Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boaties - Give us some space.

Re: Boaties - Give us some space.

It happens everyday in boats aswell. Curiosity killed the cat. People just can't help themselves. This isn't a boat/kayak problem so don't start creating a rift between the two. Remember also that boaties pay rego and have as much right to be there as you do! I suggest you get used to it or stay at home.

especilay check out section 128.

A person must not operate a ship at a speed at which the ship's wash is reasonably capable of causing-

(a) a marine incident or
    (b) damage to the shoreline

Maximum penalty 200 penalty units...........a penalty unit is currently $75 i believe.

How do wake board boats exist if this is the law!

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    It happens everyday in boats aswell. Curiosity killed the cat. People just can't help themselves. This isn't a boat/kayak problem so don't start creating a rift between the two. Remember also that boaties pay rego and have as much right to be there as you do! I suggest you get used to it or stay at home.
    Geez Gator, that's a tad inflammatory don't you think? The "kayaks paying rego" bit is akin to bicycles paying it. Totally unworkable, and just about a no brainer if you really think about it.

Whether people can help themselves or not, to say that "get used to it" is a valid response to people acting like a$$holes on the water is... well... dumb. OK? People SHOULD have an idea of the Law - they got a license, didn't they? They are not allowed that close, they should not get that close, they are rude at best, and a deadly hazard at worst.

I have a 7 metre fibreglass boat. I got buzzed at maybe 10 metres while at anchor (50 metres required) and 15 knots by a 50 foot Riv. Nearly turned me over. Should I just get used to it? No, I should have let him have it with a ten ball. He couldn't hear me yelling at him over his engines.

The wash Law pertains to when you are in certain zones, or near boats, it is not an "everywhere out there" Law. It makes that clear, I'm sure.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Timi,

old mate in the yak got buzzed by someone who wasn't breaking any laws. He slowed right down so I don't think your two situations are even close.

I am tending to agree with gator on this one - I've fished from a canoe (15ft rosco) since when only greenies had them and they definitely weren't trendy, still do. Every craft has its place, and I think if you're going to paddle a kilometre offshore from redcliffe to a piece of well known reef and assume that you're the only vessel who has the mark for a particular rock, and that you're the only one who'se going to be there all morning - you're a bit precious.
    Try putting it on the roof and driving somewhere that boats can't launch, with a few snags to keep the outboards out and find out where yaks/canoes really come into their own.

I think the bit about the law was to highlight just how many maritime laws are systematically not heeded in day to day boating . Correct me if I'm wong Gator.

Now for starters section 128 applies and where anytime.

There is a problem that marine law at the moment does not cater for or deal with a whole range of recreational craft.

It has only recently caught up with personal water craft.

It has very specific and long stsnding provisions for sail craft.

But there seems to be no specific arrangements for manualy powered craft that travel and significant distance.....the only expectations is that there might be a few rowing boats and they wont go far.

There have been no specific laws to control sail boards or kite surfing, in my view these two items are at least as dangerous as a PWC and often less controlable.

There seems to be no acknowledgment of wakeboards, they just get lumped in with skiers.

I think there needs to be some serious revision of marine law to cover what sort of craft are arround these days.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Hey Just_Chips I'm in a 15 foot half cab and just hate it when other boaties come up my berley trail. My weekends are Tues and weds thank God for that. After experiencing fishing on weekends its enough to turn you into a ********* pirate. Wanting to spray a few shots around and board the other boat and take them ransom .

Quote Originally Posted by sharkymark2 View Post
    My weekends are Tues and weds thank God for that. After experiencing fishing on weekends its enough to turn you into a ********* pirate. Wanting to spray a few shots around and board the other boat and take them ransom .
    Snap my weekends are anything other than weekends....

As has been said several times - it's not just boat drivers who show no consideration. It's also not just amateurs - old mate and I were very nearly pushed onto the Maloolabah rock wall one night by one of the pilot boats who was not even close to the 6knott limit. Scared the bejeebus out of us, I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Yes in deed the letter of the law as per the 6 knot rule does not apply to boats underway. IE not at anchor,aground or made fast to the shore.

However there is a general specificaly stated and implied responisbility placed upon all masters to operate their craft in a way that does not cause damage or danger to any other craft or structure.

check out section 221 of the qld regulations

especilay check out section 128.

A person must not operate a ship at a speed at which the ship's wash is reasonably capable of causing-

(a) a marine incident or
    (b) damage to the shorel

Maximum penalty 200 penalty units...........a penalty unit is currently $75 i believe.

Remember it isn't all in the boating and safety guide.

cheers
    A penlaty unit is now $100

Ok wheres my soapbox

Bikes on roads, no rego, no insurance. Now some will say that they have a right to be there. Ok but they should have a obligation to maintain a speed relevant to the speed limit and conditions so as not to create a hazard, (same as all road users should drive at a speed that does not create a hazard due to road conditions or weather conditions) if they can not then get off the road!!They should still be treated with courtesy as all road users.

Canoes and yacs on the waterways, they are designed for certain conditions and areas, so they should not expect special treatment other then courtesy when they venture into an area where they were not designed for. By being on the water in areas where it is reasonable that boats will be operating at speed they create a risk to themselves and everyone else.( I'm not talking about being anchored or moored ) Being small and hard to see, how many try to reduce that risk by wearing easy to see clothing or flashing led lights. Recently at Mooloolaba i was amaised to see just on dusk people on kayacs and outrigger canoes coming into the harbour without any consideration that they are a hazard to themselves and everyother person on the water. Did they have a right to be there, probably but they also have an obligation to do so safely. At the end of the day everyone should be considerate of other people and consider how their actions impact others. It works both ways.
    Mark

Ok hard hat and kevlar coat now on.

I remember an instance when flicking some sand bank drop off's on the goldy for flatty's when I turned a corner to find two blokes with their hobbie kayaks pulled up on shore with one lunging back on a lenny wong.
    In their kayaks They had sounder's fishing rod's in holder's quite the package looked good, but you may need to be of your tree to own one.

Cheer's BAT.