Thread: Hollow Bellys

Question Hollow Bellys

I'm just wondering whether anyone can report on the effectiveness (or otherwise) of Hollow Belly Swim Baits or Split Tails on species other than barra? I keep meaning to do more barra fishing but I always seem to wind up chasing JPs/sooties or heading offshore!

Re: Hollow Bellys

Hi Nic

A bloke I know of does really well on Jewies using the 6" HBs.

I've had some success on bream using the tiny ones ........ but realistically I couldn't justify the cost as you could go through a $11 pack in just a few minutes.......... & that is the problem - otherwise I reckon just about any fish that takes a plastic will fall to a hollowbelly

I'm going to try a 4" rigged weedless on jacks ....... first chance I get

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

they knock the flathead around

iv caught 2 bream on the smaller split tail ones
    figjam :wink:

Thanks for the info guys, am heading offshore this w'end so might give one a try and see what happens!

I've caught Jacks and had a ripper session on Diamond Trevs in the estuary on them as well.

I saw a clip somewhere (utube I think) and tried it out with great success:
    Insert a worm hook- I like Gamakatsu WX range or even Owner model 5139, rigged so the hook point is jsut inside the HB, make a small split in the belly, fill with the smallest polystyrene beads you can get your hands on (craft shop) and superglue the slit shut.
    You can now work the HB through just about anything and it'll pop back to the surface. Great for working weedy flats with big flatties lurking in the shadows, surface feeding bass and barra. Wont snag on weed and twitches like a dream!
    Have n't tried it offshore but don't like your chances as it aint exactly heavy- maybe with the wind behind you...
    Good luck!

I use the 4" swimbaits in AYU colour for jew with very good success. Also work well as a sleeper on a windy day when you are countering the current a bit, keeps that large paddletail throbbing away.
    Jack.

I used em for one session and got no hits, then I changed to squidgy pros and got flattys immediately. I'll give em another go tho, they look alright. I musta picked the wrong color.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.