Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boat stolen,

Re: boat stolen,

At least with my tub, if they nick the boat and don't have sensa brakes, it might beat them down the hill...

The Coppers suggest the chance of recovering said rockbreaker is zero. I agree. There are so many of this type out there, how do you tell which is which?

Now, back to the boats!

If your boat is nicked from a Dealer's yard, will his insurance buy you a new one, or an equivalent second hand? And who gets to decide what boat is the right one? Scary stuff.

Obviously the penalties for receiving stolen goods are not high enough. Society is growing soft on crooks, and so we get more crime. Soon they will be allowedto walk into your house with a shopping list and a theft license, and tell you what they want...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Tim, see there were a couple of blokes on the news last night (radio I think). They got nicked for stealing boats in NSW and because of loop holes in rego here in QLD they were able to re-register the boats and sell them through the Auctions.

They got caught when a prospective customer did a check because there were some anomalies with the Rego information. Apparently, they would hire a 4wd, go for a drive around the Burbs and one of them had some knowledge on boats. They would see the one they wanted, hook up and off they go....

Apparently they pocketed over 100K in profit from stealing the boats. Hopefully this will open up a bigger can, once the detectives get through with them...
    Fillet and Release Squad

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post

The Coppers suggest the chance of recovering said rockbreaker is zero. I agree. There are so many of this type out there, how do you tell which is which?

Obviously the penalties for receiving stolen goods are not high enough. Society is growing soft on crooks, and so we get more crime. Soon they will be allowedto walk into your house with a shopping list and a theft license, and tell you what they want...

Cheers,

Tim
    Well have I got a story or two for you Timi my boy.

1st story happened in 1995 or 6 when I wired up the cinema's in Warwick.
    My new hammer battery drill got pinched. Pretty keen I thought as it was a locked site and the drill was in one spot and the charger and spare battery elsewhere.
    Anyways this fella asks me to bung power on his block and I really did not want to do the job so I doubled the usual fee.
    Bugger me he wanted it done so I did it but he did not pay. Double bugger I thought.
    Anyways a few trips later he said he'd have the money Saturday morning.
    Now knowing he likes a beer i thought he'd either be home or in a gutter somewhere so I go Saturday morning early...4.30 early.
    I walk past his car which had the boot open (to get a slab of happiness out I presume) and, bugger me again, I see my battery drill.
    I looked and my initials were up the butt.
    So I leave and go and see Mr Copper.
    Beauty was their remarks as they've wanted this clown and unable to pin anything on him.
    Long story short they ask if I want to go for the bust.
    I ask can I go first as he owes me money. No worries.
    I go but he hasn't the money. He goes and gets my money and as i drive out the coppers come in. Beauty
    I did not get my drill until after the trial though

2nd story. I like my little toys so when I saw a lazer level at the Beenleigh markets I brought it as I wanted it and the bloke looked like a genuine guy getting out of the game.
    I've had it 18 months or so and my earth mover mate sees it and comments on it.
    He asks how much I paid and fell over. It was worth $14,000 roughly.
    $hit I said.
    Worried it was stolen I rang Mr Copper. Yep, it was stolen
    I lost my money and no hope of finding the guy.
    To make it worse the copper said the people have probably claimed insurance and get their gear back...and keep it...not give it to the insurance company.
    ....and I'm left dry and broker but with a good conscience.
    I asked the copper how many people ask about stuff like that and that was the first time for him at that station. 3 years he's been there
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Iceknight:

can you post a photo so we can promote it in our radio room.. Redcliffe CG has 0600 - 2100 M -Thur & 24/7 Fri - Sun watch hours over the airwaves & boat ramp... You never know what might turn up in the months ahead

Sounds like we need to have a "Wanted Board" in our tower

Peter

Tim (and anybody who has the same problem),

I have equipment, trucks and tools we have no choice but to leave on site as well, and had a couple of theft incidents last year.

Solved the problem though.

At least I can now see who is nicking my stuff, as it happens, anytime day or night.
    No matter where.
    Give me a call and I'll explain. Didn't break my bank either.

Cheers

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Not a thing. Relatively exposed - Councils have made it virtually impossible to park safely without buying a depot block and fencing it electrically. I don't have that sort of capital.

So much for Governments supporting small business...

Sadly,

Tim
    Sorry to hear the scum are about.

We weld ,stamp and also die grind "assett" abn now and previously drivers lic numbers onto all equipment in several places as a slight discouragement. Have recovered 2 bits of equipment over the years as it went through auctions and my staff noticed grind marks on photos but the stupid blokes thought the stamped numbers were a serial or model number and actually put it in the add for sale. Yeah I got screwed on insurance and bloke was charged with posession of stolen goods but he had bought them at full price in good faith via a dealer who had closed - hmmmmmmm.

There is self contained infa red cameras that have a sim card in them and when the image pixels change it dials your mobile as an alarm. Not to expensive now and similar to the hunting aanimal cameras . We ended up taking portable security fencing to a lot of jobs to make a yad to discourage vandals but when someone shows up with a hiab you need to see the alarm straight away and get down there. We used to spend more time loading and unloading than working sometimes as at some sites just wouldn't leave gear and generally that was because of the other site workers or their mates pilfering.

Cameras are good at the campsite as well or on moored boats as they work anywhere there is mobile reception- can't believe the number of times we have caught blikes snooping, fishing off the back of our larger moored craft or even coming aboard to eat lunch. 2 blokes even overnighted on the back deck.

Just what part of private property don't people get!!

Hope they get hurt as the legal system doesn't seem to discourage them.

Mac1952 can you PM me with the details a I just looked at the website where I bought my last chineese one from and they no longer have them?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    And some think I am paranoid - with these sorts of things going on it's no wonder I have the trailer lock on the tow hitch, another cable lock through the spoked wheel, and a new wireless trailer alarm fitted recently that chirps at 103 db when it detects movement or vibration.

I hope they leave me alone now!!!

Scalem
    bloody hell Brian..it must take you an hour to get all the security off the boat