Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Barra Outfit

What Is Your Favorite Barra Outfit

Hi All ...... Just a little bit of easter fun here.

Most of us barra enthusiasts have several barra outfits ..... some spin , some baitcast , some expensive & some less so -
    So what is your go to outfit ..... the one you like to use the most ...... for whatever reason
    Or - If you like ...... what outfit would you like to own

Happy Easter everyone

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: What Is Your Favorite Barra Outfit

Hi Chris, my most successful outfit of late is my spin outfit being a T-curve 6-10kg with a Luvius 2500R reel. I find casting the spin for a while though gives me a bit of finger whiplash though. A very light and easy to use outfit though.

My favorite reel is my Abu Revo inshore currently on a Rader Impoundment barra rod. I really would like to upgrade this rod though and currently looking at the Egrell offers and T-curve. My dream rod would be a Ian Miller Blademaster around 7ft for casting SP's. I cannot justify the expense though for a rod that gets only a few goes a year. - enjoy your long weekend - Richard

Hi chris . Lets get the ball rolling, my favourite outfit 4 mondy is a zillion 100ha matched 2 a egrell b85. I only use this 4 hardbods but it is my prefered weapon. Hope 2 get 2 use it again soon. Cheers Les

Ah Easter...................... Hot cross bun with 2 Easter eggs melted inside

Sorry, had a few extra dry's. Going shopping tomorrow, u know where, so I will let u know what I score.

Happy Easter 2 u 2 bud.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Hi Chris, my most successful outfit of late is my spin outfit being a T-curve 6-10kg with a Luvius 2500R reel. I find casting the spin for a while though gives me a bit of finger whiplash though. A very light and easy to use outfit though.

My favorite reel is my Abu Revo inshore currently on a Rader Impoundment barra rod. I really would like to upgrade this rod though and currently looking at the Egrell offers and T-curve. My dream rod would be a Ian Miller Blademaster around 7ft for casting SP's. I cannot justify the expense though for a rod that gets only a few goes a year. - enjoy your long weekend - Richard
    Hi Richard

Its interesting to hear the change / progression in barra tackle - specially spin gear ....... more & more are using them - One thing / advantage with a good barra spin outfit is that it also makes a good snapper one

Have a safe & happy easter

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Ah Easter...................... Hot cross bun with 2 Easter eggs melted inside

Sorry, had a few extra dry's. Going shopping tomorrow, u know where, so I will let u know what I score.

Happy Easter 2 u 2 bud.

Pete.
    Not that unmentionable Coffs lollie store - do you have anything in mind ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Are well mate I like a Foxies shirt pair of shorts and lucky undies, with a pair of thongs, and last but not least my Hat

Oh did you mean fishing gear?

Quote Originally Posted by STIFFWORM View Post
    Hi chris . Lets get the ball rolling, my favourite outfit 4 mondy is a zillion 100ha matched 2 a egrell b85. I only use this 4 hardbods but it is my prefered weapon. Hope 2 get 2 use it again soon. Cheers Les
    Yes Les ..... I like my Zillion family too
    Sounds like a pretty good set up you have ........... when do you plan to head up next ....... hopefully before the Muster

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Are well mate I like a Foxies shirt pair of shorts and lucky undies, with a pair of thongs, and last but not least my Hat

Oh did you mean fishing gear?
    Everyone should own a Foxy shirt ........ & the rest of us could fit under the hat

have a geat Easter Nath

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Not that unmentionable Coffs lollie store - do you have anything in mind ?

Chris
    Yep, that's the one. Mate I have been in "playing" with a few reels.I like the feel of the Advantage Super tuned and the HRF, the Zillion feels to small in my hand, just me?

As far as spin goes, last trip I put a Raider2, 8 - 10 kg over a Twin Power 4000. the rod felt 2 stiff for plastics so I am gonna go back to the Snapper rod, Raider 5 - 8 kg, bit more in the tip.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Yep, that's the one. Mate I have been in "playing" with a few reels.I like the feel of the Advantage Super tuned and the HRF, the Zillion feels to small in my hand, just me?

As far as spin goes, last trip I put a Raider2, 8 - 10 kg over a Twin Power 4000. the rod felt 2 stiff for plastics so I am gonna go back to the Snapper rod, Raider 5 - 8 kg, bit more in the tip.

Pete.

Picking the right spin rod for barra is pretty hard ........ My Plueger President (8-10kg) is just too stiff & heavy .... like most other off the shelf 7ft ( 6-10kg) rods .... IMO
    The best I've seen so far is the Egrel S10 ( Its tippy enough without folding over + has the power to lead fish)
    The other problem that I found is that the butt section is too long in most heavier spin rods ......... great for spinning for pelagics..... but no so good for barra/

As for baitcast reels ...... you might be better off looking at the Shimano Calais / Curado ....... or even the ABU Revo inshore as they have bigger bodies than the Daiwas (low profile)

Well sounds like you have some options anyway

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Picking the right spin rod for barra is pretty hard ........ My Plueger President (8-10kg) is just too stiff & heavy .... like most other off the shelf 7ft ( 6-10kg) rods .... IMO
    The best I've seen so far is the Egrel S10 ( Its tippy enough without folding over + has the power to lead fish)
    The other problem that I found is that the butt section is too long in most heavier spin rods ......... great for spinning for pelagics..... but no so good for barra/

As for baitcast reels ...... you might be better off looking at the Shimano Calais / Curado ....... or even the ABU Revo inshore as they have bigger bodies than the Daiwas (low profile)

Well sounds like you have some options anyway

Chris
    True as Re: the rods. I have looked at the s10 but I just can't justify the spend, maybe when I move to QLD

Thanks for the tips on the Revo and the Curado, I have looked at both so it's gonna be a tough call, which ever way I go there is gonna be some $$ spent tomorrow.

Pete.

Chris or anyone else, what would you recommend for a good SP baitcast rod? Something suitable for lighter weighted slickrigs, hollow bellies and if possible even frogs? I am looking for something around the 7ft mark. I find it easier for longer casting sessions using a baitcaster than a spin reel.

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Chris or anyone else, what would you recommend for a good SP baitcast rod? Something suitable for lighter weighted slickrigs, hollow bellies and if possible even frogs? I am looking for something around the 7ft mark. I find it easier for longer casting sessions using a baitcaster than a spin reel.
    I have 3 rods that work for me ....... A Loomis BCR 855 GLX - 7ft 1" -( horrendously overpriced now - not worth it ) ..... this is my point casting rod - I can throw a slick rig through to a heavy 6" storm shad

Loomis SBR813 6'9" 12-20lb .... This is a nice rod that I can throw light weights on ..... plus is great for HBs ( glass / graphite blend)

The surprise packet is my new Samurai Reaction 451 ....... i bought this to throw topwater & frogs ...... Its only 6'5" but it outcasts both the loomis ...... A rod that you can throw all day (frogs , slickies or topwater) ............. I want another

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

My favourite at the moment is a Penn 750SS mounted on a 7ft Uglystik (see first pic in the Ord report). The reel was secondhand when I picked it up a few years ago, the rod is over 25 years old and had its third rebuild to suit the Penn.

Whilst heavy the combo is a particularly effective barra killer, the length gives good control around the rocky sections of river bank I fish and can cast a popper to the moon. The reel can put a metre of line on in one turn and has a proven drag.

Best of all is I can't break it (easily) so suits me down to the ground, I reckon I've got at least another decade of use out of it.