Thread: Tagging situation-out of interest

Tagging situation-out of interest

Just wondering about you blokes that go fishing for marlin. The tags you put in the fish do they they cost you money? and what sort of information gets handed into aurthorities if any about the fish?
    Might be dumb arse questions but you don't know unless you ask.

The main reason i ask is i have one spot that holds sh!tloads of small reds with the occasional legals. I often think to myself about tagging them. I have been on the baitrunner up Rainbow and he tags all the under size reds.

So i was thinking of ringing the DPI to find out what information comes back about tagged fish to see if its worth while doing.

Does anyone else do it at the momment?
    Also would a rec angler be able to?
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Tagging situation-out of interest

I will leave the question about taggin game fish to the other, but for tagging of other species, you need to be a member of ANSA. Tags are free. The Queensland tagging program is run by infofish, which is a branch of ANSA. You can either join a local ANSA club or just join ANSA Qld. You should be able to find more info at www.ansaqld.com.au
    Jeremy

Re: Tagging situation-out of interest

Special applicators are needed when tagging demersal and eatuarine species. Jeremy is spot on...join an ANSA club in your area as they are the main contact for tagging of both Game and non game species. If you join a Game club then you would be limited to tagging game species....even though snapper is technically a game species...the tags supplied by QGFA are not suitable for snapper as they are a demersal species and need to be tagged using a special applicator.

Our club is both Gamefishing and ANSA so PM me if you want further info.

Greg