Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few pics from a pom

Re: A few pics from a pom

The rig, pulley pennel with 170g breakaway lead, the bait clip hooks the the hook and keeps everything streamlined for the cast [100 yards or you don't catch here]

Bait whole squid, cocooned with bait elastic..

A few pictures of the weather, my trusty steed awaits my return...

The remoteness of the place has been a haven for smugglers for centurys, most probably some of your ancesters lol....

With Holland and the continent only a few hours ride away on a powerful rib boat, the place has been known to have been used by drug importers.. honest mate I didn't see a thing...

Heres a pic of the Coast Guard they patrol, quite often...

Now for the fun part the fishing, with 34 knot wind gusts behind me, I was nearly hitting Europe, great,and I had the whole place to myself. I started to fish on the start of the flood tide, a bit quiet to start but it hotted up, first fish is a whiting, yep thats riight a whiting, you copied us lol

The rest are Codling, they are only called cod when the reach the weight of around 6lb, my fish weighed around the 3 lb mark, my Alvey reel with 11lb line [very light for this coast] fished very well, shame about the slow retrevial rate, I was casting out around 170-200 yards..

The Codling came in steady all night I fished to around 11.30pm, 12 nice codling, plus a feed of whiting...

On the drive back I saw only one other bloke fishing top man! I'm a fishing fanatic, fair weather fishing is ok but don't expect to catch cod........

Next week I'll be chasing the spring run of Roker other wise known as Thornback ray, stay tuned, Oh and my son fishes a Junior comp, Saturday..

You get 10 points for dedication mate. Great read and love the pics.

Tight lines buddy.

Don't stop - keep them coming, this makes a real interesting read, its quite a contrast to here. Thanks mate!

Well the old skate/ Thornback ray hunt was a disaster, one small codling thats all we had, mind you high pressure was dominant, over here fish go off the feed when barometric pressure is high...

So what have I been doing, well concentrating on Cod fishing, this time of year we get a spring run, big plump cod , that have been feeding on small bait fish from the New year until now, they come inshore now looking for peeler crabs, they are a dynamite bait this time of year, and fetch up to a £1 each in the tackle shops and with bait dealers http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/le...peelercrab.php ..

We had a good fishing sesh Thursday night, same place as the pictures above Orford Ness, we had a good lot of fish [Codling] mostly around the 4lb mark.

As we are now coming into Spring proper, a few Summer species are moving in, armned with peeler crabs, I was expecting maybe a European Bass up to 3lb , but, I wasn't expecting this a 7lb Bass, these fish are the most prized seafishing sports fish in the UK , shore record is around 18lbs, I was and am chuffed to say the least....

Stay tuned folks! later in the week , I'll show you some pics about the bait we use, and anything else that might of happened in the week...........

Ahh Thornback rays, well we will be after them again next week, you must not give up lol

They are a great eating fish, years ago your housewife wouldn't of had any concerns, buying and frying a few skate wings or as we call them in East Anglia ''Roker' for her family, seems modern house wife/ partner isn't so keen on them, well thats good for me as the commercial boats are no longer actively fishing for them, and numbers have increased some what http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornback_ray

Yum Skate wings..............

Hiya mate,

Keep 'em coming......reminds me of home. Get yer bum up to Blackpool if you like skate. This was taken a while ago with a shitty polaroid. Mixed bag of Skate, Tope, conger, mackerel, and look at the size of that plaice!

kev

The missus

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Good story, keep it coming. It's great to see how others chase the fish.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Out on a local charter boat last Tuesday, me my son, the wife and father in-law [ well he lives 6 months of the year in NSW and lived there for 30 odd years and moans at any given chance for moving back here] all Aussies except for me...

We had a good day over 20 good cod landed and at least 30 Skate [Thornback ray] excellent eating fish, we also had whiting , pout and dog fish...

We went out from Bradwell marina on a boat owned by the legendary John Rawle, skippered by Phil white, we anchored up in the Thames estuary...

Yep it was raining cats and dogs lol, bait squid , mud/lug worms and hermit crab, biggest fish of the day was a big female skate just under 10lb caught by my son, biggest cod 8lb on the dot, my biggest fish 9lb skate..

Pics wife and father in-law

Skipper and more fish

more pics...............