Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Ammonium nitrate containers lost overboard in rough seas at Moreton Bay

A CARGO ship has lost 32 containers of ammonium nitrate overboard in Queensland's Moreton Bay.
    The ship was travelling in rough seas near Point Lookout at Stradbroke Island, while on its way to Newcastle, when the spill happened about 5am (AEST).
    Thirty-two containers of ammonium nitrate were lost overboard and an additional three tonnes of the chemical spilt on the deck.
    Ambulance and fire crews were waiting for the ship at the Port of Brisbane. It was expected to arrive about 11am.
    A police spokesman said water police were on standby if required.
    A severe weather warning remains in place between the north tip of Fraser Island and Coolangatta due to tropical cyclone Hamish.
    The Bureau of Meteorology said a large high pressure system over the western Tasman Sea in combination with Hamish was producing strong to gale force winds and large waves about the southeast Queensland coast.
    Early this morning the category three cyclone was about 275km east of Sandy Cape.
    The cyclone is expected to continue to weaken and turn to the northwest later today.
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

I am speechless. God help us is all I can manage at the moment.

Jeremy

From Wikpedia: "The chemical compound ammonium nitrate, the nitrate of ammonia with the chemical formula NH4NO3, is a white powder at room temperature and standard pressure. It is commonly used in agriculture as a high-nitrogen fertilizer, and it has also been used as an oxidizing agent in explosives, including improvised explosive devices."

Seems serious enough to me. Excess nutrient can cause algal bloom etc, turbidity.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Can that amount be harmfull diluted in the ocean and will it result in fish kills? I know they use small amounts in aquariums.

One news report has already had an "expert" say that Ammonium Nitrate is fairly benign. WTF is 32 containers of Ammonium Nitrate benign compared to? perhaps it is benign compared to a nuclear bomb

Wait for the algal bloom - coming to a fishing spot near you.

What constitutes a container of this chemical, where is the current heading out there? Where are the containers now...on the bottom?

Only a scary scenario if inside MB with it's limited ability to flush/dilute relative to the ocean proper, still too much not said to form an understanding.

cheers fnq

On its own ammonium nitrate is not that harmfull and i doubt that even 32 containers worth would cause an algae bloom in the ocean especially seein as the sea was a rough enough to cause the spill. It should quickly disperse due to the turbulence of the water. At least thats what I would be hoping for.

A CARGO ship has lost 32 containers of ammonium nitrate overboard in Queensland's Moreton Bay.
    The ship was travelling in rough seas near Point Lookout at Stradbroke Island, while on its way to Newcastle, when the spill happened about 5am (AEST).

Jeremy,

It says it was en route to Newcastle, and travelling in rough seas near Point Lookout, which indicates it was off shore. If that's the case, was the material lost off shore, or was the ship coming into Brisbane/Moreton Bay to sit out the rough weather before proceeding to Newcastle and lost the material then? If so, then it didnt lose it near Point Lookout, it lost it in the bay. If it wasnt coming into the bay, and was steaming south near Point Lookout, then one can only summise the containers were lost off shore, and not in Moreton bay. the report doesnt make sense to me. Off shore or the bay? The way i read the report it was off shore when it lost the containers. Either way, ooopppssss gotta hurt the water

Mike

Robyn Ironside
    March 11, 2009 06:27am
    8am UPDATE: CHEMICAL experts have warned the spill of 32 containers of ammonium nitrate into Moreton Bay could "hammer the environment".
    The Pacific Adventure , travelling from Newcastle, lost the containers in heavy seas, off Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island.
    Each of the containers is believed to hold up to 20,000 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, a toxic white powder used as fertiliser and in explosives.
    It was the main ingredient in the Bali bombings in 2002 and the Oklahoma City bombing in 1985.
    Another 3000 tonnes is believed to have spilled on board the ship which is due into the Port of Brisbane about 11am.
    Director of Chemistry at the University of Newcastle, Dr Ian van Altena said there was "no risk of an explosion" from the spill.
    "Not a chance. You need to mix ammonium nitrate with proportionate amounts of diesel for that," he said.
    However the risk of an environmental disaster was fairly high.
    "It has the potential to cause some drastic changes to the ecology," Dr van Altena said.
    "We all know about the problems in the Great Barrier Reef caused by fertiliser washing off the canefields."
    He said the chemical could promote the growth of algae and seaweeds and seriously impact the important seagrasses in the bay.
    "It all depends on the current flows and how quickly it disperses. Certainly I would say you'd want to whip that back out of the ocean as quickly as possible, particularly if it's in a sensitive and relatively shallow area."
    The Brisbane Harbour master, Martime Safety Queensland and the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service's Hazmat team are investigating the spill.
    More details soon.
    Did you see the incident? Send us your pics or YouTube link and we'll upload your video by email or by MMS to 0428 258 117.

Share this article What is this?

The Pacific Adventurer, the vessel from which the ammonium nitrate containers were lost in Moreton Bay.

ndm.kit.halfpage();
    ndm.kit.halfpage();
    ndm.kit.halfpage();

Also in News

Woops, has someone in the media made a typo?????//

32 containers cantaining 20,000 tonnes each? Total 640,000 tonnes? A 20ft container is usuallygood for 20 or 22 tonnes, not 20,000 tonnes.

I doubt the ship would carry anywhere near that weight.

Maybe the media should verify the information. And again, it says OFF Point Lookout. Well to me that is not IN Moreton Bay.

Mike

Also what constitutes a container of this chemical ie how is the chemical packaged inside? I seriously suspect they are not going to chance air/water tightness to the container only....

The zealots will have a field day with this.

cheers fnq

Why are they sending it into Brisbane if the decks are covered in it...??

Wouldnt it be better to clean it off out in open water...???

Good thing we have green zones to stop the nasty fishermen damaging the enviroment

Quote Originally Posted by The-easyrider View Post
    Good thing we have green zones to stop the nasty fishermen damaging the enviroment
    there will be some very green green zones now