Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TEN MONDY METERIES (+ a cast of others)

TEN MONDY METERIES (+ a cast of others)

Well all .... I'm back from what was a most memorable barra trip - One that started with no great expectations & the likelihood of several relocations.

The trip didn't start off too well .... me moving into my new pad the evening before I was due to leave for Mondy...... rush , rush , rush ( bound to leave something behind + MW (jet set fishoe) leaving me waiting for his phone call - that never came .....distracted by a lady walking in front of him = locked phone anyhow drove past the terminal & picked him up (1 hour late) arrived at Mondy after a provision stop & Gin Gin ..... + a chat to Foxy ....... A sort of quick set up of the camp & we were on the water for a mid afternoon fish in very cold threatening weather .......... no great expectations.
    Not 40mins into the session at the previously mentioned SPOT X (The Producer) whitey is hammered on a Black & Gold Slick rig ............. a nice 110cm fish is boated Attachment 43730……. Missed several more......... what a way to start the trip
    Day 2 saw us fish all day for SFA till we went back to the producer MW lands a new PB of 114cmAttachment 43731 , a awesome looking 97 & a 95 ……. While I got off the nut with a 95.
    The next day Trev joined us & with a biteless day fishing D & the South arm of B ….. We found ourselves back to the producer for the evening bite ……… Trev shows us his wares by landing a awesome 117 Attachment 43732 & a high 90s ( man can Trev catch barra)….With my contribution a 95 (MW started his run of 5 consecutive donuts)
    The following morning saw us off to LakeGregory for a bass session …….. A bit of fun with several low 40s landed & lots of little takers ……………. After that it was off to get some welding done on my trailer ( broken guard support & keel roller mount) ……….. Thanks to Trevs mate Stuie ….. Who knew of where we could go .
    At this point of time we were making plans to bypass Awoonga & fish Kinchant / Teemburra …… due to poor forecast ( Cyclone off Fraser Is) …….. But the decision was to be based on the next day’s results.
    After returning from Gin Gin …… on the water for our evening session ……. Just after dark I manage a 99 ………. & with the crescendo of barra boofing in adjoing bays …… I* dropped 3 fish on surface lures (X walks) ….. before producing a new PB of 123cm on a deeply fished 6” storm swim shad Attachment 43733…….. Attachment 43734Barely able to lift her for a pic or two , she swam off strongly after destroying my brand new Zillion HLC ( MW put her down on the reel) ……….. Well that’s just about the end of the notion of heading for greener pastures ………… The following day killed the idea completely ……… with a late start ( fishing had been poor during the daylight hours …… though the bite was getting earlier - On our location around 2ish we relaxed , sinking a couple of coldies before commencing our casting ……….. What happened over the next few hours was mind blowing - 2nd cast I land a 108Attachment 43735 , 4thth cast a 104 Attachment 43736 followed shortly after by a 98 & 95 ……. Two consecutive jump offsAttachment 43744 & another 95 …… another jump off …….Attachment 43748 & finally an 88 ( MW lost a fish on our tie off tree) .
    I landed another couple of fish the following day including a 100 even
    What happened the day after was bizarre …….. Between us 5 out of 5 jumps offs ……. & a donut day …….. But still lots of fun.
    At this point of the trip the weather turns sour with a cold SE wind replacing the 3 days of glorious NE winds ………. We both donut on the back of plummeting water temps ( 5 deg drop)
    The weather continued to deteriorate & through sheer madness we hit the water with a rather nasty storm brewing ……… not 500m from the boat ramp I realise that I had forgotten both cameras …….. & going against MW insistence I continued to our location …….. I did say “ We’ll probably land a cracker!”) Well MW certainly came back from the dead with a session in appalling conditions & results that beggars belief ………….. remember what I said about the camera - Yep we had to blast up to some fellow fishoes to get them to take a photo of MWs new PB ( 121cm) …… this was followed up by a 105cm & 1 jump offs ……… and a fish that MW was never going to stop – by the time I threw the buoy ….. The big girl made it to a tree some 100M away - put her head out of the water & ripped out the slick rig on the tree ( still waiting on the photo of the 121 to be emailed to me)
    Trev joined us again ……. & with MW landing the only fish (mid 80s) ……. Things looked pretty sad with the life being ripped out of south B on the back of the SE winds
    We decided to look elsewhere the following day …… giving 2 mile a try ….. Not exactly great conditions ……. But we were fishing . My very first cast of the day into some spindly bank side structure ….. Saw the stiffy twitch bait disappear in a boil - & realising I was in trouble, immediately backed off the drag …. Which was all to no avail ( I was running a lighter gauge hook on the back which was opened up.
    What happened next could only be described as amazing ….. Trev was working his way through the timber when he points out the little wake of a barra next to a tree …… Trev lands his cast perfectly & the spray of water says it all – “Yep barra” Unfortunately after some jumps & an entangled line ( a broken twig) ……. All he ended up with was a straightened jig head .
    Further in …. I see what was the ideal ambush scenario …. In the distance & waiting for the right moment ……. I make the cast & land my Twitch bait right on the money ( I wish I was 2 cents short) ….. the treble catches the log - MW then lands his slick rig over the log , slides it over it & gets himself a 110 …Attachment 43737…… which had to be landed while I was still snagged .
    Trev lost another fish around a small tree a little later . Back to the Producer for sunset …….. but it was dead , though we did hear that Culbura managed a fish on the next point ( well done).
    Our final days fishing had us chasing warm water / currents …….. & we eventually found 29 deg up around H ………. We had a lovely warm day with winds driving the currents our way …….. Life seems pretty good . Around 11am I got a bone jarring hit casting into the lantana but we couldn’t entice another bite over the next 10 mins . as we were moving away MW casts back toward the area and is smashed on another slick rig …….. The fish quickly make a B line for some standing timber , wraps the braid but is clearly visible on the surface . MW fortunately listened to the advice being yelled at him , which gave me the chance to unwrap the braid & get the fish into open water ………. After a great scrap MW lands an awesome 102.Attachment 43739
    Not long after …….. He breaks off another decent fish ( panic …… thumbs on spool = POP!)
    An hour later …… I land a golden fish that was picked from a lily pad- Attachment 43738 You have to love a fish that swims straight out between all the timbers & leaps 5 feet boat side ……. The 88 was our last fish of the trip.
    That evening we had a few beers , cheese & crackers with Steve B & BR65 ……… A great way to finish off our trip.

Aside from the fishing , it was great catching up with fellow ausfishers , Culbura & son , Mylestom & wife , Pete62 , BR65 , Steve B & Awoonga , Foxy + a great bunch of blokes from Cobar .

cheers

Chris

PS ...... Post 19 has the photos of MWs 121

PPS ..... As for spot X - I'm sure any shallow point that is prominant with access to deep water , could fire on the right conditions - Our formula was a simple one! We fished hard during prime bite periods , lots of casts sometimes in appalling conditions ........... More often than not , all the other boats left the area just when the fish came on. ( 2 boats that remained & fished the next point scored barra over 3 different nights)
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: TEN MONDY METERIES (+ a cast of others)

Well there it is mate awesome stuff, as I said after all the hard yards mate you got what you deserve, with a cracker trip.... scary thing is now mate your here and only a few hours away so I reckon there will be a few reports in the coming months..

Anyhow mate a fantastic read, great fishing, and good mates along the way, well done, and congrats on the $123 mate and MW $121 it seems to be the mile stone these days and you did it awesome.

Nath

Mate that sounded like a trip of a lifetime I hope I can get onto as many as that next time Im back there great report and pics

cheers
    Francey

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Well there it is mate awesome stuff, as I said after all the hard yards mate you got what you deserve, with a cracker trip.... scary thing is now mate your here and only a few hours away so I reckon there will be a few reports in the coming months..

Anyhow mate a fantastic read, great fishing, and good mates along the way, well done, and congrats on the $123 mate and MW $121 it seems to be the mile stone these days and you did it awesome.

Nath
    Thanks Nath

Much easier now ...... just a 4.5 hour stroll - even MW who is ship scared of flying will be back ( If I have him )

always enjoyed our trips regardless but this was something else for sure

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

yeah spose you did ok...

I would expect better now you a QLD'r....but its a start

Seriously, Well done to both of you.!!! You certainly hit the the place hard, and go the just rewards!!.

I had a doughnut today for the record. One hit, one miss!!!

Cheers Steve

Great report Nagg. What is it with MW's fascination with fluro yellow clothing?

Yes,, yes...its going to be hard to top this trip....The sheer size of those Mondy is just....it wont be long before the magic 130 is blown away.. its time to rewrite the record books....Monduran has this magic spell that has bitten me as well... Awoonga just minutes away or Mondy....at the moment its Mondy....

Quote Originally Posted by tiges View Post
    Great report Nagg. What is it with MW's fascination with fluro yellow clothing?
    ....... IT's FREE!
    The bugger even stole my Loomis cap
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Yes,, yes...its going to be hard to top this trip....The sheer size of those Mondy is just....it wont be long before the magic 130 is blown away.. its time to rewrite the record books....Monduran has this magic spell that has bitten me as well... Awoonga just minutes away or Mondy....at the moment its Mondy....
    Hey Trev ...... Great fishing with you again .
    There is something about Mondy ...... lots of options

as mentioned , we left the producer alone & found 29 deg up at H ....... casting to bankside structure ......... just awesome

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

WHITEY..and chris.. ...chris, awsome mate, i knew it would not be to long before we see you with a huge girl.(barra)...the time and effort you put into your fishing...well deserved prize mate. .congrats to you and the mighty, no doubt will see you up that way soon... ..top report..thanks.
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    WHITEY..and chris.. ...chris, awsome mate, i knew it would not be to long before we see you with a huge girl.(barra)...the time and effort you put into your fishing...well deserved prize mate. .congrats to you and the mighty, no doubt will see you up that way soon... ..top report..thanks.
    deano..
    Thanks Bud

It would be pretty hard to keep me away MW will be there for the muster.
    Yes ..... the big girl , It did take a while (too many lost) -
    Yeh , I certainly feel the fish have been earnt ....... specially when I have to listen to YEH , WHITEY THE BARRA CATCHER or WHITEY THE BARRA CHAMP ..... I feel so sorry for the person he sat next to on the plane this afternoon

catchya soon

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Awesome stuff Chris. I bet the next trip was planned in the car on the way home?
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Awesome trip guys, and great report Chris.

Well done to both of you on the new PB's

Bummer about the new reel, although if you're gunna break it I guess that's the way you want to do it - flogged to death by a Monster Barra

Cheers
    Tony

Chris,

That's a bloody good report with fantastic pictures mate.

Well done to both yourself and the Mighty Whitey, you both deserved a good trip like that after all the miles, time, effort and cost you have poured into the Barra scene over the past few years.

Now you both have a PB better than mine so, now i have a target, looks like i'll just have to go to Mondy.

I've been told Whitey needs a new pair of volley's, sounds like a good item for a Christmas present, do you reckon he can make the present pair last another eight months?

And the Zillion? is it fixable? expensive flop mate.

Well done, the trip was a ripper for you.

Cheers,
    John.

good read nagg hope you left some for me this weekend mate thats if there's any water left in the dam since they are letting some out might be a good thing

shane