Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few pics from a pom

A few pics from a pom

Heres a few Mackerel I caught last summer, we don't get them very big here in the UK and can only catch them in the summer

On my stretch of Suffolk coast we don't get any macs, as we have a sand bank out about ten miles, and this makes our waters, constantly gritty and murky , macs only like gin clear water.

These macs were caught in a place called Salthouse, up in Norfolk, on the north Norfolk coast, a pal emailed me and said if you want a feed of macs get up here, macs are funny things, here today gone tomorrow..

We turned up on the ''shingle'' [beach consisting of small and large pebbles, from 5mm to 50mm] around 5am, the sun was not up yet, so we waited an hour, then headed to the shore, we use beachcasters and feathers, you just bang out the feathers and reel in as you would a lure, bingo they were there, an old local gentleman, said he had never seen the shoal so big, it was nearly a mile long, they were working the shore going up and down, driving small whitebait, close to shore, the shore line, was covered in whitebait...

Me and my son caught an esky full, we gave a few away to friends then spent the rest of the weekend at the bbq scoffing the rest

http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/salthouse.html

Re: A few pics from a pom

Another picture from the summer of 2008, a day out on a local charter boat, one useless skipper imo , but thats another story

We went out from a small Suffolk town called Felixstowe me and the wife and a few others, it was the hottest day of the year, topped at around 34c

We went out a few miles to a hot mark called rough towers, basicaly its an old oil rig towed out to the North Sea owned and lived in by an excentric millionare, he calls the rig sealand lol I'll include a link about on the place..

Well we didn't catch much only smoothound about 20 were landed, they are cousins of your gummy sharks, funny thing is no one eats them here, I'll be changing that when they show up in the summer...

P.S take no notice of the hair, my mates and family know I look like and extra from Dr Who, with a shaved head, so insisted I shaved my hair off for a kids charity, how could I refuse... we made a couple of hundred quid though, I'm not that traumatised...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

Heres a few pics from our family holiday to Fuerteventura

My son with a nice Bonito, and my AJ 92lb, plus a tray full of small stuff caught from the rocks on a 17' 2lb class parabolic Jap foat rod [all legal size] heading for the frying pan, breams , trevally, and small sardine like things......

daaaaayum...lookit the size of that AJ...must have been like pulling up the plug
    great too see piccies from the other side of the big pond...cheers SS...hope to see some more soon

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

From September 2008 till now I've been fishing my regular spot, for the cod, the area is called Orford ness and is a nature reserve, you need a 4x4 to get to the marks, and be a member of the Orford Ness Angling Club, pics to come....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orford_Ness

Quote Originally Posted by Benno1 View Post
    daaaaayum...lookit the size of that AJ...must have been like pulling up the plug
    great too see piccies from the other side of the big pond...cheers SS...hope to see some more soon

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny
    Thanks mate I'll be sure to post more pics as and when, as for the AJ i'm left handed, to start with, I thought my heart was going to jump into my mouth, when it took the bait...

awsome Aj there dude, looks like ur cookin on the barby like a tru aussie to,exept ur missing the stubbie in the other hand lol

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    awsome Aj there dude, looks like ur cookin on the barby like a tru aussie to,exept ur missing the stubbie in the other hand lol

Don't worry mate there would have been an ice cold brewski somewhere close....

Well done and thanks for some photos from your fishing trip. Keep them coming.

I fished friday, I knew it wouldn't be good as there was a build up of high pressure, and the fish here hate calm sunny conditions lol, but if you haven't got a hook in the water how can you expect to catch a fish of a lifetime...

Well the weekend came and went , so yesterday , I thought right lets make amends for Fridays disaster, the weather changed for the better 'fishing wise' wild ridge of low pressure came sweeping in from the Atlantic, bringing wind rain and cats and dogs.....

Here are a few pics..

first is me at the gate of the wildlife sanctuary I fish, we haven't got many remote parts of the coast in my area this is the last.....and guess what I was there all on my own , I love fair weather fisherman....

This is the track that goes on for 10 miles, rather stoney, and deep 4x4 country for sure

Orford ness is an important wildlife habitat, so far so good , looks like its only me on the Ness, except for the wildlife...

Well I get to my fishing spot and the heavens open and what you can't see is the wind, its coming off the land, great for fishing, cod tend to be 150 yards out, and 36 knots of wind will do very nicely...

Second picture is the temperature, not exactly like the cosy fishing conditions of Friday, upto 18c bright and sunny, and not a breath of wind, rather cold big windchill..

I thought i'd take a pic of whats behind the coast, as you can see huge aerials, and some kind of big building, it turns out this was a listerning station during the ''cold war'' the land they sit on now is a nature reserve, I'm still not convinced the listerning station is redundant..

They tested nuke bomb triggers here too so I've just been told...

We tend not to rove about fishing here in the UK we tend to set up a base camp , somewhat like a base camp for a Himalayan mountain climb lol

The black tent is commonly used in the UK by shore anglers, its called a beach buddie, it stood up to 34knots of wind yesterday and kept the worst of the weather off of me....base camp was set-up at around 3.30pm low tide, I like to fish the up, and a few hours down..

The rods you see are a 16' Daiwa longbeam with a leeda northstar reel, and an old Alvey I thought I'd take along for the ride, he hadn't caught a cod before and had been in retirement for some years, the rod is a very powerfull, Ron Thompson 'Eccessor'