Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing

Re: Crabbing

Hi Megella,
    I wouldn't mind imported pots if the consumers were told that in most tidal areas they need to add weight, check the length & thickness of rope & said on the label an expected life span, + the consumer was told that by Australian standards of Galvanizing imported pots are only Zinc and rusting will occur. I totally understand that not everyone can afford what we make & imported pots are an entry level design. Having said this we all have to be conscious of the Resource & Environmental needs for sustainability, and have a lot of good times in the future.

To all the people who responded to the Crab Club, Thanks
    Lets not talk about it, lets do it, ANYONE GOT A NAME?

Quote Originally Posted by trapem View Post
    To all the people who responded to the Crab Club, Thanks
    Lets not talk about it, lets do it, ANYONE GOT A NAME?
    Crabbers Collective

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by trapem View Post
    Hi Megella,
    I wouldn't mind imported pots if the consumers were told that in most tidal areas they need to add weight, check the length & thickness of rope & said on the label an expected life span, + the consumer was told that by Australian standards of Galvanizing imported pots are only Zinc and rusting will occur. I totally understand that not everyone can afford what we make & imported pots are an entry level design. Having said this we all have to be conscious of the Resource & Environmental needs for sustainability, and have a lot of good times in the future.
    just bought 4 to try for sandies,son has had 8 for 5yrs now chasing muddies regularly(no problems plenty of crabs and 5+yrs left .most liklely some share farmer will steal them before they wear out or DPI will change regs and they'll be illegal like my witches caps how long do we want them to last?Maybe we talking different imports round ? very happy with mine wash down with fresh water after use ,had some square ones $7.50 worked fine but opening? now too big cant be bothered with zipp ties(think DPI has ammended , but bought rounds for $12.50) cant see a problem but will post if I do .Im now confused Cheers Alex

wtf was that thing at the end of the vid?????????????//

vid looks the goods by the way

trapem, good mate of mine (pro crabber) uses some of your pots, and rates them well!!!!!!!

to compete with the import shit, could you use say a finer gauge mesh, no rubbing ropes, thinner rings (galvanised properly!) to get a more entry level pot for the ameture market?

coucums are doing one for bcf, which are sold at top dollar (what a pro would pay for a good pot) i reakon you could do a shit load better.

just thoughts

cheers

lippa

If you were to put some lovey dovey environmental care factor into the name, you might get some funding. Or at least an ear.

Quote Originally Posted by ssab1 View Post
    just bought 4 to try for sandies,son has had 8 for 5yrs now chasing muddies regularly(no problems plenty of crabs and 5+yrs left .most liklely some share farmer will steal them before they wear out or DPI will change regs and they'll be illegal like my witches caps how long do we want them to last?Maybe we talking different imports round ? very happy with mine wash down with fresh water after use ,had some square ones $7.50 worked fine but opening? now too big cant be bothered with zipp ties(think DPI has ammended , but bought rounds for $12.50) cant see a problem but will post if I do .Im now confused Cheers Alex
    I had 8 pots out a few weeks back. Not a huge tide by any means, but it was not small either. I have 4 of Mikes pots (crab'n'gear) and 4 cheapies from BCF. All placed in similar spots, all with 6mm rope, the 4 from crab'n'gear had double floats (a variant of mikes double setup), the 4 cheapies had single floats.

All of mikes pots stayed put, the 4 cheapies moved a good 10-20 metres. Now I dont crab in the real big tides cause I know my pots get washed away, but this was not a real huge tide.

So its not always about them lasting, its about them staying put. I am sick of seeing deralict pots. Most of them are the cheap imported ones, and I reckon most people will claim they are stolen when in fact they are lost. One cannot forget, that a lost pot continues to fish, long after the owner has forgoten about it. Does not matter if you buy them of mike or not, but at least buy a decent pot that will stay put. And when you buy a pot and rig it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I had 8 pots out a few weeks back. Not a huge tide by any means, but it was not small either. I have 4 of Mikes pots (crab'n'gear) and 4 cheapies from BCF. All placed in similar spots, all with 6mm rope, the 4 from crab'n'gear had double floats (a variant of mikes double setup), the 4 cheapies had single floats.

All of mikes pots stayed put, the 4 cheapies moved a good 10-20 metres. Now I dont crab in the real big tides cause I know my pots get washed away, but this was not a real huge tide.

So its not always about them lasting, its about them staying put. I am sick of seeing deralict pots. Most of them are the cheap imported ones, and I reckon most people will claim they are stolen when in fact they are lost. One cannot forget, that a lost pot continues to fish, long after the owner has forgoten about it. Does not matter if you buy them of mike or not, but at least buy a decent pot that will stay put. And when you buy a pot and rig it correctly.
    g'day
    i also have 4 of mikes pots and also 8 from bcf...i have never had a pot drift on me.....if the pots are riged rite with enough rope on them they should hold bottom...example if i am crabbin in 6.5 mtrs of water i use bout 18 mtrs of rope...i have found that if you want your pots not to drift tripple the depth and thats the amount of rope you need.....have 2 pro crabbers in the family and they all do this as a rule of thumb......hope this info helps.....cheers rosco

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    g'day
    i also have 4 of mikes pots and also 8 from bcf...i have never had a pot drift on me.....if the pots are riged rite with enough rope on them they should hold bottom...example if i am crabbin in 6.5 mtrs of water i use bout 18 mtrs of rope...i have found that if you want your pots not to drift tripple the depth and thats the amount of rope you need.....have 2 pro crabbers in the family and they all do this as a rule of thumb......hope this info helps.....cheers rosco
    I was in 2 metres of water with 6m ropes... The pots simply did not have enough weight in them. I normally do not crab in the tides with massive flows or if I do I am constantly running up and down the creeks to check them.

Hi Lippa, i think that red thing at the end of the video is Thalassina Anomala, common name mud lobster.

I find one every now and then when i am digging blood worms, here is a photo. cheers wayne

sound like a good idea.

maybe a monthly meeting with an expert speaker and a feed of crab .

how about the "QLD crab grabbers assn"

or the " aquatic aracnid aquasition assotiation"

or the " sustainable crabbing assn"

or "QLD sea floor crustation habitat biodiversity, sustainability and enviroment assn" ( is that green enough)

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Serously though.
    There are quite a few of us that would like to "band together" to learn more about crabs (and other parambulatory crustations {shelfish with legs}).

There is a real posibility that "government" would listen to a "peak crabbing body" regarding regulations and other issues.

On the subject of chep imported pots.........if these werent arround nobody would know how good the crabbin' gear pots were .

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Crabby old bastards????

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I was in 2 metres of water with 6m ropes... The pots simply did not have enough weight in them. I normally do not crab in the tides with massive flows or if I do I am constantly running up and down the creeks to check them.
    2 metres(low or high) crab double that in the Logan in some holes(8metres) never had a floater, similar at the pin ,you have to be talking different pots got my a %*F similar to those my son uses(crabbed alot with him before I said enough to all those flying teeth ,get a feed (muddies)off him for the use of my boat will be targeting sandies with mine. I Am interested in a crabbing only forum lets see what pans out. Cheers Alex