Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPD Boating Access

NPD Boating Access

The big question on my mind is whether this splash of rain will be enough to get us over the 50% mark at Lake Samsonvale and allow us to reactivate boating access?

Re: NPD Boating Access

Shayne, Hearing the water washing my fish traps and holding pen away in Cedar Creek last night, I decided to take a look at the other rivers and creeks in the area. Hoping they would have the same amount water flowing in them as Cedar Creek.
    Lake now has reached just past the Cemetery. Found what looked like a turtle laying eggs in the grass paddock below the cemetery. Can some one confirm this is what it is doing.
    Kobble Creek was flowing but nut as much as I thought it would be, it would have been at the highest when I took the photos about an hour ago.
    North Pine flowing well, again not as much as I thought would have been running, it looked like it had been about 700mm higher at one stage, on a ten metre river that's quiet a bit of water
    Rushes Creek, Terrors and Sugar Mill Creeks at Dayboro all had large flows, Terrors Creek look like it had been 2 metres higher.
    All the small southern creeks crossing Mount Samson Rd all had good flows. But I don't think it will be enough, maybe bring the dam up about 2%.

Here is some more

With more good rain predicted for Sunday & Monday, it could be a possibility.

The inflows will make the dam rise for a few days after the rains stops.

Mind you, I would not rush to put $$ for a permit if the dam was only a few % points above 50%. With winter coming on, it would not take much to drop back below 50%.

Shayned, had a look at Kurwongbah today, good flow over the spillway. I might do some casting there on Sunday if it's not too wet.

Shame there's nothing in place to divert that water into NPD.

Luc

Hang on......... Are you saying that if the dam hits 50.01% and you pay for a permit and three weeks after the dam falls to 49.98% the boating scheme will be suspended again?
    If everybody in the history of mankind thought the glass was half full, we'd all still be sitting in a cave with half a glass

flairj,
    No what it means is that at 50% there is enough water for a year for safe boating for a year. Then they will have to consider the safety again.

Luc,
    Went out yesterday to have another look, I reckon we might get over the 50% mark with the heavy falls we got yesterday in the catchment area. It will take over a week before we see the end result.

Yes a diversion system wouldn't be hard to do as Kurwongbah is higher than NPD and a gravity system could possibly work. But that costs money and I think the gov is just hoping for more rain to solve their infrastructure problems.

Phew........ Bring it on then
    If everybody in the history of mankind thought the glass was half full, we'd all still be sitting in a cave with half a glass

Crossing my fingers. While I've not had a permit in the past, I've been waiting like you guys for the scheme to recommence. Two and a half years back silly me went and bought my kit (including a 16.5 mtr flat transom canoe with outriggers and a new 54lb thrust electric motor) with the main purpose of using on NPD, only to find out afterwards that the permit scheme was suspended .

48% and counting

Shanye,
    Lets wait till the tomorrow mornings readings. I still think it will take over a week to get the true reading.

I have had a kayak now for a bit over a year and I am very interested in the boating scheme at NPD. Will i be allowed to obtain a permit to access the dam via kayak? Or is this only for canoes and electric powered tinnies?

Kev

The permit system is for any non-engine powered craft. Ie, paddled, rowed or electric outboards.

Luc

Just posted by Seqwater - NPD at 50.25% with 108,018ML

Total Brisbane supply now at 50.91% with 896,079ML!

Finally!!!!! it has been along wait.