Thread: e-bay fly gear

e-bay fly gear

Hey guys/ girls,
    Have been checking out some fly fishing gear on e-bay( search vintage fishing ) and notice that one guy(taupofish) has a lot of fly packs etc( Wheatley brand I think) on auction. Does anyone know if these flys are ok for aussie applications and if they are good value or not ?
    Am not a seasoned flyfisho so any info would be greatly appreciated as I have recently scored enough gear to start giving it a bash.
    Cheers Stevo !!!

Re: e-bay fly gear

Thanks !!!

Hey Steve - Wish I could help you out mate....suprised no-one else has responded! :/

stevo, i too have noticed some good flies for sale both for fishing and for collecting..I too am a bit of a Fly Fishing novice so i can't help you out much sorry. I have however posed a question on another thread however in relation to any Customs problems associated with importation of flies for OS.. Cheers Scott..

Thanks guys, much appreciated !!!

Stevo not a lot of info there on your target species, trout,tuna,mullet,marlin,carp,????????

Hey charlie, wasnt targetting anything in particular mate, I was more interested in the brand ( wheatley ) and whether they would suit aussie freshwater flyfishing in general. I have all sorts of gear and I may not use it for years but it might be good to have on board for down the track if you get my gist.
    I recently scored about 120 classic flys and a vintage fly reel from a deceased estate ( for doing an old lady a favour)which are in top nick, these were owned by a guy who did all his flyfishing in south island New Zealand in the 50's & 60,s, most were tied by him, next holiday to Wanaka you know what will be coming with me, just need to get my hands on a decent fly rod to suit.
    Cheers and thanks for the reply !!

I too have been looking on e-bay. There are some interesting things for sale there.

I don't (yet) know enough about what is on offer. So for that reason, and because they give me good info and otherwise look after me, I think I'll be going to a trusted local shop, or two, or three.

As for your vintage gear, maybe using it is not the choice some would make. me, I'd use it, just like the floppies I saved up for as a kid, perhaps not if the recently deceased was a leading light in the fly fishing context

Quote Originally Posted by hooknose View Post
    Hey guys/ girls,
    Have been checking out some fly fishing gear on e-bay( search vintage fishing ) and notice that one guy(taupofish) has a lot of fly packs etc( Wheatley brand I think) on auction. Does anyone know if these flys are ok for aussie applications and if they are good value or not ?
    Am not a seasoned flyfisho so any info would be greatly appreciated as I have recently scored enough gear to start giving it a bash.
    Cheers Stevo !!!
    Quite simply Wheatley quality make Hardy look like home brand....... (please dont ask who Hardy is ) Seriously anytime you can get your hands on early wheatley gear without having to give up your first born I highly recomend you do so & then send it to me ...... for appraisal purposes you understand

Walldog
    There are 10 types of people in this world
    "those that understand binary and those that don't"

Thanks walldog, I think its all gone now but cheers anyway, ps, I do know what Hardy gear is all about, bit out of my price range !!!