Thread: Whats your best Baby Octopus marinades

Whats your best Baby Octopus marinades

Okay guys and girls, whats your best marinade for these little suckers.

Missus wants to try a few different ones, So if you've got a beaut, lets see it..
    Fillet and Release Squad

Re: Whats your best Baby Octopus marinades

4 tbsp ketjap manis (thick soy sauce found at coles or woolies near tomato sauces green bottle with a yellow label)
    2 tbsp honey
    1 tsp sambal oelek (found at coles or woolies in the asian section)
    juice of 1 lemon

marinate for at least 1 hour
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I find that if they are already tenderised (that is their legs are all curled up) then just a quick cut in half and put onto a hot char grill is about all they need, maybe just a bit of Oil to stop them sticking.

ahhhh, just buy it from where i said, you know you want too...lol, was good gear Brett, we just grabbed another large tub of it on Satarday

Daz

I like the sound of that Stuie.....are there any other offering out there...am interested
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

lime juice, sweet chilli, olive oil and fresh crack pepper. Leave overnight and bbq - mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    lime juice, sweet chilli, olive oil and fresh crack pepper. Leave overnight and bbq - mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Thanks Apollo, will give that a go as well...sounds good....Cheers
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

If you hunt back a fair ways you should come up with a method/recipe ive given in the past cooking baby occy using Red Wine, Tomato paste, garlic, onion..Worth the search of if ya cont find it ide be happy to rewrite it for you though have done a few times in the past and dont want to sound like a repeat lol..Cheers

Any of the above marinades will be super.
    But here it your twist to satisfy the back of your toung as well.

Serve it on top of plentiful Rocket leaves with a light grating of lemon rind and parmison.
    The bight of the Rocket wrapped around a piece of baby occy is a delight

lemon juice, chardonnay, fresh fine chopped chilli (leave seeds if you like heat) and a bit of FRESH garlic. Add ginger for a different swing on it.
    Dont use the jar garlic etc. Has vinegar in most of them.
    Heat up juices and reduce with some plumb jam if you like a sweet dish.
    Dont overcook the poor buggers and cook them quickly.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, cracked black pepper, chopped lemon, and sea salt. a peeled and thick cut kiwi fruit will make sure it is tender, and being thick cut easy to remove from marinade, it will not impart any flavour. Leave for 24 to 48 hrs. Onto a hot char grill, move them about very quickly and drizzle small amount of marinade over as cooking, it will look like a forest fire but your neighbours will come knocking wanting to know what that wonderful smell is. Place into a bowl with a little of marinade to self sauce. Place onto a salad of baby spinch leaves, rocket, baby roma tomato, shaved parmesean cheese and enjoy.

Love baby octopus, keep them coming.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

i love nothing more than a big plate of puss....still yet to find a recipe that has worked for me at home as far as meeting my resturaunt experiences. The southport surf club used to serve a dish that i loved, a salad of grilled baby pus with grilled chorizo and a mirin based dressing i think. Hey Wahoo...do you mind sharing your source?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Similar - a splash of fish sauce to the above and red pepper corns instead of pepper.

This one's not a marinade as such but worth a try:

Marinade 1kg in two cups of good red wine for an hour.
    Fry large onion and 4 cloves garlic for 2 minutes then add two tins crushed tomatoes, fresh thyme, splash of lemon juice, pepper and few grains of sugar. Simmer for 5mins then add wine and octopus. Cover and simmer for 45mins. Serve with garlic bread/ crusty bread to dip in.