Thread: Offshore pics from the past

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Offshore pics from the past

Offshore reports are a bit scarce at the moment due to the wether. Thought I'd post some unpublished pics of past catches to keep you all keen.

The pic of all the snapper was taken on the wharf in 2001 at Scarborough when the bag limit was 30 per person. The charter skipper pulled the plug at 11am and returned with his 800litre esky full. The fish in the pic (2 to 4kg class) were less than half of what was caught in the 3 hour session by 10 anglers (the rest were still being unloaded). We can understand why the bag limit was reduced to 5 in 2003. If Fisheries introduced the reduction to the snapper bag limit years earlier we may not have the present sustainability problem.

I have included a close up of a 6kg red bass and a 8kg mangrove jack to aid in identifying the difference between the two species. The red bass has the pit or furrow running foward from each eye whereas the jack doesn't have this. Also the red bass has white markings on each scale whereas jacks have grey markings on each scale.

The other pics taken on a old camera are a selection of my catches over the past including some competition winners.

Cheers
    Barry

Re: Offshore pics from the past

Reds and hussar in Brissy too? I'm fishing the wrong spots Barry.I know they aren't unknown down here, but was that a common ratio to catch them in while snapper fishing or were they targetted?
    Not trying to find out the ins and outs here.........

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Reds and hussar in Brissy too? I'm fishing the wrong spots Barry.I know they aren't unknown down here, but was that a common ratio to catch them in while snapper fishing or were they targetted?
    Not trying to find out the ins and outs here.........
    GBC,

The shot with the reds, hussar, goldband snapper and snapper was from a trip in September off Double Island two years ago. The reefies were targeted and while moving from one spot to the next we came across a huge inverted triangular shape of baitfish on the sounder with what looked like large fish on the bottom underneath and on the edge of the baitfish.

Two drifts over the mark produced the snapper and goldband snapper in the pic. We lost a few including one very large snapper which I managed to get to the surface only to see it snap my 7/0 hook in half and glide back down before the deckie could get the net under it.

Cheers
    Barry

Beauty Baz....nothin like a few pics to get the juices flowing. I'm off to Yamba tomorrow for 10 days of nothing but fishing and fishing. Weather looks average until mid week so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the pics

dave

Cheers for the pics Barry, definately does the job.

Wal

thanks to those who changed those regs

its hard fishing now

justin

Yeah good o n ya Barry, thanks for reminding us all what we're missing out on! N ow if the weather will finally clear for long enough now I've got a bit of time up my sleeve, we might actually get out and wreack some havoc of our own to add to the gallery of nasty photies! I 'spose it give some time to do some well needed trailer maintainence and stuff - thanks Wags!!!

Cheers mate

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by revs57 View Post
    Yeah good o n ya Barry, thanks for reminding us all what we're missing out on! N ow if the weather will finally clear for long enough now I've got a bit of time up my sleeve, we might actually get out and wreack some havoc of our own to add to the gallery of nasty photies! I 'spose it give some time to do some well needed trailer maintainence and stuff - thanks Wags!!!

Cheers mate

Rhys
    Anything to help a fellow angler out.