Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beach camping from the boat - tips please!

Re: Beach camping from the boat - tips please!

Mick,

There are some great spots south of Weipa; eg Norman ck and False Pera. If you can make the endless loop system work, then that would be the safest. Or just time it with the tides.

Post up a report / pics once you've been. It is 10 years since I have been to Norman / Pera, but hope to get back later this year.

Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by surftravel View Post
    You guys are a bunch of pansies!
    Rather b a pansy than crock bait
    post a report if u come back...........er I mean when u come back
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Duyvken Pt is nice - rode there once on a quad bike from weipa.

hi mate,
    the missus and i used to do this all the time, we lived at bamaga for a few years, the west coast of the cape is awesome,
    i have a 4.1meter tinney, 40hp honda.
    our favourite spot was coteril (?sp) river it is a bit far north but if you want an expedition, it is great, camp on the sand dune at the mouth, rock bar out the front of camp for good beach fishing, reef out the front and all the jacks you can handle in the creek system.
    another spot north of you is the jackson river, probably one of the most pretty rivers on the west coast, turns from salt to fresh a couple of mile up the river
    we used to do 30-50 mile trips down the west coast often.
    i bought those nally tubs with lids, not the cheap ones as they crack etc, 4 of them would hold all out gear, 48l and 60l evacool, 3 cartons of piss, 25l drum of water, we were pretty compact and comfortable, even showered every night with water from the esky's and last day chill last carton and shorten everything into 48l eva cool. you will get wet in the short chop
    don't worry too much about croc's, just be sensible, if you don't give them the opportunity you will be right, they will be more interested in getting out of your way
    for anchoring i got an "anchor mate" it is like a bungie cord, and worth its weight in gold, they are on the net. throw front anchor out with anchor mate, drive into beach, tie stern rope on, boat will spring back out into deep water, tie off stern rope to something or anchor on beach
    you are living in paradise, have fun ya lucky bugger
    cheers
    dazza
    ps, might be up to weipa next year for a few days with work, will take you to the jackson

Hi all,

I just found this thread from years ago ... sorry I bailed and never got back with a report, but here it is - better late than never!

The wife and I and our two mutts had the most EPIC three-night camping trip down the coast from Weipa!

The crocs never bothered us and we sussed the anchoring system.

We're doing another trip soon, as this is the best time of year for it weather-wise.

Cheers all!

Just did a trip around Australia. Towed a 4.85 Top ender used an "anchor buddy at all the spots we beach camped and it worked perfectly.

Check out the videos on Youtube.

http://www.sandspikeaustralia.com.au/anchor-buddy

I've been doing this on and off for a while now. What I do is walk inland about 100m, so that crocs can't see you from the bank Lol. Set up camp, also where theres plenty of fire wood. Light a big farcoff fire, don't drink grog, sleep with a knife. sweet dreams.