Thread: Better Fishy Photo’s

Better Fishy Photo’s

These are some of the things I like to do to try and get the best out of my pics. This is just a thread I’ve made for the beginners out there on the basic points of fishy photography, based on my experiences. By no means am I a professional at this sort of thing as these are only the basics. Hopefully it can help a few people out there and if anybody has anything to add or share, please do. I’m sure there’s a lot more people on here that are more experienced than I am and are willing to give an input.

· Line up the horizon - If you can see the horizon, try and line it up so it is as level as possible. Although just pointing and shooting can create an incredible picture, I believe taking the time and concentrating on this point can dramatically affect an image.

· Lighting - Try and get the sun so it is facing down on where you are taking the shot, preferably behind the person taking the photo, this creates minimal dark areas(no shadows to spoil the shot), therefore makes it easier to see.

· Try and take the shots ASAP - IMO fish that are alive almost always look better than fish that are dead, this means taking the photo as soon as possible after the fish is caught to try and capture the fish’s natural colour. Remember, if you are releasing the fish try and get it back in the water within a minute or two.

· Experiment with different angles - When fish are few and far in between I think it pays to try different angles so when the fish are coming thick and fast you have an idea of how your photo will turn out. Get the angler to hold the fish in different ways, both vertically, horizontally and even diagonal(always supporting the fish’s weight).

· Improving the picture as much as possible - This means removing distractions and taking care of the fish. Rods, bait boards etc are somewhat of a distraction so try and remove them from the shot if possible. Wash the fish if need be, a fish with blood all over it doesn’t seem to attract much interest.

· Using the zoom - Personally, I try not to use the zoom, especially with close-ups as it reduces picture quality and doesn’t give you a steady shot.

· What are you shooting? - Pay attention to what you want to capture. Do you want to include the conditions behind an angler? Really expose the colours of the fish? The background also sets the scene so keep that in mind.

· More than just the fish - I believe capturing moments throughout the fight and the scenery around you will create better memories of the experience. Shots such as sunrise, sunset and the conditions.

· Buy the best camera you can afford - Although not the most important point, having a good camera makes taking the photo’s easier and gives better quality pics.

Cheers
    Damo
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Better Fishy Photo’s

Some great suggestions there,

personally, the thing that p!sses me off the most are the people who hold a fish a arms length to make the fish look bigger, even fish that are already worth a good mention,
    the only thing that I can add to your list is, hold the fish in close to your chest so that everyone can see the "real" size of your fish,
    no-one believes the held out shots.

Muzz

Thanks Damo, some good tips there for amatuers like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Some great suggestions there,

personally, the thing that p!sses me off the most are the people who hold a fish a arms length to make the fish look bigger, even fish that are already worth a good mention,
    the only thing that I can add to your list is, hold the fish in close to your chest so that everyone can see the "real" size of your fish,
    no-one believes the held out shots.

Muzz
    Good tip Muzz, that can really spoil a shot.

Cheers

Thanks, Now I just need to go catch some decent fish
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

There's also an article in the latest Blue Water mag that has some great tips if anyone's interested, issue 72.

great topic damo as every report with great photos makes this board what it is today and topics like this that help fellow ausfishers make you proud to be a member.

some other things to keep in mind .
    # if putting your hands/fingers in the gills of a fish make sure you don't hyper extend the mouth as a fish with its gob fully open in a side on shot looks crappy.
    # if you have a dslr see if yo can get hold of a power flash to fill in the shaded areas in bright sunlight.
    # if some one is using your digi camera to take a pic of you , make sure you tell them to bang off a heap of shots if they arent sure how they look and turn the camera to the side portrait style as well as sometimes these shots kick ass.
    # in early morning shots with a sunrise behind the photographer turn the flash of on a few shots as the orange light looks awesome.

#### and for gods sake smile,laugh,yahoo,woopee and carry on like ya just enjoyed catching that fish
    cheers swano

Toatally agree swano. Thanks for your input, those points are very useful.

I try to apply a lot of these points as much as possible also when filming.