Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use a camp oven for a roast

Re: How to use a camp oven for a roast

If you place the roast on a cake rack, you won't burn the bottom as easy as placing it directly on to the bottom of the camp oven. I use the cake rack and pour some water/wine into the bottom of the camp oven to stop the roast drying out to much. Makes the roast nice and moist, and the meat just falls of the bone, and melts in your mouth.

the worst thing you did Stuart was waste 2 cups of red wine.
    I read your post to the other half and all she could say was.."only Stuart could do that" LOL
    BUT...you did have a go..more than I have done with those cast iron thingys

I love my camp oven roasts . Last year I fed 18 for a full sit down meal of chicken and roast pork at Woody Heads .
    I tend to put more heat on top rather than on the base as its easier to guage the heat. With chicken I put a cup or two of water from the twenty minute mark and beef or lamb I add fluid (wine, stock or water) after an hour unless doing the veggies in it as well. When doing pork I get everything hot for about 20mins then drop the heat until the end. Then I give it a burst checking the crackling regularly
    I prefer to do the hard root veggies separatly in their own oven with a splash of oil and perhaps a few cloves of garlic.
    Veggies like beans, brussel sprouts, zucchini and squash can be seasoned and double wrapped in foil with a few knobs of butter and dropped on some coals for 20 mins or so
    I tend to use a packet gravy but you can easily make it out of the oven residue.
    I use a trivet or cake rack for the roasts and bare oven for the veg

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Pinhead

Isn’t wine just a glorified vinegar which is really only good for cooking, give me a rum or bear any day mate and not that cat piss you drink.

Stu

As others have said, you just had miles to much heat over too long a period.

Have a fire to one side and take the coals as needed for under and on top of the oven. And in this case, the spit roast too

Im going to try it next weekend, will give the good or bad news.

stu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I placed the pot onto the fire and through a heap on top and let it go. I kept re stocking it with those bricks and more timber for around 4 hours,
    NO FIRE Coals only and you don't need many. Use the fire to preheat the camp oven only then dig a hole put a couple of shovels of hot coals in it then put the camp oven in and a shovel of coals on the top and it will be adequate to cook a roast.

My one and only experience mirrors Stu and have never had another go, maybe I'll pull the oven out and give it another burl

Cheers for the encouragements here

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    NO FIRE Coals only and you don't need many. Use the fire to preheat the camp oven only then dig a hole put a couple of shovels of hot coals in it then put the camp oven in and a shovel of coals on the top and it will be adequate to cook a roast.
    I am going to have to disagree with you here, check out the folowing pic. If you cant quite see it, those are rivers of water flowing in the sand around the fire ring. We kept that fire going, and we got the roast (lamb) cooked! Was the best roast I ever had.

And there is camp oven in there!

BTW, my other photo looks like camp oven is in the fire, but the fire is actually next to it. We normally shovel the fire and all coals over to one side, but things can get a bit tight in the fire rings. In a fire ring you roast is normally done in 1.5 - 2 hours.

hi stu check out dereks bullocks site cocia..its a great site with heaps of recipes etc and a great bunch of people that will bend over backwards to help im a member of that site cheers warren

We used to cook with camp ovens on the gas stove when other avenues were not available, very low flame, somewhere safe then go do something for a few hours, it can also make a grouse feed even on the stove at home, as versatile as your imagination.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you here, check out the folowing pic. If you cant quite see it, those are rivers of water flowing in the sand around the fire ring. We kept that fire going, and we got the roast (lamb) cooked! Was the best roast I ever had.

And there is camp oven in there!

BTW, my other photo looks like camp oven is in the fire, but the fire is actually next to it. We normally shovel the fire and all coals over to one side, but things can get a bit tight in the fire rings. In a fire ring you roast is normally done in 1.5 - 2 hours.
    Andy you are correct but the poster was a first time camp oven cooker and if you have any fire you have to be watching it continuously and keep turning the oven as hot spots develop rapidly.
    We just use coals chuck them in the hole and on top and go and do something else and just come back when it't time to throw the veges in.
    Much much easier to start off with coals

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    We used to cook with camp ovens on the gas stove when other avenues were not available, very low flame, somewhere safe then go do something for a few hours, it can also make a grouse feed even on the stove at home, as versatile as your imagination.

cheers fnq
    I used to use my trangia as an oven when hiking. thought I had some pics of damper and scones cooked in it but cant find them. Not sure if its possible with camp ovens, but I reckon using a small camp oven inside a big camp oven would work a treat. I have seen sheet metal devices used for camp oven cooking on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Andy you are correct but the poster was a first time camp oven cooker and if you have any fire you have to be watching it continuously and keep turning the oven as hot spots develop rapidly.
    We just use coals chuck them in the hole and on top and go and do something else and just come back when it't time to throw the veges in.
    Much much easier to start off with coals
    In fire rings one thing we do is turn the camp oven frequently as you say. That second photo was just to show that you can cook a good feed in a camp oven anytime!

hi stuart,
    don't disregard the beads, once you work it out i recon they are better than wood, heat is alot more consistant and predictable, different wood burns at very different temperatures, in my small oven i use 20 heatbeads and on my bigger bedourie oven i use about 25, have to let them all get alight and die down a bit, look for the uniform white colour
    i have a few camp oven books (has derek published his yet??) the one i like is reg and jack absolom "outback cooking in the camp oven" ISBN 0 86788281 6. is a ripper don't know if it is still around, first published in 1992, last reprint was 2001
    everything from galah soup to kangaroo roast
    well worth a read, few good pictures of how they do it
    cheers
    dazza

Hi
    Great reading, we use half a keg with our camp oven. Does a great job of cooking roasts while your out fishing. The half a keg has a bit of mesh in the bottom, we place 14 to 16 (going off memory here, its been a few years) heat beads in and get them going. Next put the roast in on a cake rack to stop it sticking to the bottom with some oil. The camp oven sits snug in the cooker with some holes for ventilation and thats it. You go fishing, the roast cooks, the heat beads burn out, turns the heat off and you come back to dinner cooked, reheat and throw some vegies in if you want and while everyone is sitting there wondering how you can fish all day and still be eating roast dinner your tucking in.

Mark