Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boaties - Give us some space.

Boaties - Give us some space.

Any body who fishes at Redlciffe would no doubt have noticed the increase in the number of Kayak fishers. There seems to be some sort of rumour running around the ramps that the kayakers know where all the snapper are out there.

To some degree this is true. The simple fact is that Kayakers catch fish out here because we are quiet. We don't come roaring in with a noisy 2 stroke and pull up and bang anchor chains against aluminium hulls before throwing the pick in the water with a massive splash. When I see this I pack up and paddle for a few hundred metres before even thiinking about fishing again.

Since people have decided that it is the person on the kayak that knows where the fish are and not just the stealth of the craft that is helping them to land a few, the kayakers have been getting shadowed by the leeches amongst the fishing community who are too lazy and or stupid to figure out an area and catch a feed on their own.

This morning was my turn. There were 3 of us fishing together at around 5am. It was dark but we were all well lit with white all round LED lights that were visible from a long distance, maybe too visible.

We were fishing about a kilometre south of the main reef point at scarborough well away from the usual crowd of followers that turn reef point into the parking lot circus that it can be on a calm non working day.

A tinny came out from Scarborough boat harbour around the point and there were no other visible lights from boats fishing in the area. They made a bee line directly toward us and did a full lap of us at about 20 metres away. OK so we were getting sussed out to see who these lights were and what we were fishing...that's OK you had your look time to move on. Nope this bloke then gets directly in front of us and starts moving in closer again over the top fo the mark we were fishing, our berley trail and our baits.

It was at this point that I not so politely suggested he move on as my kayak is a single seater and that seat is already taken. He makes a few smart comments before moving off to annoy somebody else. All done.

To the boat fisherman the jet ski is the scurge of the water. But to the kayak fisherman the boatie is fast becoming their biggest enemy, with kayak forums continually reporting incidents such as mine or sometimes more dangerous encounters.

Guys... it is a big bit of water, you don't need to follow us around if you want to catch fish at Redcliffe. There are 3 very important things that can turn your fishing in this area around.

1. Be quiet. use and electric if you have one. Carpet your anchor well in your tinnie and place it quietly in the water. Cut your motor and drift quietly to your spot.

2. Use good quality bait or make sure your plastics are well presented i.e. Thread them on the jig head straight.

3. Reduce the weight on your rigs. Most of the time you don't need a sinker in this area, if you do then start small and work your way up as required (small is 00 ball)

Give the kayak guys some space they aren't gurus, most of us are struggling to catch a feed also, there is going to be a blue out here soon if this crap continues.

End of rant.

Kev

Re: Boaties - Give us some space.

Goodo and I can understand the concern.

We also see the boatie roaring past the paddler fisho way too close and nearly causing an upset all too often as well.
    When we ever see a paddler it's 6kts from about 100-150m before the paddler until we've gone past just so there's near to no wash.
    I just think of the fishing gear that might go down to Davey if the canoe/kayak etc gets belly up.
    A bit of common courtesy to all the users of the waterways would be a pleasant change to say the least.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Even in a full sized boat, If I was onto a few snaps and some drongo ran 20m circles arround me I'd be pretty pissed.

Regardless the rule is, 30 meters, 6 knots no wash........lots of people don't grasp that one either...........that is two seperate requirements at 30 meters......6 knots.......and ....... no wash.

We are obliged with a duity of care written down chapter and verse, to ensure that our wake does not present a risk to other craft.

regardless of the distance or speed, if your wash may cause danger or damage you are liable for prosecution.

mutter mutter drongos

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

It's just common courtesy, isn't it? Try picking up your camera and start taking photos. Guys like this should be reported if they are creating safety issues. The Police may at least "chat" them. Much more effective than having a blue.

I get riled up when I hear about meatheads like this. They give us all a bad name.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Kev, i like your post, but i can say a few of you yackers have a huge attatude (sp) problem

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    Kev, i like your post, but i can say a few of you yackers have a huge attatude (sp) problem

Daz
    Your outboard must be a lot quieter than mine Daz I didn't think those gestures where attitude based I though that where saying I am very hot and tired from paddling all this way please tilt up and spray me with a waterfall of cool refreshing water and the post gestures I put down to lots of individual thanks all strung together. will turn OB off and listen better next time

cheers fnq

Ken you are absolutely correct there is no excuse, same as bullying by any larger craft, we have all been on the receiving end or will be at some time, such is life everywhere.

cheers fnq

Before we go any further guys, the lap around me wasn't at pace he did slow down and reduce his wash.

My point is that what he was doing was working his way around us in the middle of nowhere to try and see what we were fishing. And that was fine for a bit, he had his look and obviously could not find the isolated bommie that was there as it is very small. He then started coming in closer and this is where I drew the line. I'm sure any body fishing at a particular mark either in a tinnie, or offshore in a bigger craft (spot x or whatever) that has someone tracking up their berley trail and motoring around them and then over area where their baits are now more or less under the other parties boat would be fairly pissed.

I'm not all that concerned with boat wash myself, I am confident and capable in my yak and have yet to be too badly affected by wash, but I'm sure the day will come when I do get a good wash from a passing cruiser that is going to get me. Others in yaks may not be as comfortable with boat wash as I am and probably make their vioces heard.

The particular problem at Redcliffe seems to be the rumour working it's way around that the kayakers get all the fish out there. What this does is send the weekend fisho that doesn't catch alot seeking out the kayakers, purely because there is obviously fish where he is fishing, because he heard that the 'kayakers get heaps of snapper at Redcliffe'.

One of the reasons I bought a kayak was for the stealth factor and as I stated above when somebody shows up banging an anchor around in an aluminium hull then it is time for me to leave as my stealthy cover has just been blown, I'm not about to blow up about stuff like that but blatantly trying to pinch somebodies mark from under their nose is a little off, might as well check my crab pos for me too.

He was an idiot.
    In fact, the majority of boaters it seems cannot grasp the 30m/6 knot/no wash rule. Just go down the gold coast on the broadwater and watch idiots gunning it past pontoons, ramps and jetties at full speed 10m from the ramp, and almost flipping there overpowered tinnies.

The water cops must make a fortune on fines down there... but they need more of them to catch these morons!

I certainly hear you and it is good to see someone bring this problem to the forum for all to take note.

For one I think I am normally thoughtful of others and don't get too close when fishing, except when the pack is drifting for whiting or baitfish.

Ihope your waters stay calm and you catch plenty

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Regardless the rule is, 30 meters, 6 knots no wash........lots of people don't grasp that one either...........that is two seperate requirements at 30 meters......6 knots.......and ....... no wash.
    The 30m 6 knots rule is for anchored boats I think (MSQ). Otherwise, I believe the rule is to keep well clear when overtaking.

Other boats stealing GPS marks, anchoring in your line of drift, anchoring too close to where you are fishing etc etc etc happend all the time, whether you are in a boat or any other watercraft. Been a few times when I have given other boats a spray of obscenities to help them remember some courtesy.

Don't think you are special or will get any extra consideration just because you are in a kayak.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The 30m 6 knots rule is for anchored boats I think (MSQ). Otherwise, I believe the rule is to keep well clear when overtaking.

Other boats stealing GPS marks, anchoring in your line of drift, anchoring too close to where you are fishing etc etc etc happend all the time, whether you are in a boat or any other watercraft. Been a few times when I have given other boats a spray of obscenities to help them remember some courtesy.

Don't think you are special or will get any extra consideration just because you are in a kayak.

Jeremy
    I'll never forget the knob in the 50ish foot Rivvie passing me at a good 15 knots within 10 metres while I was anchored. Damn near lost a man o/b. Yep, it's not just yaks that suffer at the hands of wankers...

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Yes in deed the letter of the law as per the 6 knot rule does not apply to boats underway. IE not at anchor,aground or made fast to the shore.

However there is a general specificaly stated and implied responisbility placed upon all masters to operate their craft in a way that does not cause damage or danger to any other craft or structure.

check out section 221 of the qld regulations

especilay check out section 128.

A person must not operate a ship at a speed at which the ship's wash is reasonably capable of causing-

(a) a marine incident or
    (b) damage to the shoreline

Maximum penalty 200 penalty units...........a penalty unit is currently $75 i believe.

Remember it isn't all in the boating and safety guide.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Hi Just chips i know where you mean i fish there myself in the boat and have had a kyaks come out and fish around me but i always give them room and go slow when leaving the area but you do get some knobs scream in and anchor up near you as well even in a boat

shane

There is of course the possibility that old mate had the mark too and was just doing a quick lap to make sure he couldn't get on it?

I fish wrecks etc offshore, and there are plenty of blowflys - but there are plenty of other blokes who also have the mark and want to have a shot too. I can understand that - I don't necessarily like it but I can understand it.