Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Re: The EPA and the oil spill "clowns"

FNQ>
    Mate, with all respect,,, you are kidding??. Every single beach worm , ghost crab,pippi, cockle, rock crab,etc. From the NW point to half way down the island..... gone.
    If left there it will wash up and down the beaches already affected and then spread to areas still unaffected by the successive high tides ,wind, and currents.
    Have a look at the photos from the ABC web site. IT"S A DISGRACE.

The EPA has clean -up teams " Standing By" ,, for heavens sake.

Here is a tangible opportunity for EPA to show the community some effective practical leadership, and environment protection, instead of pointing the finger at rec fishers and interfering in other departments portfolio's.
    EPA ....MIA

i just watched the news.
    this is a catastrophe. noone in their right mind could say anything else.
    f... the patio.
    fnq, where r u? theres no respect. you have to be kidding.
    stu, iam with you.

yeah it is a shame about the sand inhabitants but they will be back and quite fast also...this is not a do it now or all is lost scenario.

Cleaning the ugliness now will not bring them back, the strand lines are largely oxidised oil. The EPA knows this, why do more real damage just for the visual appeal?

Yeah cleaning the patio is very apt.

cheers fnq

FNQ, again, with all due respect, are you a scientist or the equivalent???

This post is in relation to both "oil" threads.

well u clan ur patio, and lucky we havny got u organising the clean up.
    its a disgrace

Just saw them speaking to some goose from the EPA on the Ch9 news, all he could do was wax lyrical in the usual public service speal they always carry on with. Public servants are really in a world of their own.
    Which fool let this ship steam into the cyclone and why did it take so long to even get EPA people on the ground on Moreton? They should have been on the first barge the minute they heard about this tradgedy. Even if they were not needed, it's better than arriving today after the beaches are covered in oil.
    Hopefully this will send more of a message to the Qld public that the Green Zones are a joke because the EPA are behind them.
    I guess there isn't really anything the man on the street can do to help the clean up?

Re: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Channel 10 news earlier:

The Hoing Kong based owners of the vessel said they will be paying for the clean up, and are sending over their own clean up crew

Channel 9 news earlier:

The EPA have said the oil spill is worse than first thought. They are having a meeting to work out what to do.

Medias words, not mine.

Mike

Interesting theory scalem,

Some claim jurassic park is just a row of lost containers and they show up O.K..
    Then again, an amateur fisho finding something that's going to be his very own snapper spot in a couple of years might be a large temptation?

Then again, what's 20 odd tonne of fertiliser worth on the market these days?

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post

This post is in relation to both "oil" threads.
    No I am a home dad, best career i ever had or will ever have I suspect, I will never go back to tertiary qualified employment in the environmental industry, it's lost the plot, vocal environmental uneducated lines of Seahorses behind everything 'catastrophic' these days.

This could have been a catastrophe, we got of so very light.

cheers fnq

no i call light 1litre bottle of oil 30 tonne not so much, put a barrel of oil all over your patio then let me know when i disapears, should only be a few weeks, yeah stuff will come back but by no means over night EPA said the effect of this will last for years, the oil has gone up both freshwater creeks on moreton eagers and spitfighter, now they are creeks your not even allowed to swim in, i guess the old jungle perch will have to learn to swim in oil because ive seen how good EPA are at using shovels and rakes, i spose it will only take a week to clean all that up, i can see it now everyone looking at who's in charge and asking what do we do with this shovel i didnt learn this at uni, you think that seeing the oil has mostly effected green and yellow zones they would get something bigger then a shovel

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    ....this is not an environmental disaster...it's not good but not a disaster either
    Sitting here reading through this thread, I have have to say im dam sick of you sitting up there in north qld trying to tell us this is not a disaster. For all of us down here looking at the pictures on the news of oil in the waters we fish, and covering the beaches we take our families to, its a real disaster, a bloody huge disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post
    no i call light 1litre bottle of oil 30 tonne not so much, put a barrel of oil all over your patio then let me know when i disapears, should only be a few weeks, yeah stuff will come back but by no means over night EPA said the effect of this will last for years, the oil has gone up both freshwater creeks on moreton eagers and spitfighter, now they are creeks your not even allowed to swim in, i guess the old jungle perch will have to learn to swim in oil because ive seen how good EPA are at using shovels and rakes, i spose it will only take a week to clean all that up, i can see it now everyone looking at who's in charge and asking what do we do with this shovel i didnt learn this at uni, you think that seeing the oil has mostly effected green and yellow zones they would get something bigger then a shovel
    I saw vision of one creek on the news, that was a real shame for it's local environment.

I will still try and keep it as broad as possible though, all organisms have a range they will thrive within, this slick wherever it washes totally overwhelms this range...they die fast, no cleanup will bring them back now -they are dead, the slick that we see washing everywhere up and back is washing for the 100 thousandth time over dead substrates...all that is left now is to wait until it remediates it's self.

The reality from here on in is that all damage will naturally remediate well, whether the now dead areas are cleaned or not.

The organisms we can see where never the point it's the ones we cannot see - trillions of them, all orders above these will stem from those. It would be a catastrophe if serious heavy metal or radiation or seriously bioaccumulating chemicals caused this but they didn't, it will rebound very well, just like any ones backyard does after say spraying it with a short lived herbaside.

The above is speaking very broadly but it is the state of play ATM and the EPA know it, hell they knew it before this relatively low volume for area oil slick hit the beach.

In 2 weeks a person will be able to drive the worst beach and catch fish.

cheers fnq

This post is in relation to both "oil" threads
    I'm with FNQ on this one and he's about right as far as the science is concerned. The fractions of the heavy oil that do the worst damage are the volatile and water soluble components that have all dispersed by the time the heavier fractions wash up on the coast. The black or brown mess that comes ashore is fairly innocuous to birds and mammals once it has been washed up. If they come into contact with it when it's freshly spilt its a different matter as they then become exposed to the lighter and more toxic fractions and have to deal with fur and feathers being clogged.

The shoreline ecology recovers pretty quickly in about 12-18mths after a spill that results in heavy oiling. However the recovery isnt equal for all species and some residual effects from oil remain as does some of the oil but this depends on the type of shoreline and type of oil. Significant damage can result from clean ups, either from the chemicals used as dispersants which are often more toxic than the oil, or physical destruction of habitats when mechanical means are used. So from a science view point once a spill has occurred let nature take its course as it does a pretty good job without our help. However a much better option is to put systems in place that prevent the spills from occuring in the first place. There's a wealth of information on the recovery of coastline ecosystems after spills including the Torrey Canyon in '67 through to the Exxon Valdez in '89.

However that doesnt help much when considering the impact on people's amenity and enjoyment of the coast, tourism, livelihoods, etc.

Oz

Here's some sites focused on the Exxon Valdez that provide further reading on the subject:
    http://www.valdezsciences.com/index.cfm
    http://www.evostc.state.ak.us
    http://response.restoration.noaa.gov

I see your'e point FNQ. And i will have to believe you on the science of this as i don't know the properties of these chemicals. But after seeing the footage on the news tonight i have to say i'm horrified that this has happened. A disaster it most certainly is!
    Just read Justjacks respose and have to agree that this kind of disaster is always on the cards with thousands of container ships entering the port each year. They are delivering the things we are accustomed to in our modern society. Oil,Resins ect. All used by us to get out there and fish. So what i'm saying is that we are all partially to blame for this for living the way that we do. Ben

but yet again its like if a plane crashes and everyone dies, well we know they have perished so we will leave it at that.... i know this is a situation about humans and is hard to compare but i feel as an environment we have destroyed as humans both should be handled the same