Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Raby Bay Canals

Fishing Raby Bay Canals

Hey Guys,

I am trying to find some more local spots to get some experience up as I know next to nothing. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck in the canals of late and what kind of baits they were using. Any resident issues?

I have been checking google maps for some places to go but have no idea where to start. I will be land based. I have been using a link that one of the guys posted about local spots.

http://maps.google.com.au/
    Paste this link into the search bar
    http://kitteridge.net/fish/doc.kml

Any streets where people have had any particular luck in the canal area and what tides??

Thanks in advance....

Re: Fishing Raby Bay Canals

ive caught some good travally in the canals using plastics and seen a few jacks caught aswell, just try everywhere you have asmuch chance of hooking a fish anywhere in there

I did fish out the front of the main original canal when it was first opended. I use to catch Tailor, Bream, juvenile, huge whiting.....the lot. then some dude put an ugly house on da spot. grrrr Now the only place I find to catch is on the other side of the original first canal. Not sure of the road. Only catch squire and bream and occasional flathead.

good luck

mate just try everywhere. i used to fish there heaps with my mate and we would just walk from spot to spot untill we found where they were biting and what tehy were biting on. caught bream, flathead, whiting, squire, trevally, a MASSIVE 3 metre Eel and anything else you can think of. you see some weird stuff in those canals mate.

What type of gear do you have ATL001?, and what type of fishing do you want to do?, and what are your preferred targets? e.g. lure vs bait, soft plastic vs hard body, Whiting vs Jacks etc.

As brendan said lots of fish in the canals, plenty of variety and plenty of spots. If you can narrow down for us what gear you will be using and what you would like to catch we can be more specific with potential locations.

In the interim have a look at Map 9 on this site;

http://www.sunfishqld.com.au/html/map.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    What type of gear do you have ATL001?, and what type of fishing do you want to do?, and what are your preferred targets? e.g. lure vs bait, soft plastic vs hard body, Whiting vs Jacks etc.

As brendan said lots of fish in the canals, plenty of variety and plenty of spots. If you can narrow down for us what gear you will be using and what you would like to catch we can be more specific with potential locations.

In the interim have a look at Map 9 on this site;

http://www.sunfishqld.com.au/html/map.htm
    I am land based and I suck alot. I have only really just got into fishing (after a knee injury) that is why I posted a thread looking for mentors. I fished the shore with baits of sentinal court (according to map 9) I just walked onto a vacant block.

I was using prawns and mullet strip. I got there at 5.30am hoping to feel the spot out as the tide rose, I gave up just before high tide at about 11pm. I got a bunch of small stuff and decent size bream but bites were few and far between. I caught alot of weed

As for what I would like to catch at the moment anything legal,...I'm not real picky

Quote Originally Posted by ATL001 View Post
    I am land based and I suck alot. I have only really just got into fishing (after a knee injury) that is why I posted a thread looking for mentors. I fished the shore with baits of sentinal court (according to map 9) I just walked onto a vacant block.

I was using prawns and mullet strip. I got there at 5.30am hoping to feel the spot out as the tide rose, I gave up just before high tide at about 11pm. I got a bunch of small stuff and decent size bream but bites were few and far between. I caught alot of weed

As for what I would like to catch at the moment anything legal,...I'm not real picky
    I have put a map together for you off Google Maps that will hopefully be a useful guide for you and others.

If you travel to Cleveland by train then the first spot is literally metres away;

Public Pontoon in Raby Bay Harbour - I have not personally fished here but have seen other fishing off the Pontoon and also the boardwalk. Would expect mainly bream but also an outside chance of a cod, trevally or even maybe a jack near the rocks and under the boardwalk. Lots a places to lose a rig up in there though! But hey this would have to be one of the most accessible fishing spots in Brisbane; within 50 metres of the railway station! and only a little more to the centre of the Cleveland CBD and shopping. Market on Sundays literally in sight of this spot, plus restaurants and bar right on the harbour! And great access for the disabled as well!

Public Jetty - This spots is very popular. See a lot of little bream caught but I reckon better fish would be around at dusk or dawn on the right tides as well. Another easy to access spot with good disabled access.

Public Beaches - The park is very popular on weekends. I have had good catches of whiting off the public beaches, plus plenty of small bream and the odd good flattie (attracted by the whiting and good cover) around here. I find it best to pump yabbies here at low tide and then fish the 2nd half of the run up tide over the same ground. But blood worms and/or fresh prawns should also work. The rock walls are good spots to get out to deeper water and there sometimes tailor and trevally working around the ends of the groynes. These park spots are great places to spend a day when the weather is pleasant, any fish are a bonus. Take a fold up chair with you and relax! Believe it or not but there are large coral beds out off these beaches, so beware when casting out here. They are visible if you look but most aren't expecting them! The water is pretty shallow and you can actually wade out to them if you want.

I have marked a series of Land Based spots 1 to 7, comments as follows;

1. Easy to get to and surprisingly a quiet spot because there is no real boat traffic here. Not a lot a tidal flow, but I see people fishing here quite regularly.

2. Vacant block, gives access to both canal behind and the main canal down the side. The canal behind is quite shallow (5ft at low tide) but the main canal is much deeper ans has great flow but you will need heavier gear and a longer rod (8 to 10ft) to fish it properly.

3. Another Vacant block. I can't recall seeing anyone fish this spot so check that there is no signs prohibiting access etc. I mention it because trevally work these rock walls regularly and there are good sized drop offs in the canal entries.

4. Access from public park. Gives access to the faster flowing main canal as well the quieter water in the side canal. A deeper spot with lots of cut outs and drop offs out from the wall. This spot is not far from the main rock wall on the main canal. The tide rips through here so you need heavy gear but a very popular spot, always seems to be someone fishing there.

5. Another vacant block although I think there may be some building activity starting there now. Gives access to both the main canal and side canal.

6. Bank position to access the 2nd main canal entry, this one goes to the marina and harbour.

7. 2nd access point to this canal entry. Access it from the main public park areas. Another spot easy to access for the disabled with paths right to the water.

Creek Entry. This is another relatively easy to access point and from memory also has a public Jetty. The RSL club is less than 100 metres away. I have not fished it but it screams fishy spot to me with the short tidal creek emptying into the canals here.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I fished point 2 and the private marina. I have pretty light gear so that is why I may have struggled a bit. There is alot of weed at point 2 (about a foot high) and I would suggest it would go around to point 3. For you guys who know what you are doing if you could keep a lure about a foot of the bottom you might have some luck.

Point 3 does have signs up saying private property as does point 2 but it looks like plenty of people have ignored them from the amount of line around at low tide. If you don't want to get in trouble then point 5 looks like you can drive pretty much to the water with no fences up.

I might have to try the main rock wall side and point 4 next time and see if I have better luck.

Thanks again for the map.

Hey mate sent ya a pm

There is an empty block on nautilus drive.
    You can either drive there or their is a path along the back of the train station just follow that along and you will find it. I find it best here 1hour into the run out tide. ive caught big bream and my pb here (41cm), also catch mangrove jack trevally the odd flathead and heaps of squireusually sized. for bait i usually chop a pilly into 3 pieces and use 1 at a time soft plastics also do work here quite productively. This method works best for me
    hope it helps
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Are you talking about the empty block on the bottom left corner of Nautilus drive???? Thanks very much for the tip on both the bait type and the spot...I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breambuster33 View Post
    There is an empty block on nautilus drive.
    You can either drive there or their is a path along the back of the train station just follow that along and you will find it. I find it best here 1hour into the run out tide. ive caught big bream and my pb here (41cm), also catch mangrove jack trevally the odd flathead and heaps of squireusually sized. for bait i usually chop a pilly into 3 pieces and use 1 at a time soft plastics also do work here quite productively. This method works best for me
    hope it helps

yep mate thats the one..
    good luck
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Hey Matt,
    Sent you a phone text....for these areas I use to just use the tides and fish with as little weight as possible. Target fish attracting areas like pylons, moored boats etc. I found pilchards to be the best bair by far but prawns, and mullet fillets also worked well. if you can get any baitfish alive is also very productive. A typical rig would be using a 1/0 or 2/0 with a light short trace with either no lead or just very small sinkers. I have also used 3 and 4 ganged (tailor) rigs to also produce the goods for me.
    As for tonight I won't guarantee a fish but should be able to entertain you enough on squire, bream, sweeties and maybe even a shark. We don't stand too much in the tinnie so your mobility should not be a problem.
    let us know anytime whether you can make it or not.

Cheers

Shane

I reckon I'll have to try some of the idea's and points that have been given here. Hell of a lot of great information! I live in Birkdale so Raby Bay is just a stones throw away. I love my fishing so much but I have not a good fish in years (no joke either!). I seem to keep trying Tingalpa creek but it's just no good. I don't have much of a clue. I just throw in a line, pray for a fish and relax. I might duck out at midnight tonight and have a go at Raby Bay

So pilly' portions hey? Sounds like an idea worth trying!

Cheers,

Mitcho.

good on ya mate.
    yep try the pillies for sure.
    i usually use the 4/0 suicide hooks.
    just watch your rod your sure to get a hit
    good luck let me know how you go
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33