Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Me and Mondy, It's a love hate thing.

Me and Mondy, It's a love hate thing.

Hi all, after a great weekend with the Borumba Bashers I moved further north to Monduran.
    Flying solo, my deckie pulled out 3 days b4 the trip, I knew it was going to be hard to keep myself motivated with long days on the water.

Arriving about lunchtime Sunday I set up camp, had a quick chat with Adrian, one of the Mondy guides and hit the water for an afternoon reckie.
    Up to B and tied on a new B52 in red and white. 4th cast I was looking at the lures action close to the boat, whack, big surface hit and miss, geez this is looking OK. Nothing much else for the arvo, back to camp for dinner and beers, water temp was 27.

The plan for the week was do an early start till about lunchtime, home for a spell then out for the evening and the moonrise bite.

Monday morning, at the ramp at 04:30 scouting around SDA and Bird b4 daylight. SDA had some activity on daylight so I stuck around, prospecting the points. Just on sunrise I had a massive hit on the surface very close to the boat, enough to shower me with water from head to toe as the big girl tried in vain to hook herself, S%#T that was fun, would have been an interesting hookup as there was heaps of timber around. Kept sacting and prospecting around for the morning then home for a spell.
    The arvo was spent in Sth arm of B prospecting points for no interest.

Met Nagg and MW monday night, the boys were in a purple patch. We spoke about lures and tactics with the points and SP's getting the nod.

Tuesday moning had me back in SDA and Bird till after daylight then S.A.B for the arvo, back into BB b4 dark.

I found a nice looking point in BB and tied off for the night session. To me, this point will forever be know a Barra Buffet Point as what happened over the hours after dark had to be experienced to be believed.
    The Boofing started out slowly and built up to what I have since explained as someone hanging above the boat throwing house bricks in the water, by the hundreds, it was the most amazing experience. Needless to say I was confident, I threw every thing at these fish, HB's SP'S geez I even threw a Roosta popper, for nearly 2 hours it went on b4 I fooled a fish into a strike on a mid water HB, homemade lure a freind had given me in gold. The fish hit hard close to the boat and took off in the right direction away from the timber, only lasted about 8 secs b4 the leader knot gave way................S%#T.

Wednesday was a late start, bludging for the morning then tagging along with Nagg & MW up into S.A.B for the afternoon. The boys went up to there fav spot and I hung off the next point up from Pepper Point. An hour or so in I got a solid hookup, some very spectacular dancing and good stong runs b4 the SP was spat back at me.

Thursday saw a change in wind direction and cooler water temp. The morning started in S.A.B then up towards H to try and find walmer water, home for more fuel then the arvo in BB, gave the show away just b4 dark.

So, for a guy who didn't put a fish in the boat, I have now got a few more pieces of the puzzle in place, have met some more AF's, MW is a total dagg, funny guy and Chris is a top fella who is very forthcoming with tips and advise and had a much needed break from the grind.

I must have tried reasonably hard this trip cause I looked at the carpet in the boat and it is gonna take me hours to pick up all the tag ends and knots off the floor

Cheer's Pete.

Re: Me and Mondy, It's a love hate thing.

Thanks for the report Pete.

Bummer about no fish but at least you were hooked up for a few seconds, and how fun are those strikes near the boat!

It sounds like you've gained some knowledge so that alone makes a trip worthwhile - time to plan the next assault now

Cheers
    Tony

Can Mods pls move this to Freshwater chat pls.

Ta, Pete.

good on ya pete, sounds like you had a good week away from the grind, only bummer was meeting up with a couple of bums so far from home...one at borumba and two at mondy, ...ha, great to catch up, see you soon...

deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Sounds like a great trip!
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Bummer about the no fish, but there will always be next time eh?
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Pete

Was great to catch up with you at Borumba and a shame you 0 Mondy.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks for the report Pete and badluck on the lost fish. Sounds like my last trips to Mondy. I always put Locktite or Superglue on my leader to braid knot for some extra insurance. Never had one fail doing that. Lots going thru your head on the trip home I'm sure. - cheers RC

Hi Pete first of all thanks for letting me be your deckie at Borumba after talking on the phone with you on Wednesday my phone died but i was hoping you would land one of those big brutes up there in mondy ,even hooking up like you did i find is a big rush ,I know it was a long haul home with no fish but it will come mate, as i said on the phone if you can get away for a weekend or 3 days after May let me know and i will return the deckie favour at mondy to save you towing the boat up.

Shane

Hi Shane, no worries, was good to have u on board, was a fun weekend all round. Yeah it is a long haul but u know what, I really don't find it that hard, I do the Goldcoast/Brivgas run quite often, the bit from the Sunny coast to Gimpie is a pain but after that it's all good.

Good luck if you go up this weekend, will send u a PM with some thoughts.

Pete.

Hey Pete!!
    Firstly it was great to finally catch up at The Bash.
    Ok....so you didn't boat a fish but it sounds like you had a cracker time regardless and came home a bit wiser to the barra ways. That's what it all about!! When that final piece of the puzzle fits LOOK OUT it's game on. We finally had it happen at the muster and I still grin like a Cheshire Cat when I think about it. Our barra success owes alot to other Af'ers sharing their tips, spot X's and even lures. We do alot of research before each trip but it's nice to have you strategies reaffirmed by people who have good success at the dam. That's what I love about this site, the sharing and openness of our fellow fisho. Not to mention the genuine joy they display when you finally crack the big one. The bash cemented it for me, I have to say I feel really blessed to be involved in such a great bunch of people.
    Good luck next trip Pete.....Don't they go like a cut cat
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Quote Originally Posted by themissus View Post
    Hey Pete!!
    Firstly it was great to finally catch up at The Bash.
    Ok....so you didn't boat a fish but it sounds like you had a cracker time regardless and came home a bit wiser to the barra ways. That's what it all about!! When that final piece of the puzzle fits LOOK OUT it's game on. We finally had it happen at the muster and I still grin like a Cheshire Cat when I think about it. Our barra success owes alot to other Af'ers sharing their tips, spot X's and even lures. We do alot of research before each trip but it's nice to have you strategies reaffirmed by people who have good success at the dam. That's what I love about this site, the sharing and openness of our fellow fisho. Not to mention the genuine joy they display when you finally crack the big one. The bash cemented it for me, I have to say I feel really blessed to be involved in such a great bunch of people.
    Good luck next trip Pete.....Don't they go like a cut cat
    Cheers Kim.
    Thanks Kim, it was great to meet u n Roo as well and yes we r lucky to have such a sharing mob here. At the end of the day I am only a Newbie on the Dam but as I said on the phone I feel a lot closer now and to have hooked a couple just added more fuel, next trip is already in it's early stages of planning. MAY be I will be heading back up soon.

Pete.

Let us know...we r looking at a april/may trip.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Will Do

Pete.

Gday Pete, nice to spill a beer with you at the bash mate!
    Sounds like you had a good run up at M mate regardless of fish in the net, she can be a tuff nut to crack, Im currently trying to digest a rather bitter donut from this week end gone, so feel the pain brother.
    If nothing else, you know in your own mind that the spots and techniques you are useing will produce a fish, the mind game is half the battle I reckon.
    Matter of fact, Im sure the pros must of gill netted the joint empty the day before I got up there lol, fair dinkum, some days you would swear blind theres no barra in there.
    cheers
    brian