Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Review of the new Shimano Stella SW

Re: My Review of the new Shimano Stella SW

Yep - great report alan. Lovely piece of engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by shanejohnson View Post
    one thing i have read about the sw is the bail roller is bomb barded with nuclear particles for strength etc. ?? have you heard of such alan.
    cheers shano
    Yes. This is what I meant when I spoke about them being finished in a miniature nuclear reactor. I spoke to people in Japan back in March 2008 when they were first released, and to be honest the process explained was way above my head: Bombardment with carbon atoms in a pressurised vacuum chamber with gradual introduction of argon gas and such crazy stuff!! When I first fished it, my mates were joking that I should take it easy not to end up in a huge mushroom shaped cloud

Serious technological muscle flexing by Shimano there.

Cheers mate

Dude,

That was one of the best technical reads on fishing gear in a loooong time!!! I write a bit myself and i was engrossed by your ability to explain the benefits of one brand over another without having to degrade the opposition...great stuff...very informative and simply thorough!!!

Awesome...
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

Excellent!!!!
    You are a masterful communicator.Ill look forward to future reports

Bombardment with carbon atoms in a pressurised vacuum chamber with gradual introduction of argon gas and such crazy stuff!! When I first fished it, my mates were joking that I should take it easy not to end up in a huge mushroom shaped cloud
    I think what you are refering to is called Diamond-Like-Carbon coating (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon) which "Unlike other surface treatments that either increase wear resistance or improve friction behaviour, make both properties available in a single surface treatment."

So basically, your Stella SW is not nuclear, it is diamond coated! If I was a smart-arse, I would ask you if you have an assorted hand-bag...
    Last edited by metaloid; 13-03-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    I think what you are refering to is called Diamond-Like-Carbon coating
    Exactly. But can we please change the word "diamond" to "isometric hexoctahedral crystal lattice of carbon atoms"? It's the same as "diamond", but this way we won't have a smart arse coming here to ask me if I have a matching hand bag

If I was a smart-arse, I would ask you if you have an assorted hand-bag...
    Too late

when is Shimano going to put one way roller bearings of this quality into their
    overhead reels?

Thanks Alan you just helped me make up my mind Wooooohooooo Stella here I come. Will get either an 8000 Sw or 10000 Sw
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

griz, go the 10000sw, same reel, same dollars, but more line capacity

Quote Originally Posted by griz066 View Post
    Thanks Alan you just helped me make up my mind Wooooohooooo Stella here I come. Will get either an 8000 Sw or 10000 Sw
    Between 8000SW and 10000SW you should absolutely go for the 10K. But shimano Australia sells an 8000SWPG too, which differes from 8000SW and 10000SW in having lower ratio that is more suited for jigging. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    griz, go the 10000sw, same reel, same dollars, but more line capacity
    Its an xtra $100 for I am guessing 50mtrs of line. The 8000sw holds 250m of 50lb braid I am thinking that I should be able to slow something up before the bottom of the spool if the drags on these reel live up to the reviews. What do you all think?
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Great report! Who has the best deals on the SW20000 atm? Mo's got them for $1200 is anyone else cheeper?

Alan,

thanks for the awesome review. I will never afford one...but it was a great read and to understand thed complexities of reels and why you pay for what you get...if you ever want to do reviews on mid range reels (even a mid-range review would be good) I am sure plenty of fishos here would appreciate it.....I know I would.

thanks again and cheers Steve

That's a great report !!!

I like the no nonsense, but just factual tell it the way it is approach.

Look forward to the next one !!

Just off topic, you mentioned a James Purdey rifle in your intro. It was about 1963 that I was offered a Purdey shotgun for nothing. Unfortunately I broke up with the girl and the Purdey never eventuated. Woe is me !!

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    That's a great report !!!

Just off topic, you mentioned a James Purdey rifle in your intro. It was about 1963 that I was offered a Purdey shotgun for nothing. Unfortunately I broke up with the girl and the Purdey never eventuated. Woe is me !!

TOL
    Did it come with a wedding!