Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stradic 8000FI vs Saragosa 8000F

Stradic 8000FI vs Saragosa 8000F

Hey everyone,

I’ve narrowed it down to these reels, stuck in deciding between these two as a replacement for my Penn 850. Only 3g difference in weight, .5 difference in retrieve ratio, both have 6 bearings and both come in just under $300. Will be primarily used for spinning from the stones, casting poppers and jigging offshore for species such as Mackerel, Tuna, GTs and everything in between on a variety of different rods, for anyone wondering. I know a few people on here have or have had experience with these reels so any good or bad points on either would be greatly appreciated and opinions very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Stradic 8000FI vs Saragosa 8000F

Never used a stradic so can't comment on that one. but am a very happy owner of a saragosa (5000F). Very smooth, strong reel without going upto a stella. Plenty of drag (12kg in the 5000, usable that is).

One thing I will mention though is not long ago (australia Day Weekend) we got onto a patch of big GT's (smallest we caught was about 15kg) on poppers, what and adrenalin rush, we were taking turns with a mates 8000F Saragosa, as it was the only heavy spinning combo we had on board, and after several big fish upto 20-25kg, we had smoked the reel. We were only running 30lb braid through it so about 5kg of drag. We couldn't feel any difference during while the reel was in use, but at the end of the day we had bent the spool, rotor and handle, so you could physically wobble them from side to side. But with shimano's 10 year warranty it was replaced no drama's. Don't know how a stradic would go in that situation though, the Saragosa is supposed to be higher on the tree than the stradic. Shimano seems to think it was just a bad unit off the production line, they took the line of 'it shouldn't have done that, its supposed to be a step down from the stella'

i would go the saragosa as i have both and my stradics drag is ordinary . Just had the drag done with erskines but haven't picked it up yet . it is common with the stradic from what iv'e been told . Don't know if the newer model has been rectified .
    Craig

Definitely the Saragossa for the type of fishing you are planing for it

mate, what is the problem with the penn.
    jerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Never used a stradic so can't comment on that one. but am a very happy owner of a saragosa (5000F). Very smooth, strong reel without going upto a stella. Plenty of drag (12kg in the 5000, usable that is).

One thing I will mention though is not long ago (australia Day Weekend) we got onto a patch of big GT's (smallest we caught was about 15kg) on poppers, what and adrenalin rush, we were taking turns with a mates 8000F Saragosa, as it was the only heavy spinning combo we had on board, and after several big fish upto 20-25kg, we had smoked the reel. We were only running 30lb braid through it so about 5kg of drag. We couldn't feel any difference during while the reel was in use, but at the end of the day we had bent the spool, rotor and handle, so you could physically wobble them from side to side. But with shimano's 10 year warranty it was replaced no drama's. Don't know how a stradic would go in that situation though, the Saragosa is supposed to be higher on the tree than the stradic. Shimano seems to think it was just a bad unit off the production line, they took the line of 'it shouldn't have done that, its supposed to be a step down from the stella'
    Cheers Scott. Sounds like a great sesh! That's the first bad thing I've heard on the Saragosa.

Quote Originally Posted by hercules View Post
    i would go the saragosa as i have both and my stradics drag is ordinary . Just had the drag done with erskines but haven't picked it up yet . it is common with the stradic from what iv'e been told . Don't know if the newer model has been rectified .
    Craig
    Yep, I've heard of the new Stradics having sticky drags straight out of the box. I've also heard that this is easily fixed by removing access grease from the washers? Let me know how they go when you get em back.

Quote Originally Posted by jerson View Post
    mate, what is the problem with the penn.
    jerson.
    It seems that after just about every trip I'm getting it repaired for either the drag or anti-reverse. Also I think with the reels of today I will find them more comfortable to use being smoother and lighter.

Cheers

I plan on running 30lb braid but fishing it to the max, 6-8kgs of drag. Smooth and strong drag is essential. I don't think I will be disappointed with either.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone have anything to add on either of the reels mentioned above since last post?

mate retrieve rate the stradic is 107cm to saragosa 91cm so abit slower i have owned a saragosa and was very happy with it but i have a sustain know and thats a heap better very similer to the stradic, found for repeted casts the sustain layed the line better with less twists and havnt had any probs with the drag. i flog all my tackle so i can say both have taken a beating and still work fine but i always look at buy what i want then 2 months down the track i'm not looking at other things thinking i wish i bought that. just my thoughts
    have a good one
    casey

I have a Penn 850ss spooled with 30lb braid and found it poor for casting due to inadiquate line lay so I can see why you are upgrading (everything else with the Penn is very good though for the $$ ) I looked at a number of reels but ended up goping for the Saragosa, although in the 14000 size. It will be used for jigging and off the rocks spinning. I went this way as you will see alot more Saragosas and beefed up Spheros reels in the hands of LBG boys for serious sized fish than the Stradics which I think are better suited to spinning for small to medium sized fish.
    Eat well, drink in moderation, exercise often and yet you still die anyway!

I've heard of a Saragosa being smoked as well during a session on some very big GT's and spanish, but seriously, what reels wouldn't these fish do this to?
    The same thing happened, he sent it to shimano, they repaired it and made up an excuse and now he's laughing.
    In saying that the amount of horror stories I've heard about stradics sh!tting themselves on relatively small fish (5-10kg longtails and kingfish) definately deters me from them.
    My next heavy spin reel will be a Saragosa. My spheros is fantastic at the moment but it gets very heavy with repeated casting. Its spooled with 50lb tuffline and goes like the duckznutz.

What about an Emblem Pro. Not sure of how it would go jigging but they are a top reel for heavy spinning. My old stradic has $hit itself bait jigging, not keen on them now although it wasnt the new model. Never used a Saragosa so cant comment.

DF, IMO the Emblem pro is definitely a 'no no' for jigging, a top reel though for 10-15kg spinning, the new Stradics are not HD reels but good allrounders with bait, SP's and Lures. The Saragosa or the New Twinpower and Catalina [not counting Stellas or Saltigas]are ones that will handle a lot of use in Jigging or Popping, its not just the fighting ability of the reel but the constant winding under load that wares them out.

Thanks guys. If I was strictly spinning I would probably lean more towards the Stradic or Emblem Pro like a lot of others have suggested but since it's going to be a more all round type of reel I'm now deciding between the Saragosa 8000F or Catalina 4500, or maybe the 4500H? Bit of difference in price so I'd like to hear everyones thoughts.

Thanks again.

I didnt mention the Catalina because it was over your budget but if you have the choice between a Saragosa or a Catalina it has to be the Catalina. No brainer that one. If mine ever dies i will be ordering another one thats for sure. Have a read of what Alan Hawk thinks of them. Sorry if i offend anyone with a Saragosa but they are worlds apart but so is the price. Only thing to consider is the size of the catalina compared to a Saragosa, it might be a bit smaller and have less line capacity but there is now a 6500 size available.

Somehow like a magpie i have ended up with some of these reels,

Have the Emblem Pro,,, top spinner but its not a rugged reel at all and I wouldnt use it as an allrounder, more just spinning

Have the Saragosa 18000 with 80lb braid,,,great reel but a bit big for everyday use, so I got an allrounder i the middle

Looked at a smaller Saragosa but ended up buying the Catalina 4500 and loaded it with 40lb braid,, only just got it so havent used it yet but from its construction it seems its in a different league to the Saragosa, just seems more solid than the Saragosa... will find out on a charter in next couple of weeks....
    Tangles KFC