Thread: 16' surf rods

16' surf rods

Are you guys using the Continental/European surf rods? They are very popular over here, I have 3 long rods, 2 Grauvell Duplical Helical surf rods 100% carbon[cost a small fortune] and a carbon mix 16' Daiwa longbeam, I haven't used them in Oz but i'm sure they would be great in the surf chasing tailer and Jew, and all the smaller stuff..

I'll be over in the Aussie Summer, and will be using mine, do any of you guys use breakaway leads?

The reason we use these Longrods is they cast further using an egg beater reel 200 yards plus, and you can cast super long rigs, around 5' long, they are realy good for casting delicate baits ...........

I noticed Shimano make several longrods up tom 18', but they aren't in the Aussie catalogue..

Re: 16' surf rods

Use a 13' 6" rod from Snyder, graphite and glass mix.

With an Alvey 6500BCV RR reel. http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/4.shtml

Having a 6.5 inch spool helps in the casting distance. The line comes off a lot easier than from a small egg beater spool. Less friction, smoother longer casting.

Hope you can get your rod on a plane from the UK to here. Might be a problem.

16' is a big rod! What are the breakaway leads? Is it the type of sinker that attach's to the hook but disengages when it hits the water (looks a lot like the sinkers with 4 prongs that can bend when snagged)? I used these a lot when I use to live in WA but cant find them over here. I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

Cheers, Mick.

Just read a report where a guy fishes 3 hooks on wires booms 12' from top to bottom, thats what I call covering a lot of water, he uses a 16' rod.....

These 16' rods break down to 3 parts , I've been all over the place with them , going to OZ should be ok..

As for breakaway sinkers heres a few pics http://images.google.co.uk/images?so...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Shakespeare do an 18' rod awesome, casting i'd guess is very slow http://www.abfishingtackle.com/acata...shing-rod.html

Have used the Gemini Breakaway/Breeakout sinkers, still have a few. Didn't have much success with them, but then again didnt use them a lot to get use to them. I mainly surf fish where there is not much sweep.

If you get to Brisbane, or near by, I would be interested in having a look at the rod. If it breaks down into 3 pieces I might look at getting one to try out.

The ones I have used were pretty close to Steves, found the one in the link provided by SandStorm. Thanks mate.

Cheers, Mick.

If you are lucky you can find moulds for them. or just get some snapper lead/ barrel sinker moulds and modift them somewhat. I havent seen many 16 foot rods in use around teh east coast. I find im maxed out belting a fourteen foot fibreglass rod with half a mullet and 5 ounces of lead to the horizon in search of jew.

What line classes do you run with the 16 and 18 footers?

cheers

Owen

Are you using distance casting techniques with these long rods or can a simple overhand cast be employed.
    I would think a long rod with a pilly and 8 ball would be pretty hard to get much acceleration happening,,,, lot of negative leverage there.

Thumbs up Re: 16' surf rods

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    Have used the Gemini Breakaway/Breeakout sinkers, still have a few. Didn't have much success with them, but then again didnt use them a lot to get use to them. I mainly surf fish where there is not much sweep.

If you get to Brisbane, or near by, I would be interested in having a look at the rod. If it breaks down into 3 pieces I might look at getting one to try out.
    Mate if I get up to Brissy I'll be sure to give you a look...

As for breakaway/ Gemini leads I guess your right not much need for a gripping lead if you don't get much tide run, I'll still like to try a 4oz anyway..

Do you preffer the fish to ''find your bait'' or the ''bait to find your fish'' ?

Great forum by the way....

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    Are you using distance casting techniques with these long rods or can a simple overhand cast be employed.
    I would think a long rod with a pilly and 8 ball would be pretty hard to get much acceleration happening,,,, lot of negative leverage there.
    Most long rods are rated for casting weights from 3-8oz, plus bait. These long rods are designed so anyone can get distance, they aren't designed for pendulum, as the are usualy rung for egg beater rather than multiplier/overhead reels, saying that tournament ''grass'' casters are now getting into long rods, rung for overhead reels..

I use the ''Off The Ground'' style and acheive 150m with 7oz lead, 15lb line whole squid [3''-4'' long] cocooned in bait elastic

Quote Originally Posted by rockfisho View Post

What line classes do you run with the 16 and 18 footers?

cheers

Owen
    The Spanish shore team world champions, used Grauvell rods 15' long rods, they used 6lb mono or knowing the Spanish braid, and size 6 hooks..

You wouldn't want to go above 25lb line imo

Sandstorm.

I see. I run 10 pound for whiting and bream int he surf. 20 lb for tailor, and 30 lb for jew and big stuff like sharks off the beaches and rocks. the 30 lb gives you that extra strength for when you have to battle a powerful fish in the surge or up next to a rock face, where they sometimes try to dive for cover and you have to lock up and heave them out. not to practical on 10-15 lb line.

The fishing method in SEQ and Nnsw is sidecasting. belting out lightly weighted pilchard baits as far as you can, and slowly retrieving them, the tailor love a slowly worked pilly.

If you are fishing with pilchards and 6 ounces of lead or so going for 150 metres in a cast you will find the hooks will be ripped out, because pillies are quite soft.

the majority of surf fishos on the east coast run running rigs which will drift around with the current. i fish with a 1.5 ounce ball sinker and a flight of gangs for tailor. I find i can get this out a good distance to where the fish are feeding. If not i go up to 2 ounces.

cheers

Owen

rockfisho I used to live near Newcastle and fished the rocks and the surf, all over the central coast..

My Grauvell 15' rod has another very light last/tip section specificaly designed for casting delicate baits long distance, using 3 once leads, Penn, Abu, Shimano and Shakespeare all make long rods with light tips, often called match tips..

Now pillis my friend, never really liked pillchards as a bait, used to drive me insane casting out a pilchard on a gang hook, long distance, only to watch the pilchard fly off the hook, the trouble is pilchards are a very good bait as you know..

If and when I get over to Oz I'll be using pilchards, but with a difference, NO GANG HOOKS, imo they arn't flexible enough I'll be using a Pennel rig, using wire instead of mono of course [see image below] and bind the plichard to the hooks with bait elastic, i'd also clip my bait down on a Breakaway bait clip, see second image.. Bait clips protect the bait in flight and streamline the cast, once the rig hits the water the bait clip rises and releases the bait..

http://www.moonfleet-angling.com/zen...&products_id=9

http://www.seagullfishingtackle.com/docs/rigs.htm

I use Aussie styles here in the UK, trusty Alvey on sea bass, i'm not saying my ways better , I just sit here wondering what lies beyond those Aussie surf breakers, sorry for the ramble......

P.S I have some ball sinker around 1-2 oz i'm going to give them a try.....

Mate I have wondering myself about trying to get more distance on a cast using those style of rods. I have spoke to a South African bloke who was telling me how they use simmilar style rods to get live baits out further. I have been trying lighter lines etc but I dont think our hollow glass style rods allow that extra bit for distance. He was talking distances 150 yds plus. I have often wondered about trying to get live bait at the back of the bigger gutters to see if the bigger tailor would get fired up.