Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the best knots for 80-100lb leader? and best rigs for bottom bashing?

Re: What are the best knots for 80-100lb leader? and best rigs for bottom bashing?

Hey Todd, I'm not an expert at knots but I have been using the uni knot for braid and mono leader up to 100lb and when I get snagged, the swivel breaks before the knot which tells me the knot is pretty good. When tying braid straight to mono leader I use the double uni knot but I double the braid over to increase the thickness. The uni knot is easy and quick to tie on land and at sea. With rigs I generally have a different rig setup on each rod so I can swap rods at anytime on the spot. This is not always possible if you only have a couple of rods but it certainly decreases lost opportunities when you need to fish a certain way fast. The main rigs I setup are a paternoster rig, 2 hook snell rig with a running bean sinker (weight depends on current and depth I want to fish), soft plastics rig with various weighted jigheads, a light rig with raider slug for spinning / jigging, couple of overheads for trolling lures and live baits, also 2 cheapie rigs with bait jigs. This setup covers most the styles of offshore fishing we do. I also have jewelry bags filled with pre-made rigs of differing styles. These include live bait rigs with and without wire trace, 3 hook gangs, 2 hook snelled rigs and a couple of spare paternoster rigs. I hate rigging at sea when the bite is hot.

Dave

Re: What are the best knots for 80-100lb leader? and best rigs for bottom bashing?

i agree with the pr and FG knot
    they are both very good knots

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wilcara View Post
    Have you tried crimping some rigs? Its my new hobby!
    Been seriously looking at that myself..plenty of good pommy sites with info and accessories. The poms seem ta have it down to a fine art.

Darren

Would you like to pm me a link ot two? I have not seen anything outside of the Pakula site re crimping up some rigs and I have a lot of queries. Pakulas are mainly marlin rigs too so big stuff, I want to do some for sbt and mako.

The stuff I've seen is mainly about bottom fishing for both boat and shore based.Will send some links.

Darren