Thread: AJ Fuerteventura Canary Islands

AJ Fuerteventura Canary Islands

Here's a picture of a 92lb Amberjack I caught in Fuerteventura,it was caught in 20+m of water, live bait under a balloon, the live bait was a small fish sardine type called a Boga.

The fish took my 20mins to land, on 30lb class gear, and took me full 360 degrees around the boat. We had been trolling most of the day without success, so decided to anchor up for a bit of reef fishing..

The second picture is of my son with an Atlantic bonito 10lb [ish so he insists] , caught using the same method, live bait balloon..

Me and a party of mate went out for 4 days earlier this month and blanked we had a few small barracuda that was about it, the sea was teaming with bait fish boiling with the stuff..

We saw shoals of Bonito in the thousands covering several hundred meters square, we chucked every lure know to man at them , they wouldn't take any, we foul hooked one fish , I opened it up , full of roe and hadn't been eating, my guess they were only interested in the other things .....

Re: AJ Fuerteventura Canary Islands

Mate that is a cracker of an ambo. I bet you knew you were alive when you got hold of that one. A fine fish for the boy also.
    Cheers,
    Brendan

Cheers mate it sure gave a good scrap, I would have liked to have relesaed it , but the skipper and crew wanted to steak it up, and turn the head into soup etc

How did it end up on the tooth.
    People will often not even think of large aj as table fare, but the last one we had was superb.
    Brendan