bogans are thieves.
    I could rant but you are right about the scumbags of the world and it is worse when they move in next door.(Had that experience.)
    Reel scream,sorry to hear of your loss but great to hear about the three year old catching a good bag,a word of warning though,my son who is now 15 started fishing when he was still in a pram,now it costs me a fortune to support his habit.
    Trapem why cant we go out fishing one day drop off our pots and not expect to find them the next day when we are out again,the only problem is feral lowlife scum who steal other peoples property.we should be able to enhance our chances of a feed of crab by leaving our pots out overnight provided they are set in accordance to law.

Cheers Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Trapem- leaving them overnight is a convenience thing i suppose. Drop them out on the incoming early arvo, back for some arvo drinks , dinner, kids to bed, camp games, drinks,....... Wake up in the morn and go collect pots. The narrowness of my pot openings usually means its pretty bloody hard for them to get out, so time is not a factor.

Used to sink them but have seen the damage a lost/unclaimed/unmarked pot can do, so have floated them for the last few years.

Like others have said- i should be able to leave them without some lazy scab helping himself.

PM me your shed details Mike.

Braddles- Bloody hell mate. Sounds very similar to a mate up here whose neighbour is now selling muddies to supplement his Gov handout. Pity mandatory castration or tube tying of some of these idiots isnt in place. They breed and pass on their "knowledge" to their spawn unfortunately, and thus the cycle continues.

Catfishkid- i'm hearing you Craig. Daughter saw lads new rod and reel and now her's isnt good enough.

Left my 3 remaining pots out last night here on Bribie and all still there with good numbers of crabs.

Cheers Scott

yeah there probably the same people that send there kids to daycare for $5 a day (and stupid gov pays the rest) cos its easier for someone else to look after them while we have to pay over $50 a day cos we work....(go figure) when all they do is sit at home drinking, smoking and watching tv
    because we have to work this is the reason i also drop my pots one evening after work and pick them up next day either before or after work cos i dont get a chance to get out as often as i used to and would like...
    the majority of the people that steal the pots are people that arent hard working people that are so used to hand outs and getting something for nothing that when they go down the local creek and see a crabpot unattended think its a free for all
    sorry about the rant but i fricken hate these people
    (probably the same people that break into cars at the ramps when the boaties are out realising there pots are also stolen)
    on the other hand it could just be that there are some massive crabs out there that climb into the pots, stick there legs back out threw and crawl away with the pot and all....
    cheers, andrew

Hearing you Andrew.

Got to be a bit careful though mate. I LOVE a drink and smoked up until Sep last year. But i get your train of thought.

Cheers Scott

Sounds like some of you guys need to get together and set a trap or two and then GIVE a serious azz whippen.

I could just see this .........................I don't know how it was officer , when I goy home with my stolen property and was unloading four guys with masks on showed up and beat my azz and that is why I need to go to the hospital to get my broken bones fixed.

Then while the scum bag is in the hospital , steal all his stuff and donate it to the homeless .

I HATE a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by trapem View Post
    Good ay Scott,
    You are a gold member so you have been around for a while,

I have tried to understand why people set leave thier pots for 24hr? soaks, instead of using them & taking them home.

Can you enlighten me , because as an "X" pro crabber (unfortunately) I just could never carry all my pots on board at once, the designs we make were not around then.

Drop in some time to our shed.

Mike
    G'day Trapem

mate, I do 24 hour soaks as well, because unless I do that, I just don't catch enough crabs for the effort.

I would dearly love to learn how to go and target either mud or sand crabs in traps and expect to catch a decent bag full in half a day while I fish near by. Just doesn't seem to happen for me. I usually score about 30 or so sandy bucks from an overnight soak of 8 pots, with about 8:1 jennies vs. bucks in the pots when I pick them up next day.

I have some of your pots (not knocking them at all) but to be honest, the catch rate isn't any different to my BCF pots. I would however buy yours again just because of the weight of the pot and the fact that they last longer.

I will drop in and have a yarn with you about it. PM me your contact details.

cheers

Mick

I think crab pot theft is sometimes over reported where you have lots of run and or weed.

We soaked pots for 7 days over Easter checking them morning and afternoon at Bribie.

None of ours moved except one. But we saw plenty of pots drifting by in the 3 knot current. In fact to hold the position of ours we had to double float (as the current would pull one float under) and put bricks in them with 20M of thin rope for 10M of water.

I think I am going to start pulling pots that are on the move and ringing the number on the pot or float. I could tell the owner that I will leave at a specific spot where they can find it. We saw heaps of obviously lost pots over the break.

Scott
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

hey all,

Ive had a few pots nicked over the last 12 - 18months aswell. Im pretty sure i've lost a few on my own accord though.

Although i KNOW FOR CERTAIN AT LEAST 2 WERE STOLEN because when i pulled the floats, the bricks i was using to weigh them down were tied to the end of the line.

I reckon a flare and oxy/acet bomb should sort em out.

2 bricks tied to a float, a bag of oxy/acet strapped close to the bricks and a flare underneath it with a loop in the rope and a small piece of cord attached to the loop and the flare pull. hehe hehe hehe

Pull the rope, small string pops flare, bag explodes, loud bang, lots of water disruption, possibly smoke or rather obvious light at night, brown underpants, lesson learned. hehehehe

just a thought.

and If anyone replies 'what if someone gets hurt?', if they werent doing the wrong thing, there wouldnt be a problem.
    Last edited by Member101; 02-06-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: picture didnt work. (Was really artistic too)