Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Re: morten bay oil slick

Quote Originally Posted by hkconc View Post
    Worst disaster ever in seq waters. .
    Been plenty of lives lost in SEQ waters- unfortunatley it looks like another 2 from the trawler off Rocky. I think you should change your post to worst environmental disaster.

Ok people, when the water calms down be careful out there when you are out fishing again .
    Containers usually float at sea level or just below where you cant see them. Who knows where they will drift and when they will sink.
    BE CAREFUL.
    Stue

yer im sure the army will be out there looking for them, (in about 6 months time.)
    They got nothing else to do but waste tax payers money on joy flights. Send them out asap on a search and distroy, or even a search and recovery mission. What if they packed with anthrax, would they still leave them where the fell overboard?

Re: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Semi funny story about floating containers. About 15yrs ago we were doing a yacht race beween Sydney and Newcastle in about 15kts of wind. Sea state was good and same with visability. Next thing were hits something and went from 8.5knts to 0. One of the boys was thrown into the water. We took the hit clean on the keel, so we had several minutes of trying to get things sorted. Two boys went to check the keel bolts whilst two others flung the dan bouy, hit the MOB button on the GPS and retained a visual on him at all times. The rest dropped sails, cleared lines from over the side and pulled floor board checking for damage. After the all clear motor was started and we motored back to pick up Johno who was sitting in the water, hanging onto the dan bouy. As we got closer, we could see him smiling away. Then as we got about 30m away he stood up with all but 20-30cm of him clear of the water. Well didn't that change our plan of attack. He was standing on a shipping container that looked like it had not been in the water long. We eased on up and retrieved him, tied on a float, then called into the water police and coast guard with coordinates and current drift data.

Johno never let us forget that he could walk on water and he told the story better and better over the years when well lubricated.

So for those boys looking to head out to try and find these containers, be very careful as we had no chance of spotting this one dispite a relatively slow speed and good conditions.

This disaster is a result of the howard years!(and a bit of bad weather) He did away with Aussie ships and aussie crews and left it open for these foreign owned rust buckets called Flag of convenience Ships with poorly maintained ships and poorly paid foreign crews who could do the job cheaper! Thanks Johny.

Latest update on the spill(s);

Seems there was a mix of fuel and Ammonium Nitrate that is making them a tad cautious (so would I be!!)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Qld Govt defends oil spill response

Posted 19 minutes ago
    Updated 11 minutes ago

Oil slick washing onto Marcoola beach on the Sunshine Coast.

The Queensland Government has defended the time it has taken to respond to a 20-tonne oil spill off south-east Queensland.
    The cargo ship Pacific Adventurer's hull was holed early yesterday morning when it lost 31 containers of ammonium nitrate overboard in rough seas whipped up by Cyclone Hamish.
    There are now fears of a major environmental disaster, with oil slicks washing ashore on Moreton Island off Brisbane and further north at Marcoola on the Sunshine Coast.
    Queensland Sustainability Minister Andrew McNamara says the potentially dangerous chemicals and severe weather conditions hampered efforts to inspect the spill yesterday.
    "First off, the boat had to be made safe," he said.
    "There was 25 kilos of ammonium nitrate that entered the fuel tank which contained a very significant amount of fuel oil - that has to be resolved before you can have people in and around the vessel.
    "Similarly there was 2,000 kilos of ammonium nitrate mixed with oil on the ship's deck."
    Queensland Transport Minister John Mickel says the Pacific Adventurer will dock at the Port of Brisbane this morning, with investigations underway into how the incident happened.
    "The Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority are working with Maritime Safety Queensland to conduct a full investigation of what happened with this incident," he said.
    The slick is affecting Moreton Island, Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast.
    Surf lifesaver Dave McLaine says there is a lot of oil washed up on to Marcoola beach.
    "It's quite heavy in some spots - I've just been down there for a walk myself and have come back and it's caked all over over my thongs and all over my feet," he said.
    "I've just spent about 15 minutes in the shower trying to get it all off."
    Resident Robyn Cameron also says her feet have been covered in black oil at Marcoola beach.
    "It's up to my ankles," she said.
    "I first thought it was just the foam from the rough conditions and then I realised, 'oh my goodness, this is oil', so I've been out with the citrus cleaner to scrub it off with a brush."
    Wildlife dying

Queensland Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) spokesman Clive Cook says it has started treating wildlife injured by the spill.
    He says choppy seas are spreading the oil slick north-west from Moreton Bay.
    "We've had one confirmed report of a sea bird with oil on it and two others unconfirmed, so we are prepared for the contingency of treating oiled wildlife," he said.
    "We have a number of staff trained up in oiled wildlife response.
    "They're spread up and down the coast and we're starting to back up the initial crews."
    'Clean-up could take years'

Channel 7 pilot Greg Rogers says the slick will take months, if not years, to clean up.
    "The worst of it is still within the 10-kilometre radius of the cape but its still quite evident on the beach," he said.
    "The pristine white sands of Moreton Island are very black in places today."
    He says the scene is reminiscent of the 1978 Amoco Cadiz oil spill in France.
    "It's just one continuous black beach from Cape Moreton down to ... Blue [Lagoon] and there is evidence of less contamination further south," he said.
    Mr Rogers says the high tides have pushed the contamination right up into the sand dunes.
    "All the rocks are covered in oil - God knows how many millions of crustaceans have died as a result," he said.
    He says a pelican has been taken in by the Tangalooma hospital as the first of many animals affected by the spill which the hospital expects to find.
    "All its white feathers are brown as though its ... one of the American pelicans - all brown and ugly."
    A barge carrying clean-up teams is due to arrive in the area at 10:30am AEST and Mr Rogers says the clean-up is going to be lengthy and costly.
    "Whoever is ultimately responsible - whether it be an insurance company or the shipping company - are in for an awful lot of money," he said.

Channel 10 just showed footage of the spill washing up on Straddie and Moreton Beaches. Not pretty............... not pretty at all

Mike

why was the captain heading into a cyclone anyhow. He was from newcastle and heading to brisbane, into a cyclone. We all knew a week ago there was a cyclone off the coast

Bloody Hell!

Going to Moreton Island next week with the boys for some fishing???

Green Zones, Oil spill, Ammonia Nitrate, Cyclones.

Looks like I will have to pack and extra carton to keep me busy.

I suspect that the place will be crawling with EPA, Media and Police types

Bruce. I guess we will have to stick to the Western beach. The winds might have forced us to do it anyway. The extra carton is a good idea and I'll pack an extra meal as our normal fish meal looks in jeapody.
    Regards
    TheSav

I think its an oppurtunity for us ammetur fishermen/ woman to help with cleaning up the damaged area as much as possible regarles of who is to blame. Does anyone know if this can occur.
    Certainly give it to the EPA and show that we are about the enviroment?

PS dont slog my comments i think they are relevent regardless.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I think its an oppurtunity for us ammetur fishermen/ woman to help with cleaning up the damaged area as much as possible regarles of who is to blame. Does anyone know if this can occur.

Mick
    You will not have time, by all accounts it will have oxidised by then (the weather is rough), the environment is working like a trooper already, best to save any unlucky bird life, the fish will hardly know it's there...except for regions of the beach where Dart etc would easily find a feed...they will move on but come back as will everything else.

And besides the zealots are for sure mobilising their environmental cult members for an on mass assault on the beaches, this could be a political opportunity unparalleled for their cause.

This assault will in all probability be potentially more damaging to the environment as a whole than just leaving nature to deal with this as easily as it has done so many countless times over the eons.

cheers fnq

The EPA and the oil spill "clowns"

I live on the Sunshine Coast and just heard on the radio that the EPA have asked the Sunshine Coast councile to immediately stop all cleaning of the 8klms of beach that has heavy oil on it. The EPA said not to use machinery but rather use hand tools like shovels and racks, these guys are dead set dick heads. It would take months to clean 8klm’s of oil with hand tools, what are these guys smoking beside their own tool. Lets not worry about lost revenue from the tourist dollars and the jobs that will soon follow in the wake of this disaster. The EPA will just sit back and wait for all the dead sea life to wash up before they do something about it. The EPA is a wast of tax payers money, and what the hell is Captain Bligh doing about this? They were so shore that it wouldn’t hit the beaches and look at it now, again the whole lot of them are self serving brain dead turds.

Stu

Re: The EPA and the oil spill "clowns"

The EPA is correct, the minor real damage (it being there) is already done, it's nice to clean the patio I suppose but why risk doing more damage ie to the foredunes?

This is so far from a catastrophe it's not funny.

What if the oil was clear?

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

Mick
    Hang on, Mick has a point. This morning I heard NONE of the containers have been recovered, not one. Can you imagine ( as Timiboy has already suggested he goes out to try find any) if as many offshore capable amatueur and professional craft locate some of these containers , that will be the best coordinated effort we have ever dreamed of, which enforces what we always knew. Fishermen are part of the solution. The majority of us help sustain our marine environment, not destroy it.

I can see it now "SOBA volunteers find lost containers"

Naturally finding them won't be by Impact of another kind but environmental

But I just saw on the news that they may be as deep as 250mtrs. Current may bring them in more shallow . I have never seen a container on a sounder, how obvious would one be?

Scalem