Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Review of the new Shimano Stella SW

Re: My Review of the new Shimano Stella SW

Chucky,

No, it wasn't one of those things!!

It was many years ago obviously, and old Joe Byrne at Goondiwindi, having three daughters, was looking for somebody to hand down his Purdey and it looked like it might have gone to me, because Jane and I were looking like a couple.

Jane and I broke up over a misunderstanding and that was that. Amen.

Back to the Purdey shotgun. Bloody incredible. Where it broke was inlaid silver with all fancy carvings etc. Would be worth a lot of money today.

However, I'm off the subject.

Alan does a very good job of reviewing various reels.

TOL

Up to your usual high standard again, thanks Alan.

bassfan

Great reporting mate well done, i would hope we all can get somthing out of all that.

FANTASTIC review!

awsome stuff. stella it is then for me hehehe
    figjam :wink:

Awesome report.
    Absolutely fantastic read.
    well done.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Well done! Nice review. You must have lots of guts to strip away a $2k worth reel.
    Do you need to order it in Japan if you want to buy one? I'm planning on getting one as a gift to myself. Thanks

Thanks for posting Alan, I enjoyed your review immensely!
    Extremely informative and your first-hand experiences with this reel and it's competitors/predecessors are priceless.
    Cheers.

After reading this review I went and purchased the 18000SW for my trip to fiji. I was so impressed I came home and bought the 5000SW for my spinning/offshore plastic outfit. I still love my Certate Hyper but these reals are sweet too!

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Alan thanks a lot for this review. Another question about the FD. How would you compare it to the new Twinpower SW series of reels. They look quite good and are a little bit cheaper than the FD. Are the new Twinpowers more suited to saltwater usage than the FD? I'm in a quandry as to what one I should buy, a twinpower 4000 sw, 5000 sw or a stella 4000 FD. I might even go the whole nine yards and get a 5000 sw stella. Line class will be 30 to 50 lb braid.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Mark.

Outstanding work Alan. Helps put it into perspective why they cost what they do.

Thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    Alan thanks a lot for this review. Another question about the FD. How would you compare it to the new Twinpower SW series of reels. They look quite good and are a little bit cheaper than the FD. Are the new Twinpowers more suited to saltwater usage than the FD? I'm in a quandry as to what one I should buy, a twinpower 4000 sw, 5000 sw or a stella 4000 FD. I might even go the whole nine yards and get a 5000 sw stella. Line class will be 30 to 50 lb braid.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Mark.
    The Stella FD is mainly a freshwater reel. It could be used in saltwater if necessary if cared for and the magnesium body was kept free of deep scratches (if exposed magnesium will corrode quickly in saltwater). TwinPower SW on the other hand is a dedicated saltwater reel (SW = Salt Water). It's the second line of shimano reels for those who want a Stella SW but can't afford one. A downgraded Stella in some sense. The twinpower will serve you well, but my sincere advice is that if you can afford the extra $, you should get a Stella SW. You are too close to the top to miss on owning the finest reel produced in the world today. I love this machine and no doubt you will too

Thanks everyone for the kind words

Cheers

Does the PG model have the same salt water corrosion resistance as the SW?

cheers

Mick

Mick the 'PG' stands for Power Gear and is a variation of one of the gear ratios within the model and sizes. If it's an SW it will say that as well or FA, FB etc. so you'll ahve to check which updated model you are looking at if that makes sense.
    For example you may be looking at the 8000 SW PG.

Alan I think I may know why they have the 2 holes in the rear shield that you queried about in your review.

"Because there are two holes in the shield itself. I have no idea what for. It's true that water will not go into the gear box because everything behind is perfectly sealed, but why not plug those holes and keep the water out in first place??"

It would be an unecessary risk to try and seal this as well. Sure it can be done but it would create another potential failure point in terms of allowing water in. If it was sealed but did fail, the salt water could get in but would be hard to get out (unless you actually removed it each trip), allowing salt build up and a point of corrosion. This would be more evident on the lower quality models which do not have the two holes yet. My brother has a Stradic FI and has just seen this problem as the shield on this is not water proof and does not have 2 holes.
    To me the 2 holes allow free flowing access for the water so it can not only get in, but get out. Cleaning would be easier too with not only 1 hole but a second for better flow to prevent a 'bubble' from water tension if that makes sense.
    I reckon it's ingenious!!

The other item was the spool lip you say increases casting distance and the way they've done it. I reckon it's designed this way as the contact point for the line will change depending on how much line is on the spool. Sure you'd expect to use a full spool most of the time but not always. During a long cast the contact point would change as the angle off the spool gets deeper. Initially it would be closer to 180 degrees and would get progressively more acurate as less line was on the spool.
    Does that make sense? Sorry had to type quickly...