Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beach camping from the boat - tips please!

Beach camping from the boat - tips please!

Hi all,

I'm living up in Weipa and have a trusty 4.55m Quintrex TopEnder that the missus and I are keen to go camping in, on a beach to the north or south.

I'm after some tips on what people do to avoid waking up and having the boat high and dry on the beach on an outgoing tide, and vice versa, what to do with the boat on an incoming tide (keeping in mind that there's the odd croc lurking about to keep you on your toes and make the task that much more difficult).

Lots of crew do it though, so I'm wondering if a few on AusFish could share their tips with me.

Cheers,
    Mick

Re: Beach camping from the boat - tips please!

Hi Mick,

Well a 4.55 isn't exactly huge so you'll have to plan carefully what you're taking along. Start with the critical stuff first - water, food, communication (radio, epirb, mobile) and then move on to secondary stuff like swags, shade, cooking utensils etc. I always imagine myself sitting in front of the camp looking around at everything. As I "see" things I write it down. Sounds silly but works!

Just keep an eye on the total weight because overloading the boat is pretty dangerous and the handling will go to shit. I'd suggest maybe going for 1 night only the first time.

As for anchoring the boat there are a few options.

1. Plan your trip to coincide with tides and let the boat bottom out overnight and get it early morning on the rising tide.
    2. Employ a endless loop system (see http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=146805) Unfortunately this takes some time to set up and might not work if the boat is very far out.
    3. Take along a small kayak. We did this and it worked brilliantly, and is also fun to just potter around the shallows.

Whatever you do, do not try to swim any great distance to retrieve the boat! Apart from the crocs it's very easy to underestimate the distance (and overestimate your ability) and get into trouble. This means the missus will go into a flat panic and try to help, getting her into trouble as well.

Remember the bug spray!

You want to camp on the beach in croc country? There are a couple of things you need:

1 - a Psychiatrist
    2 - strong medication!

Good luck, I wish I had your balls! I've seen Jurassic Park!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Thanks Lizard,

The endless loop system looks like it'd be worth a try!

Cheers,
    Mick

Thumbs up Re: Beach camping from the boat - tips please!

Hey Mick, I'm really surprised. Don't you think Tim has come up with a viable altenative.

Yeah OK fiscally restrictive.

Cheers

WoW

Can't croc's leap in to boats, well it laest push themselves up till there above the sides, All they have to do then is fall in.

Not for me either, as for the Kyak cruising the shallows no thanks.

Then again I have never seen a Croc in the wild up close, maybe there not as bad as I think they are.

quote=Roughasguts;997011]Can't croc's leap in to boats, well it laest push themselves up till there above the sides, All they have to do then is fall in.

Then again I have never seen a Croc in the wild up close, maybe there not as bad as I think they are.[/quote]

Yes they are! The only way for me would be to be in a tent erected on top of a roof rack on a large 4WD. That beats ending up as a midnight snack.

You guys are a bunch of pansies!

Yeah, pansies flower power is the go here, for me.You are on your own( LOL)
    David

Rally 28 Feb, Pics in news asection

Having seen the result of one croc attack at Weipa, I am very content to a pansy - and the most protected little flower in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughasguts View Post
    Crocs attacking kayaks are pretty rare - not sure if they don't see it as prey or whatever. Dangling bits of you anatomy in the water at night while pissed is another story. http://www.seakayakinstructor.com/bl...crocodile.html

Nice story there Lizard, I still ain't going in with me Kyak, the croc might think it's tasty being yum yum green. Thing I don't under stand is Crocs only eat around half a chook a week or something when there in captivity so how come they wan't to take out a cow or us for that matter.

Weird I like sharks, don't mind snakes and spiders I live with the wasps out the front, But I can't warm up to Crocs.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Good luck with the camp-out Mick. Sorry I cant offer any words of wisdom...

But hubby & I did the tourist thing in 07 & spent a week camping along the drive from Darwin to Broom in a week and never saw a bloody croc. Was pissed off really! lol

Run it up the beach at half tide - let the tide go out - unpack the boat set up camp have ten beerz - watch the tide come in - go fishin.

Either that or teach her indoors to shoot, have her and the rifle climb a tree and cover your arse while you swim back in after setting the boat up at anchor below the low water mark. P.S. don't anchor in the same place twice or after you've cleaned the day's catch.

Good luck big nuts