Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen/heard/used the new lowrance HDS-5x sounder

Anyone seen/heard/used the new lowrance HDS-5x sounder

I'm in the market for a new sounder,

I was down at the local electronics shop and he informed me that lowrance have bought out a new range of High definition gear, he said the chartplotters are no good yet as they only offer a very basic background map for us just yet.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the HDS-5x HD sounder, the image quality looks awesome, I'm going to the shop again this arvy to find out some more.

Re: Anyone seen/heard/used the new lowrance HDS-5x sounder

G'day

Grand_Marlin has, He's got the good oil on them seeing as he's an agent for them.

To say he was blown away was an understatement.

Well worth a PM to get his opinion and $$ on the unit

Dave

Reel Overtime
    I was in at the Tinny and Tackle show yesterday with the firm intension of picking up a Lowrance chartplotter.
    I came away having ordered the new Lowrance HDS-5 combo unit. Will pick it up next week. How it works in the real world as opposed to simulation mode will be the test but it looked very good.
    It comes with a base map that looked ok to me for what I want to do with it. There is of course the option to upgrade to a Navionics card later if needed.
    Let you know how it goes.
    Scott
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Yeah mate.

Saw one in BCF Loganholme. Very smart.
    Apparently give a virtual 3d image of what's below ..............

And I JUST bought an X15 Sounder too. ................

...............Wouldn't it.........?

Not cheap tho..........
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

Guy from Navico was telling me today at the BIAS stand that these new Lowrance combos need a software upgrade to run Navonics charts. They will be sending the upgrade to any one with one via SD card

They look like a nice unit but.

hi mate,
    I'am not sure how the new lowrance sounders go, but I just bought myself the furuno 620. Great unit especially running in manual. I fish in 30 to 80 meters great for picking up bottom and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by reel overtime View Post
    I'm in the market for a new sounder,

I was down at the local electronics shop and he informed me that lowrance have bought out a new range of High definition gear, he said the chartplotters are no good yet as they only offer a very basic background map for us just yet.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the HDS-5x HD sounder, the image quality looks awesome, I'm going to the shop again this arvy to find out some more.

Was speaking with a southern rep and his interpretation of the unit was that it
    is 8 times more powerful than your standard unit therefore if you have a 600w
    transducer from your old lowrance unit it will plug directly into the new head unit and give you a signal equivalent to 3-4kw transducer.
    I have seen pics he showed of the unit reading 3800mts from of a standard 600w
    transducer.
    Absolutely awesome.
    The other factor if you spend $1400/1500 on these smaller units the broadband is built in which sells for 1k?
    The combo units all have built in antennas that are supposed to be bullet proof
    as far as reception goes.
    Time will tell i suppose.

Regards Frank

after looking into it a bit more the hds-5x has too smaller screen. i might need to go bigger the 8 or the hds-10. i might also need to find someone in gladstone running a furuno 620 so i can have a squiz.

I have seen pics he showed of the unit reading 3800mts from of a standard 600w
    transducer.
    not too sure what you were looking at when the max sonar depth is stated to be 5000ft or 1524m

Yep, purchased that unit from the local BCF Store coupla weeks ago n recieved a top deal ..
    Have fitted unit and played around with it in Sim mode so far but havent had the chance to have it out on the briney see if it performs as they say it should..
    Far as the screen size goes??, okay for this little vegymite and so far happy with it..
    Original intentions were the furuno 620 but for the difference in price, 2 year warrenty and publicity towards this unit ,just had to give it a try..
    11 years with a small eagle black n white sounder which has served me well buttime for a change..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Yep, purchased that unit from the local BCF Store coupla weeks ago n recieved a top deal ..
    Have fitted unit and played around with it in Sim mode so far but havent had the chance to have it out on the briney see if it performs as they say it should..
    Far as the screen size goes??, okay for this little vegymite and so far happy with it..
    Original intentions were the furuno 620 but for the difference in price, 2 year warrenty and publicity towards this unit ,just had to give it a try..
    11 years with a small eagle black n white sounder which has served me well buttime for a change..
    Exactly what my thinking was Volvo.
    I was committed to the Furuno 620 as I have always had Furuno’s but the price is now ridiculous.
    Again will see how the Lowrance goes once its setup.
    Scott
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Very interested myself in hearing the washup on these new sounders, I too was holding out until I could justify a big screen furuno...these lowrance do sort of sound good, hope it's not largely just more marketing half truths etc

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by reel overtime View Post
    not too sure what you were looking at when the max sonar depth is stated to be 5000ft or 1524m
    Sorry my bad depths were in feet
    Was at a seminar last monday here in Vic at Port Phillip Boating with
    Paul Cameron the Navico rep and he had both the 5x and the 8m.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/content/fi...b_original.jpg

This might also help you also.
    http://www.hdsrevolution.com/

Regards Frank

Hopefully will get out and give it a try in the near future ..Will give a report back on my thoughts towards this unit for sure.

Getting back to the Furuno, another thing that peeved me off bigtime was walking into the tackleshop one day and the inti was selling for res around the $1250/1290 dollar mark.Next day thougt "What the heck and went back to purchase to find it had jumped in price by near $300 excuse being the value of the dollar!! and on that same unit that was sitting there for so long!!.
    Thought up your #um Chum and walked out!! luckilly to later read about these Lowrance HD Units so time will tell whether i did the wise thing or not??..
    And must add all dealers put the Furuno's up too and just by the image qualliy from both i think the Lowrance might come up trumps in the end??, will see??..
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Hopefully will get out and give it a try in the near future ..Will give a report back on my thoughts towards this unit for sure.

Getting back to the Furuno, another thing that peeved me off bigtime was walking into the tackleshop one day and the inti was selling for res around the $1250/1290 dollar mark.Next day thougt "What the heck and went back to purchase to find it had jumped in price by near $300 excuse being the value of the dollar!! and on that same unit that was sitting there for so long!!.
    Thought up your #um Chum and walked out!! luckilly to later read about these Lowrance HD Units so time will tell whether i did the wise thing or not??..
    And must add all dealers put the Furuno's up too and just by the image qualliy from both i think the Lowrance might come up trumps in the end??, will see??..
    Cheers
    Thats exactly what happened at my BCF...unit with dust on it went from 1295 plus transducer to 1575 plus transducer ...old stock.. every sounder on their display is obsolete ZI think except perhaps the 620 which is now 3 years old...no wonder they dont sell any