Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $300 to spend on an overhead reel

Re: $300 to spend on an overhead reel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
    Billfisher. I dared make mention of a couple of shortcomings of the Daiwa and one or two issues of the Shimanos (graphite frames breaking etc) yet I was branded a heretic for it and had my post "moderated". Be careful, some posters seem to have a brand allegence that wont die and like playing the man rather than the ball - much like children.

Some reels these days are not what they used to be, which might be more to do with where the cheapest place to make them is. I know I used to like all things Penn, nowadays you'd be lucky to get a "lower end" reel out of them that will last much longer than a few years.
    Actually I have all of the reels mentioned, ie the saltist, saltiga, trinidad and torium. It looks like it pays not to go over 15lbs of drag with these reels and ensure the drag is kept smooth. 15 lbs should be sufficient for up to 50lb line as it is a bit less than a third of the breaking strain (ie around the recommended drag).

I like the look of the Penn Torque. Alan Tani said the anti-reverse on these is pretty much bullet proof.

Hi
    For myself i have a tyrnos 16, bought the 20 for hubby.

Great reels at a good price. You may want to look at a 30 depending on what you are doing.

Compared to another overhead I had the 5:1 ratio is heaps better when you're in 90 metres of water..

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    For myself i have a tyrnos 16, bought the 20 for hubby.

Great reels at a good price. You may want to look at a 30 depending on what you are doing.

Compared to another overhead I had the 5:1 ratio is heaps better when you're in 90 metres of water..

Ronnie
    Or the 20, with the narrow spool it is easier to handle than the 30. I have 24 kg line on my 20 - mono top shot and braid backing. I use it for fishing for kingies in Botany Bay in my little Polycraft! A lever drag is handy for livebaiting as you can let them run with a little bit of drag to stop an overun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
    Billfisher.Jonny 1. Could I suggest browsing ebay to get a feel for what is around and in what price range as there are a number of Australian Retail shops around that also sell their wares on ebay (such as TLD 20/30's etc for around the $170 to $180 mark Brand New with the 10 year warranty included). All the best with your search.
    .I hope everyone here has a productive and Happy Easter
    Last edited by reggy; 10-04-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: apparently too controversial

reggy. Why is that an issue? There is nothing wrong with them. I have never said that they are not worth the money, only ever that anything (and I mean anything - it doesn't matter what brand) pushed too hard may break. I pointed out that I have seen a couple of grahite frames give up when pushed too hard, after reading other posters waxing lyrical about the virtues of the "indestructable" TLD range. What is the issue with that?

Have a good one.